See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was worried by the negative reviews for this hotel, but I took a gamble and it paid off! If you are expecting an American sized hotel, then you should immediately look elsewhere. If you don't mind the authentic, older building, European hotel, close to the old town, then this is the place for you. This is a hotel in right by Old Town Villefranche; it was just what we were looking for in our stop on the Riviera. The rooms are postage stamp small, but clean and neat, with AC! Our room had a balcony with a view of the harbor, so we sat out and enjoyed the sunsets before heading to the port for drinks and sinner. The staff was absolutely charming and very helpful. It is a hike up the small stairs, but we considered it worth the trade to be so close. No nightmare scenario of smelly bathrooms or horrible rooms, it wasn't the Ritz, but we weren't expecting or paying for the Ritz. The road below our window was VERY noisy at night, so you will either need earplugs or you will have to close the door at night. We closed the door and all was well. Perfect for our brief three days in Villefranche--I will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view--preferably the third floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I would recommend only a room on the 3rd last floor (but no lift) with sea view as more quiet.
Wi-Fi, AC, TV, confortable bed, no shower door (so bathroom gets flooded).
Good location, near the city centre (5 min walk), very close to bus stop, 15min from train station but hilly – thus to be avoided if luggage.
Breakfast is 10€, expensive considering the quality.
Staff friendly and helpful.
In line with a 2 stars hotel, hight rates but that's the Riviera...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Very basic hotel with simple rooms and run down furniture and carpets. In a great location that provides wonderful sea view. Convenient to bus station and many cafes and restaurants. Breakfast not included and not all staff speaks English. Luggage elevator out-of-order, leaving only a cramped, narrow stairwell.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dwayne S
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I have long thought that the Riviera was the worst hotel in Villefranche so why did I book it? I hate to admit it but when I discovered that my favourite, the Darse, was full I thought I had booked the Provencal but somehow ended up in the Riviera! The entire hotel is shabby and run down with little attempt at modernisation since about 1970 or so. The one saving grace is that the rooms on the seaward side do have a great view. I won't make the same mistake again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view. Rooms on the main road side are very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 26 June 2012

20 minutes from Nice Airport by taxi. We stayed here for 4 nights and the views over Ville Franche was breathtaking. 10 min walk to the main town and very quite which was great. Town gets busy in the evenings so it was nice tog et away from that. Rooms are comfortable and have been recently been refurbished, bed and pillows very comfortable. Bathrooms are very modern, only downside was that the shower head is not fixed to the wall so you have to hold it over yourself and there was no shower door so the floor got drenched! Only one mirror which is in the bathroom. But these are minor things. Each room has it's own balcony and we sat here every morning have our bought in breakfast, local boulangerie only 10mins walk away. Breakfast is €15. No fridge in the room which wasn't a problem for us but one evening an another hotel guest asked about one and one was put in her room for her. Handy for drinks etc. Staff were friendly, pool is very private and we sat out each afternoon in a gorgeous terrace area. Wifi is free only in reception/terrace area and this was just a lovely place to relax and have a drink. We ate in the restaurant on the last night and the food was a little over priced but great none the less. Bus stops right outside hotel and you pay only €1 to go to , Beaulie, Eze, and Monaco which was great value, only thing is the bus gets full very easily so I'd recommend either the early morning bus or later in the afternoon, or walk the few minutes to the town and when people get off there's more chance of getting on.

I would highly recommend this hotel and we plan to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 109 and as this is the top floor we had a better view, higher floor numbers are actually down levels.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple