“Very Interesting Exploration of Modern Art in Barcelona”

Fundacio Antoni Tapies
Book In Advance
More Info
US$53.00*
and up
Barcelona Card with Guidebook
Ranked #361 of 727 things to do in Barcelona
Reviewed 3 May 2018

The way his life was reflected in his art was interesting. Most of his art is a tribute to his wife and there are several videos about this. There is a long video (almost an hour) that’s alternates Spanish and English). He had a hard life. As a child his mother took him out of the city because of the spread of TB so he rarely saw his father. After Franco came to power, his family was crushed. His father, who was an attorney, quit practicing law because he refused to work with the Franco Government. His wife was his lifeline and he credits her for the works you see in the museum. He barely outlive day Franco. A special exhibit is by two artists from Puerto Rico and covers many years including the hurricane destruction in 2016. Finally, as you tour the museum you hear very discordinant music, which Tàpies believed was just as important as visual arts. The Museum also houses an incredible library of art books. You have to make a reservation so I did not get to browse it, but it looked amazing. Go an take your time to view and is art. The gift shop has some unique items including soap wrapped in wool which works as a sponge with art on the outside. Nice for gifts.

All reviews
"catalan"
in 5 reviews
"tribute"

Reviewed 22 February 2018

We visited this place as it was covered by the Articket and would definitely not have visited this museum if we had to buy a separate ticket. The art in this museum was definitely not to my taste and I would not visit it again.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

I have been always meaning to go, so I finally did. How disappointed I was. The curated exhibition of Antoni Tapies works was awful. Perhaps too conceptual for me; I couldn't help but to feel it was a rip-off to pay 7 euros to see a pile of plates and a chair with dirty clothes on top. There were however two exhibitions by a local photographer which were pretty good, and that's why I am giving my visit 3 stars. Antoni Tapies' work varied much throughout his life, and I would have loved to be able to appreciate a more comprehensive selection of his work. Instead I got stuck with a pile of empty white plates. I understand art is subjective, but if I had known beforehand that the curated exhibit consisted of ONLY the most conceptual "pieces of art", and excluded other periods of his work, I wouldn't have bothered.

1  Thank betynezz
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

An amazing museum for contemporary art. Not only the permanent exhibition but also the temporary ones. Don't miss out on the roof exposition and of course the gift shop. Amazing library. Absolutely recommendable!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 November 2017

Without knowing what to expect, I was captivated by the work on display. Unfamiliar with Tapies, I found his work (described here as “objects”) powerful, cerebral, aggressively and confidently executed. I would have liked to see much more of his work. Desperate for more, I bought a big heavy book filled with images. There was also featured a very moving display of the photography work of Susan Meiselas. The combination of the two exhibits was thoroughly satisfying. Plus the Tapies sculpture on the roof is exhilarating.