All reviews dark streets absolutely loved this hotel beautiful garden sun loungers mini bar star property character and charm romantic hotel side street rooms are beautiful heated pool the hotel staff the hotel offers very nice hotel old town south of france courtyard
Reviewed 11 August 2016

As I'm wheelchair bound, this is a very personal review, but many points may be relevant to 'normal' guests. I'll write a further review with other issues pertinent to all. For now I'll start with the good:

The building is beautiful: a bit of an oasis in a busy little town. Our rooms were lovely and spacious. Although, talking to other guests, it seems they were not so lucky.

Fatiha, on reception, was charming and endlessly helpful. Michael, who acts as host, was very professional: our bed was too high for any normal small-ish person, let alone one with mobility issues. So he arranged for it to be dismantled and replaced immediately.

Now for bad...

Having been assured that the hotel is wheelchair accessible, we arrived to find that it certainly isn't. I could only access the courtyard, as I was met by two large steps at the door to the room I had booked for myself and my husband. There was also a very large step into the shower. Consequently, we switched rooms with my daughter (which made for a very happy 17 year old). Our new room, we were told, met the criteria for disabled services. I don't know quite how, as it also had two significant steps to the door, which could only be surmounted by a makeshift board, three-piece ramp constructed on the day of arrival, which was frankly scary and downright dangerous. I can't imagine it ever satisfying safety regulations. We were also given a low bath with an overhead shower, not the walk-in shower I was expecting. No matter, I managed in a rather undignified fashion, with the help of my husband. There were no grab rails in sight. The bar, breakfast room and reception area were also inaccessible. In summary, this is not a hotel suitable for wheelchair users - although I was told that previous disabled guests had no problems at all...

As for the ugly, the main hotel entrance was completely off limits to me (two large steps) and I had to enter through a back gate accompanied by used bin bags and building materials. This was not an inexpensive holiday and feel I had a right to expect more (disabled or not). Watch this space to find out more...

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank carrie63
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We spent one night at this quietly positioned hotel. The hotel comprises a walled compound embracing two old mansions and stables converted to hotel accommodation. The type and standard of room varies and I am advised that not two rooms are alike.
Our room was what one might described as quirky, it was functional, rather than comfortable - a couple of comfortable chairs would have been welcomed.
A continent breakfasts was served in the courtyard, surrounded by gardens making it an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TedD958
Reviewed 20 July 2016

i checked in early before 9 in the morning having come off a riverboat. Fully realised my room would not be ready and decided to explore. Michael took my mobile number to call me when my room was ready and sent me to he breakfast room for a complimentary pot of coffee armed with a city map. On my return Michael personally escorted me to my room where my suitcase was ready and waiting. There are some things which are missing, BBC or CNN coverage, bottled water, coffee or tea facilities and breakfast was not included and a bit pricey. My bed was comfortable, bed linen outstanding with personalised hotel logo, the bathroom toiletries - Hermes - presented again in a hotel logo packet as well as a night sweet treat on the pillow. Lovely little touches which did not go unnoticed. Michael also organised a taxi pickup for me. I would stay there again, peaceful, tranquil and loved the pool, garden and decor all in white.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Helen B
Reviewed 7 July 2016

Well located in the heart of the old town - slightly difficult to find and hard to access by road - this is an old series of houses/town mansions with an internal garden providing pleasant environment and area for pool/dining/sitting etc.
We arrived at midday and needed a snack. This was provided and quite good as 1 salad 1 pasta and 3 glasses of local wine with bread at a cost of approx. 80euros!!
Our bedroom - ROOM 10 -should be avoided at ALL COSTS!
A good walk to it up stairs from courtyard but no problem there.
The room is an old room adapted to having en-suite facilities by a part partitioning of a sliver to one end in front of which is the bed- which sloped to the middle and was not comfortable!
To one side of the bed is a WC about one metre square or less. Your head can hit the door to get off WC. When you open the door a bright light goes on night nd day with no facility to turn it off. A/C is immediately over this and on the immediate left side of bed facing it.As a result any visit to the WC in the night wakes up the sleeper there with a shock couple with the noise of the A/C.
You then have to walk all around the bed to the other side to squeeze into washbasin area with shower beyond - both within a ver small width.
Absolutely unworkable and we did not sleep hardly at all.
On mentioning this to the management we experience complete disinterest and a 'well- that's how it is' attitude.
Very expensive hotel for what it is and in our experience not worth it.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 10!!!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lockyCardiff
Reviewed 20 June 2016

Arles is a small, unassuming town and we had some fantastic service across the board whilst there. It's a real shame this hotel isn't on a par with the rest of the town.

The hotel is pretentious in its approach, everything must be done on their terms as opposed to the guest's, examples of this are: telephoning you to come down and settle the bill the night before as the lady who manages the bills doesn't work Sundays or telling you off for wheeling your suitcase on their gravel drive as it disturbs guests.

If that's not enough a bottle of wine is 32euros in a region where wine is 3euros a pichet.

I've spent a lot of time in France and speak French fluently and even still this place is just hard work from beginning to end for no real reason, in a town that really could do with the business!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple