Alex the Tour Guide Tours
Review Highlights
Custom Tour

Alex gave us a private tour of the Montmartre and Sacre' Coeur are of Paris. He's a delete and... read more

Reviewed 23 July 2019
gary t
Amazing day at Versailles with Alex!

We had a wonderful day at Versailles today with Alex. He was everything we had expected from... read more

Reviewed 9 August 2017
HeatherSanDiego_CA
San Diego, CA
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and 10 year-old daughter were fortunate to visit Paris during August 2014. We only had a few days in the incredible city, so it was difficult to decide what to do. Fortunately, we chose to spend a half day with Alex The Tour Guide on a private tour of the Gardens of Versailles. We found Alex via Yelp and Trip Advisor, and we intrigued by his positive reviews from other travelers. I can now understand why he comes so highly regarded. From the moment we reached out to him via email in January, the interactions with him were professional, prompt and thorough. Alex knows his stuff. He told me all that his tour would include (tour guides are not allowed to go inside the Palace itself, so we had him for three hours walking the grounds and then had the option of entering the Palace on our own afterwards). He knew about a special concert that was happening in the gardens during our visit, and he even knew which fountains would be operating during the hours of our walk around. It was an absolute delight to turn a corner and see a fountain 'show' just starting up! He narrated the history of the fountains and the Kings while the show was happening - not overpowering the show - simply supplementing what we were seeing.

Keeping a 10 year-old entertained for that period of time while walking around on a hot August day is not a small accomplishment, and Alex succeeded! My daughter commented afterward that she learned more during our time together than she had learned on any other tour during the trip. And, even better, she still remembers the facts that she learned because Alex is such a great storyteller - he really makes history come alive while he's speaking. His passion is contagious - both my husband and myself were caught up in his stories as well! We will never think of the French Revolution in the same way now that we've seen Versailles with Alex The Tour Guide.

Also, he's simply a nice guy. We finished the tour, and I realized that I had not yet paid him! And, of course, we didn't have enough Euro with us to give him cash. So, he simply billed us via PayPay and we paid him when we returned to the USA! It felt great to be trusted like that!

All in, Alex earns all his 5-star reviews. Book him while you have the chance - he's a real treasure!!

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank KearnsFamily2014
Reviewed 10 July 2014

It was so refreshing to discover this completely different side of Paris, a great way to get off the beaten track without the worry of getting lost! Alex was a fantastic guide, he shared his knowledge of the history of the area as we walked along finding these amazing artworks and he also told us about the contemporary side of things including some background on the artists, for me these touches of context set this tour apart and really made the whole experience that much richer! Thank you Alex!

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A friend of ours gifted 2 days with Alex to take us on a walking tour of Paris. It was amazing! He is so knowledgeable and truly has a passion for the history of the city. He made the streets come alive through the factual stories he told of historical events. I can't imagine learning about a city in any other way. His tour is a must do in Paris!

Date of experience: May 2014
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a little late but I visited Paris, last fall. I toured with Alex for two days. It was one of the most insightful, intelligence, full of energy, and stories type of tour I went on. I recently traveled back to a different part of Europe and hired a private tour guide and it was not nearly as captivating or exciting as he creates for you. i gifted my two friends a tour with him recently and they had a blast!
He is rare so go book with him you won't regret it!!!

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank Tiffaney W
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I don't usually book tours unless it is in a museum but we are really glad we booked this one as it gave our experience in Paris a new dimension. Our tour actually felt more like an adventure as we put our maps and guidebooks down for a while and let Alex lead the way. We thoroughly enjoyed the street art that could be seen and found it to be an excellent opportunity to walk around parts of Paris that we would not have otherwise explored on our own. We found that the way Alex shared his knowledge, not only about the street artists but the history of the neighbourhoods they are situated in to be very engaging. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: June 2014