1,060 results
All reviews race course room service pool and hot tub steam room lovely hotel business hotel vieux port residential area long weekend rooms are big le panier bars and restaurants racecourse cassis
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

Overview

This Hotel gets 5 stars from me as it was excellent, I really enjoyed my stay so much so I returned for a further 6 nights. I would highly recommend staying here.

Getting to the hotel

I travelled from the railway station and on my first trip the hotel kindly booked me a private hire car €25, on my return to the railway station I used a normal taxi which the hotel booked again for me which cost €27 and on my return back to the hotel for my second stay I used Uber which was excellent and cost me €18. You can use the metro to the football stadium but there is a 30 minute walk almost to the hotel.

Lobby and Hotel Entrance

Very nice and presented well, reception was staff around the clock and security was always visible which is nice a reassuring. All staff speak very good English and many other languages too.

Nearby the Hotel

There is a Lidl 5 minutes’ walk from the hotel (Turn left out of the front door and left up the street towards the Golf place, it is closed Sundays but the food is very cheap and great to take back and eat on your balcony). There is a fresh fruit and Bakery right across road from the hotel also which is open every day, the hotel also looks onto a park (Parc Borely) which is open every day and can be found by turning right out of the hotel and the entrance is on the right just after the building.
The sea is a 5 minute walk from the hotel too with many bars and restaurants, plenty of beach to sit on and sunbathe with showers all around too.

Pool area

Open 9am to 9pm, All day sunshine and many loungers to use around the pool and grassed area, Jacuzzi, Saunas, Gym and steam room are at the entrance to the spa area. There is a pool bar where you get drinks and food which is pretty reasonably priced. The pool was heated on some days but was always cleaned daily when I was there. The Chicken Club sandwich was my favourite choice but the Pizza was also very tasty.
You can access the spa area directly from a special lift which is situated around the corner from the main lifts (as you leave the main lift turn right) its just down the corridor
Towels are available at the bar which can be swapped over for fresh ones. As you should be relaxing wifi shouldn’t bother you too much but it doesn’t reach to the pool area

Bar area

I used this a couple of times during my stay which is situated next to the pool area and as the pool shuts at 9pm its nicely lit up and you can have drinks and food, the bar staff are great and very friendly and food is excellent

Restaurant

There is an indoor and outdoor area, as the weather is always amazing in Marseille I used the outdoor area with a great view of the Mediterranean and it gets the most perfect of sunsets as you eat your food. Prices are pretty much the same as the UK if not cheaper for the quality delivered by the staff, the steak I ordered was melt in your mouth and worth every penny

Room

During my 2 stays at the hotel I first had a Panoramic Sea View on the 3rd floor which has great views and a large balcony. The Room was clean and modern with a Nespresso machine for all you coffee lovers. I had 5 great nights in there.
When I returned for my second stay I had 1 night in a Superior Room which looked on to the Calanques National Park but no sea view, I then moved to a Panoramic Sea View room again but this time on the 2nd floor which again had great views of the Mediterranean.

The other rooms available are the suits and partial sea view rooms (which have great views too)

My room was checked and cleaned daily and topped up with supplies, if you are in your room in the afternoon room service knock and offer more water and coffee but only if you are in I noticed.

The Wifi seems much stronger signal in the sea view rooms compared to the street view (might just be me). There is a nice large TV in each room but only a couple of UK choices.

Each night you can watch the sun set from your room which priceless

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank MS82S
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Dear Marc,

It is with great happiness and a big smile that we have read your comment.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write it and for your recommendation.
We are glad to see you enjoyed our staff and services.

We have well taken into account your observations regarding the wifi. We have share it with our technical service.

We will be delighted to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

I stayed here in July whilst visiting my son as I wanted to be close to where he lives rather than in the centre & the added bonus of a pool. The room was a generous size but lots of wasted space with only a wardrobe taking up a large chunk of it. The bathroom was pretty small which seems odd bearing in mind they could have expanded it into the dressing area. It was also getting old & tired the whole room. The balcony had paint peeling off. The chair was well worn, as was the carpet. The second might my bed was not made properly. The bottom sheet exactly how I had got out of it. Pool area is quite cramped and there is a lot of chlorine.

Breakfast was included but my son ate with me one morning and 27€ for breakfast is outrageous - even by Marseille standards. For 27€ I don't expect to be served frozen croissants/pain au chocolate/pain au raisins. I work in hospitality in france and I recognise a frozen croissant when I see one. The yoghurt & fruit were not refrigerated which also breaks hygiene regs. The hot water for tea - was, funnily enough, not hot!! Just tepid I would say... On the third day I asked that they change it. All in all for the price pretty disappointing. Shame as the entrance gives a different feel but sadly not followed up. Stop all the faff of staff in uniform blah blah blah & give more of a personal service and decorate it.... Not 4 stars

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

Good morning SCrealreviews,

This is with regrets that we have read your comment. We are very sorry to see that your experience was not as you were expected.

We have well taken into account your observations they help us to improve our services.

Concerning your room and our outdoor pool, we have shared your comment to our technical service.

Regarding our breakfast, we would like to inform you that we are particularly taking care of hygiene rules. After your comment, we have sensibilized our staff again.

Be assured our guest’s satisfaction is our priority.

Sandrine Torres - Directrice

Reviewed 20 August 2016

Nice location, unfortunately poor service, had to ask for additional shower gel 2 out of 3 days as only one small tube was given for 2 guests per day. Unfriendly and untrained staff.
swimming pool dirty, grating around the swimming pool dirty and missing at places.
Bar tables left uncleaned. Parking spaces very small. Needs a lot of improvements to reach the advertised standard.

Review collected in partnership with Golden Tulip Hotels
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2016

Good morning,

This is with regret that we have read your comment. We are sorry to see your stay was not as you were expected.

We have well taken into account your observations, they help us to improve ourselves.

Regarding the shower gel, do not hesitate to contact our reception for any request.

Our restaurant and swimming pool are cleaned every day, at different times by our teams. Be assured the satisfaction of our guests is our priority.

Reviewed 16 August 2016

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in . The staff were massively helpful and not just reception staff. The room was spotlessly clean and food within the hotel was superb. The pool although smaller than a normal 'holiday resort' pool had plenty of sun loungers and it was obvious that this was a hotel that many French people come to for holidays which is always a good gauge if the locals are using it. Room was on the 3rd floor and I would recommend paying a bit extra for sea view or partial sea view. My only criticism is that if you're looking for a snack at lunchtime then it can be quite expensive and even though the food was excellent, it was a bit too rich and pricey for me during the day. We found a baguette shop across the road which was much cheaper and we used for lunch and ate in the hotel at night

Room tip: Book a room with sea view or partial sea view
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

Good morning,

We would like to thank you very much for your kind comment. We are delighted to read you enjoyed staying with us.

We are pleased to see you liked our staff, room and restaurant. It was a pleasure to share your comment with our teams.

We have well taken into account your observations regarding snacking, they help us to improve our services.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2016

Overall our stay was satisfy. The stuff members are very friendly and the location is very close to the sea as well also to the city center.

The hotel itself was okay for 4 star. I expect a bit more spar area from this hotel. Also some location like pool area or others should be renovated.

Date of stay: July 2016
Review collected in partnership with Golden Tulip Hotels
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2016

Dear lukasoetzi,

We would like to thank you very much for your comment.
We are glad to read you enjoyed our staff and stay with us.

However we are surprised regarding the swimming pool area. Before the season we have renovated our pool area. We are going to investigate and transfer your comment to our technical service.

Be assured your satisfaction is our priority.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again for your next stay in Marseille.

Sandrine Torres - General Manager