“3 Stars Michelin? Seriously?”
Review of L'Astrance

L'Astrance
Reserve with
L'Astrance is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #648 of 18,737 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$99 - US$430
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trocadero
Reviewed 9 March 2015

I came to L'Astrance with lot of expectations... 3 Stars Michelin are an important "certification of quality". It means that this restaurant should be among the best restaurants worldwide. When you pay 700 euros for a dinner (for 2 people) you of course are looking for an unforgettable experience!

But does L'Astrance really have 3 stars? I can not understand... I would really love to eat together with Michelin experts who expressed such a high judgement.
To be honest, the food was not so exceptional: the dish I appreciated the most was the one with black truffle and parmesan (with the shape of a heart in the middle, that was not something so original in my opinion). The duck was also very well cooked.

However I would not come back to this restaurant and, if I have to be honest, I do not advise people to eat there.

The service was nice and the atmosphere was very good (although a waiter did not treat my partner in a perfect way in few moments). When you go to such an important restaurant, you also expect (besides exceptional food) to be cared, assisted and, figuratively, "cuddled"... but at L'Astrance it did not happen at all. Maybe because I am 23 years old?! I do not know.

One strange thing happened at the moment of the change after we paid the bill: while I was at the bathroom the waiter brought the rest (90 euros) and my partner (thinking it was much less) said that it was not necessary without checking it. After few seconds, when I came back, I asked - with lot of embarrassment - the same waiter if he could bring again the change, letting him realise the little (and embarrassing, I must admit) misunderstanding... but he "turned a blind eye", he did not do anything, and obviously I did not insist, so we left the restaurant.

Besides this last thing, I would say that the atmosphere is good, the food is good also but I will never come back because I can easily replace this restaurant with several 1 star restaurants where, with about 400 euros (which is almost the half of what we spent) you eat the same of L'Astrance.

6  Thank Alex90BG

Reviewed 25 December 2014

Best ever restaurant in France!!! I have nothing to say it was perfect!! best meal of my entire life

2  Thank sebastian h
Reviewed 19 December 2014

From the atmosphere in the main dining to the wine list and the service, amazing! Everything you see, touch or drink is accurate. Great work on the wine list!
We'll be back!

Reviewed 17 December 2014

L'Astrance is a small and charming restaurant near the Eiffel Tower. The dishes that Pascal Barbot come up with are creative, appealing to the eyes and orgasmic the taste buds! In one instance, the tastes and flavors were so familiar yet unique and a second later I'm happily perplexed how the combination of of these tastes created wonderful sensations in my mouth!

Our dishes were artistic, even technical if that's even possible with food. Most of all they were provocative. Each dish was prepared perfectly with the intent to stimulate my senses: visual delight, aromas that piqued my curiosity, and satisfying tastes and textures.

I couldn't see what was going on in the kitchen but Pascal Barbot and the L'Astrance Team are doing things very, very right!

Thank you for making our 10 year anniversary a memorable one!

Reviewed 15 December 2014

After visiting L'Astrance 2 times before - I was eager to bring my parents here on their first trip to Paris. While my mom is a picky eater & vegetarian, I called ahead to let them know that we would have 1 diner that was vegetarian. I feel like that was the kiss of death.

I've raved about the food and amazing service in the past - and have no problem paying $300 a person for a good meal. This past experience just didn't live up to the others. The service was slow (slower than usual - most other tables were a full course ahead of us), the meals were pieced together well. The food was pleasant (as 3 michelin stars would indicate).

What got me was the fact that I think they didn't give us the same courses as everyone else since there was a vegetarian at the table. Since I've had the lunch and dinner experience before - there were certain things that I expected that we didn't get. When asked if we would be seeing them in later courses, I was told "Sorry we aren't doing that today!" I glanced around and clearly saw 5 other tables with the course I was told wasn't being served that day.

Overall - the experience was pleasant and the servers were kind to my non-French speaking parents. If you're a vegetarian, I'd say choose another restaurant. They don't like their courses altered! 3 Michelin stars is impressive - but not when your paying $300 for a lackluster meal.

1  Thank Nateairnj