“It was one of those horrific "Must see"”
Review of Asam Church

Asam Church
Ranked #4 of 345 things to do in Munich
Reviewed 25 April 2018

It is in all the guide books, it is listed as a "must" and its presentation as a showroom for the 2 famous bothers is somehow appealing. While being an interesting architectural showroom due to the different materials, forms and technical solutions provided, it was hard for any of us to look at that over-decorated marshmallow cake as a church. I am not sorry we visited it but would not recommend it.

1  Thank Romanita I
Write a ReviewReviews (2,482)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"masterpiece"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 23 April 2018

We went out of our way to come here and in hindsight, would have definitely preferred to give it a miss.

It was tiny and decorated in a dark overly garish, outlandish style with gargoyles, sinister art, etc. It felt very uncomfortable to be in that space. I cannot imagine worshipping here as it is the farthest thing from God.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

I've seen my fair share of churches and temples in Europe and other locations, but this one takes the cake! It is free to enter, and only takes about 5-10 minutes to visit as it is very small, but the inside is breathtaking. You will not be disappointed in your visit to this church.

Even the kids thought it was something worth seeing, and were even happier because the street it is on is closed to traffic and has a lot of shops and shopping, so everyone was happy!

Don't miss seeing this church - it shows the amazing things humans can do when they put their minds to it.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

This is the most elaborately decorated church I've ever seen. It's so unique that I am glad we saw it. We did not spend very much time here, but seeing it in person is very different than seeing photos. It took us awhile to find it, though, as it is right in the middle of a shopping street. Also, GPS wanted to bring me behind the church, and most of the front was covered so it didn't stand out to me. Lastly, it has two names - it is not marked Asam - it is actually called St. Johann Nepomuk which confused me.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 April 2018

This church is near the center of old town, but is not prominate. It takes a slight effort to find in a lovely shopping area. However, it is worth the small effort. It's the most decorated, ornate church we have seen. It is small, & won't take long. It is detailed, & looking up and around could lengthen your stay. Spend a minimum of 10 minutes there. You might decide to stay much longer. It's free!