All reviews sacre coeur moulin rouge mini pastries blanche metro my home away from home small bathroom nice street nespresso coffee machine nice hotel perfect location lots of nice restaurants luggage room restaurants and shops croissants crepes single room would stay again
Reviewed 3 October 2018

Stayed for one night and would recommend the location to anyone, lots of nice restaurants nearby and walking distance from Sacre Cour to see sunset. Lift was broken while we were there and so had to carry heavy luggage up 5 levels of narrow stairs. Service was ok but not overly welcoming compared to other places we have travelled on this trip.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Mohamed S, Directeur général at Hotel Basss, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear CONEL,
First of all, we thank you very much for your feedback.Please be assured that we take into our consideration all your remarks and suggestions.
I’m really so sorry that your stay haven’t met your expectations. Please be informed that our lift have been repaired after your departure.
The reception team and me remain at your disposal to discuss about this inconvenience.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Positives:* Location is excellent - cafes, restaurants, sights, a lively street. * Nice bedroom and a comfy big bed* Very nice lady on reception Negatives:* Bathroom unbearably small - ridiculous * Breakfast area too small and cramped. About 20 can squeeze in but the hotel sleeps 50 or 60!* Tables left for a very very longtime with dirty plates on. * Small outdoor area for breakfast pictured on the website was where the rubbish is kept! Not pleasant. * Lift not working.

Dear Londoner_its_me,

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Stayed for 3 nights. Pros - excellent location. Close to shops, cafes, and 2 metro stops.Cons - tiny room, tiny bathroom, lift was broken everyday so we had to climb 4 flights of stairs with luggage and everyday, electrical outlets didn’t work, AC didn’t work, phone in hallway constantly rang very early on one day, very expensive at 170 Euro per night (!!) especially with all of these issues.Hotel seems very poorly run and managed!

Dear jinlee767,
I’m really so sorry that your stay haven’t met your expectations. Please be informed that the reception team and me remain at your disposal to discuss about this inconvenience.

Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly located Montmarte. There are so many excellent French eateries and shops close by. The Sacre Coeur is less than 10 minutes walk. Moulin Rouge is also about 10 minutes walk as well. A further 10 min from Moulin Rouge to the Opera house, Galleries Lafayette etc. There’s a lot of street art in area surrounding the hotel.
The lady on reception was really nice.

Flaws.......
* My picture shows the entire bathroom. When seated, my knees touched the wall. It was difficult to manoeuvre before or after using the facility so it was easier to do this outside the bathroom before/after.

* I had the shower set to a comfortable temperature but had random blasts of scalding hot water which made jump to the side to get away from it.

* Breakfast is VERY basic. Tables were rarely cleared. The breakfast area only seats about 20 but it appears the hotel sleeps 60+ so people often waited or missed out.

* If the lift isn’t working (it wasn’t when we were there) it is quite a climb up the stairs to the top floors. Especially carrying suitcases etc. The hotel offered no assistance with the elevator being out of service.

* Perhaps a locked area for luggage storage rather than leaving them in reception which is sometimes unattended (but its good they offer this service).

Dear BBB-MLJ,
We thank you very much for your feedback.Please be assured that we take into our consideration all your remarks and suggestions.
As our hotel has several room types, we will be happy to show you our superior rooms the next time.
Looking forward to see you again at Le Basss.

Reviewed 28 September 2018

We stayed in Hotel Basss for a few nights in mid-September 2018.
A mixture of good and not so good for this review – hopefully helpful to those deciding on if this hotel is right for them.

