“When you can still taste a plate in your mouth after two years, you know that was a perfect plate”

La cocina del desierto
Ranked #840 of 12,475 Restaurants in Madrid
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chueca
Reviewed 3 May 2018

I ate in this reastaurant two years ago, and I came back to Madrid last week knowing I would have eaten there at least twice. The location is quite shabby, with spots on the walls and not-so-clean tables. However, the furniture really sets the mood, and the food is SPECTACULAR. I had the same as my first time here: pastela to share and couscous with chicken and raisins. I also tried a few more plates and I recommend this place to anyone with a love for spices and sweet-and-sour food. The prices are good enough, and hands down worth the sensorial experience. Amazing!

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

I went here years ago a few times when I lived in Madrid and then sort of forgot about it. Whilst wandering around on a recent trip, I passed it and thought I’d revisit so made a booking for myself and three companions; what a good move!
The food was delicious, surroundings very authentically Morroccan and very cosy. It’s not a large restaurant so best to prebook even midweek.
The only reason for not awarding 5 stars is that the place was full and there were only two staff on do there was a wait to be served in the first instance. Everything else was great.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Found this Moroccan and fancied the food, turned up but was told fully booked even though we were there at opening time, customer who had booked pointed to a sign by the door showing another one of its restaurants on a neighbouring street. Why didn't the waiter tell us about this? Anyway off we went found it and got a table but we had to sit on the floor. Didn't mind this as traditional.. service was good and food was fantastic. We had the chicken and almond pie and tajin with chicken figs and honey. Followed by some baklava and mint tea. All of it was fantastic. We had a lovely meal and can't wait to go back next time we are in Madrid...

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Great service and great food . The waiter an amazing Morrocan Girl ( didn't get her name ) , very polite and very very professional, have suggested a great food and took care of us at the best level .
The restaurant is a bit dark but is very morrocan style.
I do recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner :)
Shiokran Jamila

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Ambience is typical of a Moroccan restaurant. Nonetheless, it feels very cramped and definitely stuffy due to the dim lights and that faint damp smell.

We ordered a chicken tajine, khous khous, a salad and falafel with hummus. Food is honestly good and ample in portions. Staff is kind and courteous too.

One time visit for your Moroccan craving.