1,811 results
All reviews underground pool thermal spa piano player roman bath steam room winding streets parking service sassi area cave hotel few steps historic town unique hotel unique experience google maps the main square an amazing place pastries
Reviewed 29 November 2016

Locanda di San Martino is located in the middle of the historical district. Each cave dwelling has been modernized and updated with modern amenities but still maintains the cave feel. Each room is different and varying in size depending on how far back the original cave dwelling sat back in to the rock.
My bathroom had a shower (no tub), hair dryer, towel warmer, bidet, shampoo, lotion and soap.
The room had a tiny window which opened. The entry door was like a barn door where the top had a section that could open and let the fresh air in.
Since I traveled in October, the heat was turned on for all rooms - air conditioning will not work at this time.
The lighting in the room is not good. Although I was not in the room much, when I was I kept the door open to let the sun shine in. At night, I would go in the bathroom near the sink to read.
The room also has a mini refrigerator, tv and free wifi. No full length mirror.
The hotel has a bar and a pool/spa area. It does not have a kitchen so food for breakfast is brought in. It has a fairly large selection consisting mostly of pasties and bread products. There were 2 hot items set out for breakfast: sausage and hard boiled eggs.
The walkways throughout Matera and at the hotel get very slippery when it rains.
In order to use the pool, you must purchase the spa package which cost 20 euro for 2 hours. In talking to the desk clerk and the manager, you cannot just use the pool - you must do the spa package.
The location of the hotel is awesome. There are sitting areas close to each room so you can go out and sit and take in the scenery.
The floors in the room needed to be cleaned. My room had a brick floor and was obviously in need of a good sweeping and cleaning. To make matters worse, it appears that while making my bed the cleaning lady set my pillows on the floor while putting the bed back together. This resulted in a grittiness on my pillow Luckily I noticed it before I used the pillow. Housekeeping needs to be better trained.
An easier way to go back to the main street level is to take the elevator to the second floor and then follow the path to the top. It is so much faster and easier to get back to the main street level.
Overall it is a nice place to stay. The location was great and the scenery was excellent.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank LocalVisitor2013
Reviewed 22 November 2016

The Hotel has a distinguished feature to have impressive Spa within real tunnels of tufa rocks... it is really impressive!!!!
Also the breakfast service with Piano being Played was really classy!!!

At the same time I picked up a room in the underground which really provided the feeling to stay in a cellar rather than in a hotel.... claustrophobic!
Also on a managerial perspective i had the view that the staff was not entirely sufficient to accomodate the needs of an almost fully booked hotel.

Overall I would recommend by far to stay at higher room with a good view of the Matera Valley - I Sassi di Matera, really breathtaking.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

Wonderful family room. Impeccable and spacious. Kids loved to run in the stairs around the hotel and they loved the jet tub. Then, we enjoyed nice wine on our deck overlooking amazing Matera. The roman bath were very nice, although a bit crowded, make sure to reserve your spot if you want to soak in these special caves. Breakfast was a feast.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2016

The spa looks just like the picture! Beautiful warm water and in a cave! What more can you want?
We had a lovely room, also into a cave, and fantastic breakfast.
Staff couldn't do more, even opening the spa early as we had to leave the hotel after breakfast.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2016

We stayed here with a group tour and absolutely loved it. Our room was the Cisterna, I believe #4, and it was wonderful. Very large room up a few steps from the entrance and next door to the breakfast room yet quiet. Our room had an old cisterna in the floor covered with glass or plexiglass. There was lighting in the cisterna that we could turn on which created a nice glow in our room. We did not take advantage of the Thermae but several people in our group thoroughly enjoyed this experience. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were typical Italian breakfasts and were quite good. The sleeping in a cave type room in Matera, the 3rd oldest city in the world was wonderful.

Date of stay: September 2016