The Good
The location – simply awesome location, it’s near to a number of metro stops (all only a few minutes’ walk and various lines to help you get where you need to), close to lots of good quality friendly restaurants, some local shops including a few mini supermarkets/corner shop style places, some lovely bakeries, pharmacies, ice cream places and generally a very pretty area to wander around – day or night. I felt safe walking around at night. I’d say a mix of tourists and locals. The main nearby touristy (Sacre Coeur) area was about 10 minutes’ walk and the Moulin Rouge/red light area about 10 minutes’ walk too.
The hotel is very clean – clean throughout the whole hotel. The general décor although not posh or what I’d call a boutique high end finish – but it is smart, tidy and well presented.
The staff are friendly and polite and happy to help. All are happy to speak good English if needed.
The breakfast – only continental and limited selection, but fresh and good quality – self-service to meats, cheeses, good bread, good quality mini pastries, boiled eggs. Tea and coffee you help yourself to from machine – not amazing but certainly not awful. If you want something more / cooked / real coffee go next door to the restaurant for breakfast for a few euros.
Smokers – there is a little enclosed outdoor room at the back which is sheltered
Check in and out was quick and painless
The bathroom (which also appears in the bad points below) was recently decorated to a very high standard. Shower was powerful and hot all the time. Nice toiletries which I’ve seen in good UK hotels.

The bad
Although I expected a small and compact room (it is Paris after all), but it really was very small for a 2 person room. At best 1 foot around the bed and maybe a meter square in front of the doorway and bathroom, that’s it. It was so small I would say it was uncomfortable and easy to knock into things. The bathroom (very nice to look at, clean and great shower) but if you are tall and sitting on the toilet your knees will be up against the door. If you are on the toilet and lean forward, you will hit your head on the door or handle as I did twice. If you were unfortunate enough to be ill and need to kneel in front of the toilet, don’t expect to shut the door. Also there is a luggage rack to use, but unless you actually block the doorway there is nowhere to actually put it safely. I think as long as you are fully aware of this fact before you book, and you accept this and it doesn’t bother you too much, you’ll be fine with the limited space.

Smell – I’ve seen in other people’s posts from many months ago even last year that this is a constant problem the hotel has and probably can’t do anything about. It does smell quite strongly of sewage at certain points of the day in the reception area (I felt sorry for the reception staff), we did also get strong sewage smells in our bathroom and room at various points throughout our stay.

Noise – mostly internal hotel noise, it is an old building so to be expected/can’t be helped. The elevator pinged a lot loudly and its doors banged loudly, not really sound proofed in anyway. Let’s just say I could very much hear what was going on next door, down the hall and above our room at night…. And I could easily hear full conversations next door. Take ear plugs if I were you.

A few bits lacking in the room, for the rate we paid I would expect to have bottled water in the room, some milk cartons for the coffee, more than 1 cup in a double room, towels (the bath towels are not big enough to wrap around you and I’m not that big), a shelf in the bathroom so I didn’t have to leave my toiletries on the floor – these are things the hotel can sort out.
I wasn’t bothered that it didn’t have a fridge or mini bar or a room safe – but as a 3 star some people would expect these things as standard.

To end – it is the best location. If you are planning to be out and about most of the day and the night and just are looking for somewhere to sleep and lay your head and don’t mind being cramped and it's only for a day or two – this hotel should do ok for you. If you like to be comfortable and relax in your room and the hotel amenities are important to you, or are staying for more than a night or two - maybe stick with this location and select a different hotel. Many of the negatives can’t be helped but they did impact my stay.

This is not a bad hotel, friendly staff and very clean and the most awesome location, but I would not stay again as I like to enjoy and relax in the hotel room as well as exploring – and we felt very cramped – I don’t think it is the hotels fault, they only have the space they have, but I think if I’d of known how small it was going to be I may of chosen another hotel in the area.

Two recommendations for local restaurants – the one next door as you go out on the left café Bruant – was lovely food, drink and really friendly service. Across the road, opposite to the left of the hotel, Le Nazir was also very good food and service – a mix of both tourists and locals in both.

Metros within a few minutes’ walk – Blanche, Pigalle, Abbesses and Anvers.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Patches1480,

Thank you so much for this nice feedback. My team and me take into consideration all your remarks in order to improve our product and offer you you the best experience.
Looking forward to see you again in Montmartre.