All reviewsthe main squarebasic hotelsea viewsteep stairsst andreacars drivingchurch bellstwo single bedsroom was largepiazza duomoamalfi cathedralsmall liftlocation is fantasticferry terminalbed was comfortableheavy luggagebit dated
Reviewed 28 July 2018

This is what I would call a boutique hotel. Only does breakfast, does not have a restaurant. Even so it is right in the centre, restaurants seconds away. Main port and beach to the front, main square (piazza) to the rear. Absolutely perfect location.
Quiet rooms despite it's location. Has an elevator to access the rooms with large bags, although we usually used the stairs. Only 3 story hotel. Large room with a balcony and sea view. Air conditioner worked perfectly. Great sleep at a reasonable price.
Breakfast was great, good selection without going over the top, and free cappuccino, or whatever coffee/tea you want. And they make it...

Room Tip: Sea views away from the busy square behind the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Went as a family of 4 and it’s often not easy to find a family hotel room, so when we saw this online we took it. The room was clean, basic and big enough for 4 of us. Beds had just the right firmness for us. It had a balcony to the piazza and this was outstanding. Being on the balcony and watch the people and take in the night life was one of my best experiences in Italy. We were greeted by name when we arrived and the check in was quick an efficient. They gave us a good restaurant recommendation and let us check out one hour later the next morning so we could finish the Green Grotto tour. After checkout they offered to store our bags and use their facilities until our ferry departed. Breakfast was quite adequate for us. While this is not a luxury hotel, it provided for us what we needed in the best location in town with a smile and friendly service. Would defined stay there again.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here. Was told all rooms have a balcony and ours was on the 2 floor overlooking the main square of Amalfi with a fantastic view of the spectacular church.
The building was once a noble house judging by its prominent position,balconies and high ceilings. The rooms are quite sparse with basic furnishings. Very firm beds.

The hotel seems to be run by a local Italian family as there are babies and children present in the lobby/breakfast room much of the time. Bit crowded in this room at breakfast time. Its not a professionally run establishment but that’s not a criticism.
This hotel helps immerse you in local Amalfi life in a great location but if you want the more upmarket Amalfi experience go somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2018

I booked the Hotel Fontana ocean view room knowing that there would be exhaust and noise during the day. The noise would start about 7:30 am but if your doors are shut you won't even hear it. Some exhaust during the day if traffic is bad. The hotel is right across the street from the Buses and Ferries. The staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is a little crowded and scarce. There are about 18 steps to the lobby. For the price, not bad

Room Tip: Maybe get a room facing the Piazza
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2018

This review is going to be a little different from my standard. Please humor me. This Hotel is absolutely A1 position in Amalfi. It doesn't get much better as it sits on the piazza. It has soooo much potential to be something special. Now this isn't a negative review. It was fine and suited the purpose - but it could be absolutely awesome and that is where frustration derives.

Parking is actually very easy. You park around the headland for 20 euro a night and then walk through a tunnel pretty much to the main part of town and the hotel.

You walk up about 25 very steep stairs to the reception. The rooms are basic but are fine. Bfast is simple, nothing special but workable given the food options near by I wasnt stressed. It is clearly a family style hotel as many of the staff have their kids running around in the foyer which again I have no problem with.

BUT

This hotel could be absolutely awesome but it has no vibe at all. I am sorry to say this but their is just no enthusiasm from the staff. In fact I think if they even smiled their face would crack. Thank goodness for the night manager as he is very happy and smiling. At first I thought it was just rudeness - honestly the attitude of the Bfast staff has to be experienced to be believed. Then I overheard a couple asking the front desk about a bus to ravello to which the response was I don't know - honestly the bus leaves 20m from the hotel - its basic service.

After further consideration I realised the issue.......the staff are not confident with their English. Now I am very empathetic with this. We are in Italy and I know about 5 words of Italian so this whole situation is one sided and I am the one to blame. BUT.....there is an old saying "Courtesy costs nothing" a pleasant smile and show of enthusiasm for your guests would change the terrible vibe in this hotel. We are not difficult people to deal with and hate being waited on but we are always polite to our hosts no matter where in the world we are.

It is such a shame as this hotel could be absolutely brilliant. SO if staying here brace yourself for a very black and white stay. Amalfi is beautiful and the fontana is in the perfect spot -it just can be frustrating when you realise the potential of the hotel isnt being reached.

Plus dare I say this......if you are going to charge 5 Euro a day for internet - make sure it is actually of reasonable standard and your guests don't have to wait an hour for emails to be sent.

Would I stay again - yes absolutely but set your expectations appropriately.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple