“Such a great value trip!”

Beck's Brewery Tour
Ranked #24 of 135 things to do in Bremen
Reviewed 1 March 2017

You have to visit if you are in Bremen! We missed the English tour but the German tour guide kept talking to us in English throughout the tour (which she didnt have to), so we were grateful for that. It was about 15 euro which was great value seeing as at the end you got drunk on a good selection of fine German beer!

1  Thank Ian R
in 3 reviews
"explanation"
"parts"

Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

I went for a tour with my girlfriend and a friend and did know what to expect as I have been to similar brewery tours in different countries and I always enjoyed it. As we arrived to the visitors centre we started with a short walk to the brewery's museum and it was quite interesting to see the machinery behind the brewing process used many years ago. However when we proceeded to the small room where you should see the industrial part of brewing on the movie - this did not work and because of some technical problems we could not watch it. We proceeded to brewing hall where you could see massive copper tanks - same in every brewery I went to. After this there is bar and beer tasting and... that's it. None of actual machinery at work etc. So it is quite like museum of brewing tour and not brewery tour because we could see nothing actually happening inside. We had a really nice tour guide Katharine who was speaking English even though she was German and did really well. Overall you basically pay for the beer at the end and the tour is just in addition to it.

4  Thank GrandTour470236
Reviewed 7 January 2017

A lack of ideas for Xmas presents led me to book this tour.

Despite being from Bremen originally and consuming Becks on principle wherever I go, it had never occurred to me before to visit one of the biggest breweries in the world which happens to be located in my hometown.

We went for the German language option tour and the whole experience was presented very professionally. It kicked off with a little movie in the visitor's centre, dripping with advertising. But the group took it in its stride, sniggering at the most blatant statements with our guide Pia happily joining in. She then proceeded to take us to the museum, where hands-on demonstrations and ingredients were available for inspection. The tour then took us to the smaller but very historic Sudhaus followed by a trip across the site, finishing off at the brewery pub where an impressive beer tasting ensued.

Surprise of the day: Haake Beck beer (as compared to Beck's) is amazing! I always had it down as a bit of a "builder's" beer, a bit like Berlin's Schultheiss... What a shame that it's only available in a 120km radius around Bremen.

The return trip into town took us past Beck's square-rigged flagship - the Alexander von Humboldt - which is now moored on the northern banks of the river Weser in its new incarnation as restaurant and hotel. The menu looks great, proper northern "Hausmannkost"-fare, but pre-booking seems essential due to limited space.

We finished our day with the other Xmas present: a little kit-barrel of home-brewed beer! Not too shabby either...

1  Thank Hadrian2010
Reviewed 15 November 2016

The tour guide was great and they let us try about 5-6 different kind of Beck brew, but the tour itself did not go into much detail about the brewery facility. The history of Becks and beer was exemplified quite well. However, you watch a video (from the 90s) the brewing process at Becks, which is something anyone can google or youtube at home. I would still recommend the tour.

1  Thank GuterMann