“Elegant dining amidst an amazing view”
Review of Alcyone

Alcyone
Reserve with
Alcyone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 2,504 Restaurants in Marseille
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Le restaurant gastronomique Alcyone propose une vue imprenable sur le Vieux-Port et une cuisine d'exception. Lionel Levy y presente ses creations gourmandes.
Reviewed 13 September 2018

The view from this restaurant really is something - ask for the tables by the windows. Service was consistent and friendly. Took the tasting menu with wine pairing. I thought it was great. In particular I liked the chef's interpretation of the bouillabaisse and the lamb - really excellent dishes. The food overall was also superb. The only oddity was that butter or oil wasn't offered with the bread at the outset, and I thought the fish that was used for the main fish course in the tasting menu too strong...

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

The food was very good and some plates were excellent and so was the wine pairing. However, although i mentioned several times that I was highly allergic to egg, my first plate contained a quail’s egg which thankfully i saw and sent the plate back. I thought that it was a genuine mistake and re-emphasized my high allergy to egg and how i went straight into anaphylaxis. However my last plate, the dessert was definitely contaminated by egg since i spent the duration of the night throwing up in their fancy bathrooms and had to use my epipen to avoid an anaphylaxis.
And as if this were not enough the staff refused my allergic reaction as genuine and kept mentioning that the dish did not contain egg. This was highly unprofessional and totally demeaning to my state, to not even mention that i had to pay the full bill of 400 euros although i threw up my half.
I will definitely not return as i expected better care for allergies in a michellin star restaurant. Or at least they should have mentioned if they could not cater to an allergic person, i would have happily gone somewhere else.

Date of visit: October 2017
Leslie C, Directeur général at Alcyone, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us following your recent visit at l’Alcyone and for your candid feedback.

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your experience. Please be assured that we take food intolerances and allergies incredibly seriously.

I am truly concerned about what happened when you dined with us and to investigate this matter further with the team, may I kindly ask you to send me the name, date and time of your reservation at andrea.ters@ihg.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

With best wishes,

Andrea Ters - F&B Manager

Reviewed 25 July 2018

My husband was the one who chose this restaurant and what a great job he did! The décor was elegantly understated, relaxed and conducive to eating an excellent meal. We were greeted at the main entrance of the hotel and were directed to the restaurant. Along the way we met other staff members who insured that we found our way. The staff was quite attentive and informative. Your water glasses were always filled without asking, your courses were explained and your server checked on your satisfaction without being intrusive. We received complimentary appetizers and pre-desserts as well as our courses. Each course was beautifully presented and were delicious. My husband and I had the bouillabaisse starter which was expertly prepared, he had the saddle of lamb which was tender and divine and I had the fish of the day with vegetables grown in their kitchen garden. We each had the pistachio soufflé which was also delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant. It is pricey but well worth the dining experience.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

I’ll start by saying I’ve eaten at other Michelin Star restaurants including several 3 Star. Alcyone has one huge thing going for it and that’s its location, decor and view. This has to be one of the worlds most romantic views.

The service started off very well with the usual Michelin Star attention to detail but over the evening the ball was dropped several times. All minor things often due to servers that are still being trained (by the looks of it). Despite those few flaws the staff looked and acted very professional.

The food was very good although the menu is a very heavy seafood menu. This is typical being Marseille and seafood being a huge staple. There was however and amazing veal course that broke up the seafood over time. Everything was plated beautifully and tasted very good. Two of us opted for the cheese board but we were so full at that point there was no way either of us got what we paid for.

Be cautious as the bill can climb fast with courses you think are part of the tasting menu but are not. The cheese course being a perfect example. It’s offered but not mentioned at the time it’s an additional charge. Also digestives are offered at the end of the meal and two of us chose what I assume would be the least expensive cognac (10 years old) and if memory serves it was 50€. The addition to caviar on the tasting menu wasn’t mentioned until I asked and it’s an additional 199€ for 50g of caviar.

Despite those little negatives we had a great meal and experience. The view alone is ALOST worth the price of admission.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 18 April 2018

For a friend's birthday, I was invited to the Alcyon Restaurant ( Michelin Star ) for dinner.
Regardless of the service, that by necessity in this kind of restaurants must be as refined as possible, often slipping into the grotesque, we have not only ate rather badly (flavors too accentuated to exhibit the chef's skills), it happens that at the end of the dinner one of the commensal felt sick, and everyone else, and I mean everyone! had to run to the bathroom, which at least was a kind of funny set of circumstances that made the evening unforgettable.That said, however, what annoys me most is that before presenting the bill comes the chef to receive the praise of pragmatics: a lanky guy with satisfied look and anorexic appearance - (a bit 'as if going to a gym to get in shape you are received by a fat guy pretending to be your instructor). Not wanting to criticize the food, also because I was a guest and would not be polite (on the other hand when you go to this type of restaurants you already know where you put yourself ), I could not fail to mention to the Auguste Escoffier on duty, that the meat of my son, a - Galician beef fillet, old-fashioned bearnaise sauce, pressed potatoes with black truffle - it tasted and smelled of refrigerator (I do not know a better way to describe that kind of unpleasant taste / smell that sometimes stands out in the meat),- proved with disgust by all the guests, -
Far from accepting the remark, and apologizing, the pretentious chef did not even have the delicacy to remove such filth from the bill, and talking of 800 € for 4 people, of which only one had a glass of wine, the others are teetotalers, is totally unacceptable.
Fortunately, the rush to the bathroom freed us immediately, leaving only a ludicrous memory, which I do not recommend to anyone.

Date of visit: March 2018