All reviews hotel school great hotel english language channels santa cruz hotel is located junior suite city centre minibar tenerife tonic tub
Reviewed 7 November 2018

The hotel was very clean, the room was very spacious. The staff was nice and helpful. We stayed there only one night as we were moving to a different location, outside the city. The hotel is located in the central part of the city, and you can walk pretty much anywhere from there. There is also a nice cafe at the corner near the hotel.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
UBALDOR43, Revenue at Hotel Escuela Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Ola0205:

Our desire at HOTEL ESCUELA SANTA CRUZ is to offer a good service and a quality product to ensure that our clients enjoy a magnificent experience with us.
That is why we have loved reading that we have managed to have a very pleasant time.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I’m writing this review from the perspective of an American traveling in Tenerife; since I am one that’s all I have! I realize that people from European countries will have a different point of view and are used to things I am not. I was staying at the Hotel Uscuela while my husband was at a conference; it was my second time in Tenerife but my first at this hotel. Overall impressions of the hotel are that it was very clean. Our room was spacious and the bathroom was nice. The beds were very comfortable. Lighting was lacking, especially in the bathroom, but that could be my middle-aged eyes too. I have seen other reviewers mention that the front desk staff is grumpy and I have to agree. Housekeeping staff was quite friendly however. My only complaint about staff was the young man at the pool my first day; his job appears to be sitting in the pool area watching loud YouTube videos all day. I was trying to enjoy some quiet and read out there, and he actually seated himself feet away from me at one point (despite there being many other empty chairs and no one else out there), and played around on his phone so loudly it was very distracting. How rude! Then at 5:30 PM he got up, collected the towels, and left. That’s all he does all day. Knowing this is a hotel school, I have to wonder what he’s learning here. Anyway, a few odd things about our room - again from an American perspective - there were only two outlets and one was located near the floor right outside the bathroom, making it pretty much unusable. The information binder listed all the things that should be in the minibar, but our minibar was empty the whole time. The TV listings in the binder are all wrong, but there’s only two English-language channels anyway and they both stink. (CNBC and Bloomberg.) And forget about the English-language pages about room service! The translation is so bad it’s hard to imagine what the food is supposed to be. Oh, and there was no clock in the room. Breakfast was OK; I’ve been to Europe enough to not expect a big breakfast but they do offer eggs cooked to order. The location of the hotel was fine; I worried that stadium would be an issue but I guess we were there during a week of no games. The hill the hotel is on isn’t that steep, which is good since you have to walk back up it if you’ve gone to the main shopping and eating sections of the city. So, if you’re expecting a resort hotel, don’t. It’s not. But it’s fine for business travel and was adequate for the spouse of someone traveling for business.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
UBALDO R, Revenue M. at Hotel Escuela Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Dear vjk42307:
We appreciate the time spent assessing your stay at our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered, since our desire is that our guests will always be as comfortable as possible during their stay.
We take note of your comments as this will help us improve.

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Over the course of my brief 1 night stay I only saw 3 staff in the entire building. One chap on reception.... looked tired. One lady on room duty, looked really tired. One lady at breakfast the next morning (could have been the room maid in a different outfit), she looked positively knackered!

Chap on reception was helpful, booked a restaurant for me and reported back that booking was confirmed.

Unfortunately as tired as the staff looked they weren't as bad as the actual building. Old socks in the lift with rubbish, still there in the morning from the night before. I agree business hotel would be a good description but wifi was slow/non existent. Furniture in the rooms is old and battered, whole place could do with updating.

Breakfast was nice, good coffee and selection of sweet and savoury.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2018

Hotel Escuela is very comfortable, clean and everything was beyond my expectations. The room was big and airy, clean, and nicely decorated. The staff was professional and helpful, the breakfast was also pretty good.

The only major downside here is the location. The hotel was relatively far from city centre where the major attractions are. Public transit (mostly tram) was a little far by walking distance. It's located up on a hill, and climbing it every time was really frustrating. It was also a little disappointing they have a policy against food deliveries from the outside - Which I needed at nights.

Room tip: Just remember your floor! Room 205 isn't on the second floor as expected!
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2017

The hotel is a spectacular example of modernist architecture of the 60s. The people working here are sincerely helpful and fun to talk to but... As soon as we walked out of its doors we encountered abuses which have been so serious that we are determined never to revisit these islands. At the beach men with fake IDs trying to gouge us for a €2 parking charge with racist and insulting language. In town an apparently "hipster" bar charging €16 for two very mediocre gin and tonics; a few yards down the road, a mediocre tapas bar charging €44 for a very mediocre lunch made up of two plates, "raciones" and a few glasses of wine - London prices for sub-motorway service station food. A message to the people of Tenerife:
"cuando no vuelven las turistas no seas soprendido. En hoy dia no es posible robar la gente sin que dan cuenta y pasan el mensaje a sus colegas!

Date of stay: December 2017