Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from US$33.93
from US$48.47
from US$30.30
28,154 results
All reviews audio guide awe inspiring christian architecture amazing building original mosque bell tower an amazing place night tour mezquita cathedral early in the morning southern spain free entry orange trees arches history middle beauty
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 December 2020

Our first time in Spain and this was a real highlight. Built as a mosque in 784 AD, it was converted into a cathedral when Christian forces under King Ferdinand III wrestled back control of Cordoba from Islamic rule in 1236. Instead of doing the normal plunder and destroy thing that conquerors usually did, the victorious Christians did something very different and unusual. Rather than demolish the existing mosque, they built a whole new cathedral inside it. It was difficult to know what to expect. I couldn't really imagine what it would look like. In the end, it was unlike anything I’d seen before.
The scale alone is incredible. It stretches over 24,000 square metres. The hypostyle hall has a forest of 856 columns made of marble, granite and jasper and a sea of striped double arches. Just amazing.

TIPS:
i) Beware the booking system. Book ahead if you can but we had terrible trouble with the . online booking system which wouldn’t accept our credit card. We had no choice but to wait until we got there and line up and get a ticket on the spot. Unexpectedly, the line was very quick and efficient and we only waited about 15 – 20 min.
ii) Entry is €11 (+€2 for tower). If you’re on a budget, early-birds can get free entry between 8:30 – 9:30 Mon-Sat. It’s also free to wander through the inner orange-tree courtyard at any time.
iii) As you enter, pick up a floor plan and brochure by the door. Inside, the layout is confusing and it’s unclear where to start. If you don't have a guide or a tour, you’ll need the brochure.
iv) Don't miss the horseshoe arched mihrab (prayer niche), choir stalls, bell-tower and the treasury right at the back
v) In hindsight, I wish we had got a guided tour or audio-guide. I usually prefer to go at our own pace and read up but there’s not very much information inside and combined with the vast, confusing space, this is one time when a guide would have been really helpful
vi) we initially missed out on the bell-tower/minaret. They only allow 20 people through at a time in timed slots of 20 min each so it sells out quickly. Back in our hotel room later that day, I was able to book on-line for the following morning and there were still a few slots left (the credit card worked this time). The views from the bell tower were outstanding.
vii) From the train station, it’s about €8 in a taxi

Date of experience: February 2020
7  Thank Mairwen1
Reviewed 5 November 2020

I really liked this place, a must-visit in Cordoba. In the mornings you can enter free of charge, so it's good for early birds ;) I give a poor rating because my friend and I visited this week and we saw 3 security guards of the Mezquita attacking a girl, I don't think that's normal. Not sure what happened, I just saw this visitor walking in and out so didn't look like antything illegal, but for 3 people on duty holding onto 1 single girl and physically attacking her, in the rest of the world that's unacceptable (and I'm from Portugal so not so far away). Very unproffesional, made us feel unsafe.

Date of experience: November 2020
2  Thank Robin-Lisboa
Reviewed 4 November 2020

Even in an area of superlatives, this place is outstanding. Even better with an early entry ticket and the Covid bonus of few people.
Whatever you do, make sure you have time to spend here.

Date of experience: October 2020
2  Thank ACM42
Reviewed 7 October 2020 via mobile

This is my third time visiting the Mosque .This time I did not take a guide as I wanted to soak up the atmosphere.You need at least an hour inside and 20-30 mins outside the mosque .Lots of little details to see ( the Mihrab is a must)
The old marvel roman pillars
The ceilings .Magic oozes from every corner .There are lots of seats to rest around .its very cool outside as it was extremely hot outside .I bought my tickets earlier but there was no lines due to COVID
This place is a must in Andalusia

Date of experience: September 2020
2  Thank Ghaida93
Reviewed 7 October 2020 via mobile

The night tour was the best I could ever imagine. The tour combines light work, music and very interesting explanation of the history of this incredible place!
Pictures and videos are not allowed tho.

Date of experience: October 2020