“Mare Nosrtum- underwhelming”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were anticipating an excellent meal at this well known Salerno restaurant.
My primi spaghetti a la vongole was decent but my squid was very disappointingly grilled to be rubbery.
My partner's chicken was also over cooked and dry.
We have returned home to Canada and have had squid perfectly cooked and realized that this meal on our vacation was a true disappointment.
The service was quite good but the female owner/manager circled the restaurant and talked to every other table but ours.
I realize we are not Italian but we were certainly not made to feel welcome as tourists.
Even in paying her directly at the case desk she didn't ask how our meal was nor make any exchange.
Too bad.
We had great aspirations for this experience.
It is in fisherman's' alley so one would think the sea food would be superb.
My lesson, in hindsight, is to return any dish that is poorly cooked.
When one is paying a good price for a meal it is better to get what one expects rather than looking back with disappointment and regret.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Not sure why this restaurant has such mixed reviews when it comes to service. It may be due to the fact that most customers are business people and they are not very tourist friendly. I went with a friend whilst working locally and the lady who was working front of house couldn't have been more attentive. She would make you feel so at ease, explaining the menu, and tactfully touch you during the conversation. The food matched the service with the fish antipasti highly recommended.

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

We arrived half an hour earlier than we booked for and were not offered a drink until after we ordered our meal an hour later. One waiter spilled a glass of wine onto my husband's plate. We had to ask for bread with the starter and also were not provided with lobster crackers or hand bowls. The female Maitre'D, having asked if everything was OK with our meal, was dismissive of our comments. We tend to agree with another reviewer who suggested this is not the most tourist-friendly establishment.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

I went to this restaurant for lunch with my best friend and was just amazing the fish was delicious the service very professional! the wine outstanding i recommend this restaurant to all my friends for the food the service and the place is very nice with a big terrace facing the water!

Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

This place is a joke! From the service to the food. Salerno is not traveler friendly to begin with and this restaurant takes it to a whole other level. From the greeting of coming into the place they treat you as if they are doing you a favor. I maybe could understand if their attitude reflected the quality of the food. Well, it didn't. Everything was salty and the "fresh seafood" was so smelly and not worth the calories. I really have never been so uncomfortable in a place. I wouldn't come here again. Being in the service industry 25 years and owning multiple restaurants it's hard for me writing this. I don't like to put other businesses down, but this was a real disappointment on the art of just being friendly and serving clean food.