Review Highlights
Aix lake and dam

Lac du Bimont in Aix-en-Provence in the French Alps is a beautiful serene lake we had the pleasure... read more

Reviewed 30 January 2018

via mobile

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Aix-en-Provence
from US$144.64
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

We've made Aix en Provence-->barrage du Bimont with bikes at extremely low pace (we both didn't touch a bicycle for years until then) and arrived after 1:45 hours. It's only about 10kms but you have a long way up to Sainte Victoire. The view is beautiful, we had a very blue water down the lake. You can pique-nique there and there is fresh water fountain. The way back to Aix is much easier and funny since it's only downside, just be careful with the cars since you don't have much space.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

The dam is one of the biggest I visited and the water has beautiful color. You can make different types of walking there. Girl who works at info point was very nice and helpful.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 29 December 2015 via mobile

Very nice place to check out, beautiful sight.. Water is parfait good place to have a bite to eat or just to go and read a book n chill.. Must see

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed 21 August 2015

Great place to hike toward Mont Victorie - take the morning bus from Aix, just ask at the bus station. Impressive dam and great hiking under pine forest with wild rosemary and thyme understory. Small correction. The dam is the Barrage du Bimont, but the lake that it creates is Lake Zola. Beautiful blue reservoir for drinking water. I was told it was created as part of Zola´s engineering feat, to create adequate constant water supply to Aix as it grew.

Date of experience: August 2015
2  Thank Janis857
Reviewed 13 July 2015

I was staying in Aix during a heat wave and thought it would be good to get into the countryside. I don't drive in France but it was easy to take a bus. The Tourist Information office staff were very helpful and gave me a time table for Lepilote buses. I purchased a carnet of tickets (Pass Provence - 10 journeys) for local buses.

The bus station is a few minutes walk from Tourist Office down Avenue des Belges. I took bus number 140 which leaves from Stand 3. You need the exact fare or a Pass Provence. I took the first bus of the day at 08.15.The bus timetable indicated that the bus would arrive at Barrage du Bimont at 8.40. The stop was J2

When I got off the bus, there was a fork in the road and a sign to Barrage Bimont, just to the right. I noticed the bus continued it's journey towards Vauvenargues taking the left fork. It took about 25 minutes walking to reach the large car park and the dam.

There were lots of woodland trails which will take you up towards Mont Sainte Victoire, but I could not make that journey by foot during this heat wave. I was very happy to stay by the lake which was peaceful and isolated.

The return journey was uneventful, but I had to make sure I timed it right so that I was not waiting for the return bus in scorching heat. You need to stand at the stop across the road and about 200 meters down the road from where you got off, called J4.

There was a large car park at the lake if you prefer to travel independently. Bring lots of water if you intend to walk far. The lake is beautiful and the woodlands are spacious.

Date of experience: July 2015