All reviews century church old church three levels deluxe room beautiful hotel boutique hotel sleeping area heavy bags stunning room worth the effort magical city split level cobbled streets rock church parking garage small window loved matera
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Incredible location with the hotel incorporated into the caves of the countryside. Quite an experience with the main lobby an old church built into the ancient rockface.

Some of the rooms a little on the tight side. Very helpful staff. Pack light if you are carrying your bags from the car!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2016

How magical is this hotel? And how elegant is Matera?

My phone had no network when I reached Matera Centrale. I was really concerned that I wouldn't be able to find the hotel. Somehow my instinct worked its magic, and in less than 10 minutes I found myself in front of the hotel.

From the moment I walked in, I felt relieved and relaxed. What a good looking hotel, in a good looking city. The staff were wonderful. They made me feel comfortable, they recommended good places to see/ eat. My room was calming, a wonderful escape from the heatwave. I loved the breakfast, an eclectic and unusual mix of sweet and savoury - all looked homemade.

The staff were helpful in arranging for a cab to take me to the bus stop in the morning, I was leaving for Napoli.

Very happy with this hotel and my stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank dnilbroloc
Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Real experience which will stay with us for a long time. Staying in a cave dug out of the cliff which was used as a church, is always going to be a compromise. If you like square spaces and smooth floors - then this is not the hotel for you in a town you will hate. It's all up and down tight steps both inside and outside. For the rest of us, an experience to cherish.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank KCandJC
Reviewed 12 July 2016

This beautifully restored small boutique hotel, a former church dug in the stone, provided a tranquil& beautiful experience.We had a very small bilevel room requiring a climb up to the bedroom loft..a bit challenging for a mature couple but still a thoroughly enjoyable experiece to be sleeping in cave-like quarters. The renovation shows respect for its historical origins.Breakfast was handsome & quite adequate even for Americans. A suggestion would be a chair or bench to relax in downstairs as the stool was used to hold towels in the cute bathroom...also a couple of wall hooks for personal items. Preservation of the crude stone walls in the room a definite positive choice. Overall a very enjoyable experience..well worth the climb of seemingly almost 100 uneven stone steps w no car access. Sturdy shoes an absolute must!!! Recommend leaving your big or heavy baggage, wheelies, elsewhere.

Date of stay: April 2016
Reviewed 10 July 2016

Beautiful boutique hotel in the sassi We booked the only room with a private terrace.Suite 1003 is the way to go.Beautifull bed stairs to 2nd level with couch and tv.You duck and crawl out onto terrace above the 2nd level.Spectacular view of "Sassi"Have wine on deck and watch the sunset over the Sassi the changes of colors are a sight to behold.Hawks that migrate from Africa fly around and are a bird watchers delight. Great restaurants close by good breakfast served and front staff helpful.We went for the" festadellabruna" it was spectacular with the lights ,Knights and the destruction of the carriage at the end plus the fireworks at midnight.Great air conditioning is a must in Matera and good "sneakers for walking are a must also or your feet will be aching.Come for the festival. Book suite "1003"

Room tip: Book suite 1003 stay away from the tiny room with staircase to bed
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple