See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 March 2018

After 9 pm when I checked in, but my reservation was accepted for this, staff was leaving and the owner was out of town. I had issues with my room key and no one was there to help me figure out my locks until the staff member that checked me in, a very nice and helpful fellow named Alex, happened to come back to the establishment to check in some other late-night arrivals.

My room on the upper-most level was sweltering hot, and no one was on site nor answering the phones so that I could inquire about a circulating fan or a change of rooms. There'd been a bit of a heat wave of late and the 3rd (or 4th ?) floor of a 600 or 800 year old house (I can't recall which) was a bit of an oven. It was probably a section used for storing grain, once upon a time, rather than housing residents.

The establishment wifi, which was very important to me in selecting a place to stay, did not work at all, not on a single one of my devices. I had to connect to the free wifi out in the town, which was spotty at best. I could connect to the router, but my diagnostics showed there was no internet running from the router. Someone needed to be there to reset it, most likely. An easy fix...if there'd been a single employ there.

I wanted to check out after the first night, but there was still no staff there the next day nor the next afternoon, so I was stuck with my room key and room and not knowing what to do with any of it, so I stayed rather than just leave without checking out and not being able to secure and old-fashioned key for safekeeping until staff returned, whenever.

Even when I checked out after 2 nights, there was still no staff on site the morning i checked out. I just left my key where another guest left their key and exited the building, hoping for the best and calling the booking website with whom I booked to let them know the details of my stay and departure (e.g. placement of the key), and that I took a picture of where I left the key, along with a note indicating my room number and name.

The hotel itself was quiet. But the street did get noisy early in the morning with tourists and it was necessary to have windows open due to the heat.

Room Tip: If it's summertime, consider getting a room on a lower level.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I loved staying here and it would be my go to place in the future!! The price was fantastic and it is so close to the main square!! We were a little challenged to find it on our arrival but our map wasn't the best - and don't be confused when you walk into what appears to be a bar because that is the hotel reception. We loved our room with old German furniture but a modern bathroom - and free wifi! It did not come with breakfast but that meant we could just go to a bakery and pickup what we wanted on our way out of the city. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2017

It's hard to beat the location of this hotel and it's even pretty easy to drive your car to it to deal with your luggage. The hotel was fine for our purposes. But to me it kind of had a "renting a room over your neighborhood bar" kind of feel. If you came in the front you walked past the bar and down a hall to the back. The common areas were a little worn but clean, as was the room. The room was large with plenty of room for the 3 of us and the bathroom was nice and clean. Our room looked out on the back alley which got a little noisy early when the deliveries started at dawn.
The bartender was the only person we had any contact with and she was nice. There was a lot to see and do in Rothenburg and so we just used this hotel as a place to sleep and it was fine for that. But this was the only hotel we stayed at in 2 weeks that didn't provide a free breakfast and there are other charming looking hotels just as convenient to the center of town to be honest.

Room Tip: Peeked in the door of a front corner room and it looked very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

I love staying at this gasthouse. .convenient and close to center.The staff is awesome and there is a small bar and restaurant that serves comfort food.It is an old building so be aware there are no elevators

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2017

The hotel is charming and the location is excellent. With the prices they have, I didn't expect much so we were extremely positively surprised. The room we stayed in was cute and cozy and everything worked well. The service was very helpful and polite. They helped us with everything we asked and offered always to help even more. If i come to Rothenburg again, I will stay here.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple