“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Description: Botin is the oldest restaurant in the world according to the Guinness Book of Records. Located in the heart of Madrid, at the foot of the Arco de Cuchilleros and next to the Plaza Mayor, it was founded in 1725 and was a meeting place for Madrid's bohemian and literary set. Botin offers Madrid-style hospitality in a convivial and friendly setting, with traditional decor. The restaurant prides itself on using the finest ingredients accredited by the respective quality marks in order to offer guests traditional recipes that have been passed down from father to son over the years, cooked in a natural and artisan way. Its specialties include roast suckling pig and lamb cooked in traditional Castilian style in a wood-fired oven that has been in use since 1725. Botin treats all its diners the same - whether politician, famous artist or its neighbourhood regulars.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

We visited the restaurant with the intention of celebrating my mom’s 60th, husband’s 30th, and baby’s 1st birthday which I have communicated when making the reservation. When we were waiting for our tables, I saw our reservation on the list, and there was a birthday cake next to my name. So, I thought the restaurant has taken note of it. However, nothing was done by the restaurant for our celebration.

Besides, we were given a tight small table for 4 pax (there were 2 pax sitting on bigger tables) and no baby chair was given.

Maybe just our luck, the food was so so, not picture worthy. Salad was very poor (had better salad on the train with Renfe) and the suckling pig was drenched with oil.

Another disappointing this is that our waiter was very non-chalant and couldn’t wait for us to leave.

We wasted one meal in Madrid to our disappointment.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,211)

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We had Sunday lunch here and it was a delight. Great buzz in the room with many Spanish Families enjoying the day. Good wines, and the Roast Lamb my wife had was perfect as was the suckling pig I enjoyed. My black pudding starter was excellent. Good friendly service, and it is clear that the art of the restaurateur has been handed down over the centuries and is in good hands. This restaurant offers much to enjoy

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Part restaurant and part historic monument it was worth the effort. We ate at 11:00 in one of the charming upstairs dining rooms which we prefer to the cellar. Waiters are pros and the roast duckling pig and lamb are the stars of the dinner menu. Their vegetable sides can be quite good as well including the artichokes with ham. Linger over your food and wine and be sure to peek into the ground floor 18th century kitchen as you leave. With a good wine you will pay about 50 Euros per person for very generous portions. Enjoy!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went there to experience the olderst restaurant in the world. I had made a reservation but we were about an hour late due to our tour. There were willing to still accommodate us for lunch and we only waited a couple minutes for a table. The waiters are professional and no nonsense. I ordered the suckling pig and was not disappointed. My wife ordered the callimari and she loved it. Yes it’s touristy but worth the visit. Be sure to ask what you want such as olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the bread which is amazing. Worth the price and the visit.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Must visit! Loved this place. The huevos rotos with chorizo were amazing here. Had the bacalao (cod fish) it was delicious.
Just the history of it is worth going.