“Lovely Food, Great Staff!”
Review of Hippopotamus

Hippopotamus
Ranked #87 of 260 Restaurants in Troyes
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

We were having an overnight in Troyes, we had never been here before so didn't know where to go etc.. Hippopotamus was just round the corner from our hotel. We had been travelling all day with 3 kids and we were all knackered.

They have a lovely outdoor dining area but it's full of smokers so unless you smoke it's not the best.

Inside has a kind of diner/grill feel to it. The staff were really helpful and friendly, and were very patient with my terrible French and made a real effort to speak to us in English.

There was a great variety of food, fish, steak, burgers etc, kids menu was really good too. Me and my husband had the fish and chips and my 6 year old had chicken nuggets. They gave us a table that was big enough for our double buggy to sit with our twins.

The food was really lovely, we were served quickly and the staff were very attentive. My son had a chocolate mousse for dessert and it was the biggest chocolate mousse I have ever seen. We all had a bit and it was delicious!

If we are ever back in Troyes we will definitely be back to Hippopotamus.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

This restaurant was booked as part of a package for a trip through France, and rather than being able to choose from the menu we were provided with a set menu. I think the restaurant struggled with the party size in terms of serving, however the food was OK. It would seem to me that more staff are required. It is handily placed with the Mercure next door.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

I arrived close to 10pm. So it was already past prime time for dinner. My parents already were halfway through their main course, but they arrived almost 45 minutes to an hour ahead of us. When we arrived, they said that it took them almost half an hour to order because the lady kept pushing them away till they almost got angry at her.

When it was my turn to order, I got similar treatment. The ladyship her head no as she passed by and walked away. After another 5 minutes of waiting, I called another waiter who also shook her head and pointed away (presumably toward the previous lady, as she was our waitress). After another 5 minutes, the our waitress finally came over and took our orders. She seemed nice for the most part so I didn't take my parents' account too seriously or I would've been upset. I think that they are either understaffed, or didn't expect so many people. But seeing the few other reviews here it seems they are understaffed. I see waiters and waitresses running around everywhere like they're super busy all the time.

Food was OK. I had the ribs and they were decent.

Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

After driving from the UK we took a walk along to Hippopotamus and decided to eat outside with our dog. The staff were very friendly and the service quick.

We both had the chateaubriand which was absolutely delicious.

A couple of things on the menu were not available hence the 4 star rating but this is a great place for a well priced delicious meal on a stopover.

Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

Walk in at 7.30 in the evening just having driven for 8 hours from Italy .A very nice lady showed us to our table ,couple minutes later a waitress plonk a small dish of crisp/ chips( burned) on the table.we ask for a small carafe of house white ,no was the reply in a blunt way is there red in carafe no again in blunt way,and proceed to walk away.With that we decided to walk as way walk out the look on the waitress face was how dare we walk from this restaurant .
The young lady had a real attitude problem,hence cannot report on food only the attitude problem