All reviews overlooking the harbour vieux port excellent soundproofing classic room your doorstep old harbour double glazing nespresso machine separate shower short break brilliant location including breakfast room number breakfast room lovely room noise from the street hotel is excellent
Reviewed 30 September 2018

This hotel is situated right on the waterfront, near to the shops and the old town, The room we were given was large but very dark as the only window opened onto a brick wall. The lights were so subdued so that we had to ask for another lamp. The breakfasts were OK but could be better, The aircon is centrally controlled but still reasonably cold. Free wifi but not the fastest, Helpful and pleasant staff, Would happily come again but hopefully to a lighter room.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2018

One Friday to Saturday night, in a 4th floor-room which overlooks Le Vieux Port (gorgeous view) and was very quiet at the same time (excellent soundproofing). I enjoyed good interaction with staff although my written request for late check-out had not been dealt with when I checked in. No guest directory in my room, but an invitation to consult the hotel website. Too bad it does not give the information found in a guest directory such as breakfast hours, etc. This is the second time in a row I miss a guest directory in M Gallery hotels, and I wonder whether Accor is trying to save money by removing them. Although refurbished, the hotel’s building has kept some of its old features for best (room furniture) and worst: there is only one elevator for guests, the second being reserved for staff; many rooms obviously open on inside courtyards with no view; etc. Breakfast seems average by M Gallery standards as no menu is available to supplement the buffet. I would have liked items cooked on-demand such as fried eggs. Maybe this lack is a consequence of no restaurant being located inside the property? I had two major disappointments. First my bathroom: no cotton bud, no soap, no individual toiletries but big dispensers hung on the wall (does someone check they are disposed of 12 months after opening as is required by producer?); ridiculously low water pressure in the shower; some old stains (blood?) on one of the bath towel (which I guess the hotel is not responsible for, as washing is most likely outsourced); toilets not separated. Second, the safe in my room was a joke as it is not screwed to anything and can be removed with all the customers’ valuables inside (see picture where I have put the safe out of furniture and placed it on bed!). To sum up, my experience at Grand Hotel Beauvau was average. In the same price category, I prefer the Sofitel, and even the New Hotel of Marseille that I tried just after this stay at Grand Hotel Beauvau.

Room Tip: Spend extra money and indulge yourself with Vieux Port view
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

The hotel is opposite the Metro station and the old port but its entrance is at the other side. When we checked in the pleasant receptionist mentioned we had been upgraded to a port view for free. I replied that I had paid for this upgrade but she stated that I hadn’t and it was a free upgrade.
The room (208) was very small. No chest of drawers and the only hanging space was a converted chute! But it did have the view of the old port and the double glazing did a great job of keeping the noise out.
I then had a shower and couldn’t find any bath towels, just a hand towel where the bath towel should be. We rang reception and they said they didn’t have any!! I’ve never experienced anything like this in any star hotel. And this is deemed a four star one. I saw the housekeeper the next day and she confirmed there were no bath towels but gave us two hand towels each. When we got back in the evening one of those had disappeared!!
The bill at check out was higher than expected so I queried it. I had been charged for the “free upgrade “!
I would not stop here again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Booked the hotel for 5 days. On the 3rd night noticed there were no bath towels in bathroom so called housekeeping. No one picks up in housekeeping as this was the second time we had called and no one picked up. So called the front desk and were told they didn’t have any bath towels!!We paid $270 a night. Unbelievable.
Asked the front desk to make reservations for a restaurant they recommended and they forgot.
On our fourth day the elevator stopped working. So would not recommend this place for that price!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunsand2015
Reviewed 5 September 2018

The Grand Hotel Beauvau Vieux Port is an historical hotel overlooking the old port in Marseilles that has been recently renovated and is run by MGALLERY/Sofitel. It is classified as a four-star hotel. We opted for what we considered to be the best room in the hotel – a terrace suite - of which there were two, both named after previous famous guests, George Sand and Frédéric Chopin. We were allocated the Chopin suite. Both suites were an add-on structure to the top floor of the original hotel (on the seventh floor), so not really part of the normal floors. As such, they did have a reasonable view of the port and harbor over roof tops, although the Chopin suite’s balcony was on the small side. The suite consisted of the sitting room, the bathroom and separate shower and toilet between the sitting room and bedroom. The suite, which was on the drab side, would have been comfortable enough except it was August and the hot sun streaming in (despite the drawn curtains) made the suite unpleasant for most of the day and even into the night. The air-conditioning was on all the time and on maximum yet struggled to cool things down. Whether this applied to rooms in the original building (under the add-on on the seventh floor) we do not know. The ambience in the hotel gave us the impression that the renovation was not in keeping with the history; for example, the bar on the first floor was not attractively furnished and had a low ceiling. Not a nice place for drink in the evening. The one staff member at reception when we arrived was not what we would call all that welcoming – pleasant enough, but hardly enthusiastic about her job. First impressions stick. The bar fridge in the suite, which contained complimentary water and soft drinks failed in the heat and when reported, it was attended to in that it was sent to the technician for repairs but never did work. Hot drinks in a hot room are not acceptable. The redeeming feature was the location – it is perfectly situated facing the port. We have stayed in many better four-star hotels – if this was four stars, then it is on the lower end of the scale.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple