“It does not come better than this !”
Review of L'Amiral

L'Amiral
Ranked #18 of 117 Restaurants in Concarneau
Price range: US$25 - US$59
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 November 2017

As with one or two other reviews we were first attracted to both Concarneau and L'Amiral as a result of the writer "Jean-luc Bannalec" and his book " Death in Pont Aven" via Commissaire Georges Dupin. We first visited two years ago and could not wait to return. The Commissaire only eats meat at L'Amiral but from our view he should dine on the excellent sea food on offer. It is truly outstanding and the Lobster menu of our second visit proved even better than before. The owners have together with "Jean-Luc Bannalec" assembled an amazing "cook book" of their offers, which we brought home with us. By chance "Jean-luc Bannalec" was dining the night we visited which added even more to our satisfaction. My wife and I are "foodies" and believe us when we tell you L'Amiral is simply the best ! The ambience is excellent and service faultless and friendly.

2  Thank Barry S

Reviewed 20 September 2017

I agree with the positive reviews before mine and would correct one that says only open in the evenings, we ate Sunday lunchtime and it was fully booked lunchtime Tuesday. We took 1 menu Plaisir 47 euro and 1 menu Homard 39.50. With affordable 'lobster' menus you can end up with a creature the size of a very large langoustine. Not here. The crustacean you are to eat is brought live for your approval. If you can't cope with that (and grab it off the plate to hurl it back to sea) just say so. Hot tails of langoustine in sauce and chair of crab were the respective starters. Grilled lobster just right with a hot mousseline over the body part and the tail easy to prize out. The 47 got a hot goats cheese wrapped in filo which was light and tasty. Caramel soufflé for one and an Irish coffee instead of a dessert which I find a very good idea. (Le Prieure in Locronan also offers this)
Wine can be by carafe but it is not of the plonk variety and 50 cl of a chateaux bottled Picol was 18 e. This is a good idea as you can have a mixture of red and white and not over-do your intake. The Gascogne sec by the glass was excellent; fruity and dry at 3.80 e. The service (once you got it) was efficient, cordial and the female sommelier knew her craft in a quiet and pleasant way.
This was the best meal of our seven days trip. Le Relais de Lodonnec was a close second (see my older review) If you are not wanting to pay these prices I would think their brasserie would be well worth trying but booking would save disappointment.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

We went to L'Admiral on the the recommendation of the tourist office. We arrived at 12.30 and the place was almost full. The seafood selection was good but I choose the plat d jour, Oysters followed by Lobster and finishing with a local shortbread dish. The live lobster brought to the table was not the one served. This went to the French couple on the table next to us, mine was a lot smaller, hence the deduction of 1*. The oysters were beautifully fresh and did not need the ginger sauce, I think the best I have had in many a year. The lobster was a bit chewy, which was disappointing.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

My husband is a fan of the writer Jean -luc Bannalec, who writes mysteries in Brittany, with the Commissaire Georges Dupin. In his books this restaurant is noted as the Commissaire favorite restaurant and frequents it in his books.

I had a beautifully presented crab salad and my husband had lobster, both fresh and wonderful. The restaurant is busy with nice ambiance, centrally located next to the Marina.

1  Thank fcoya
Reviewed 23 August 2017

I am talking about the Gastronomique Restaurant l'Amiral, not the Brasserie next door, as we never been in the latest.
I had two meals there, both extremely good, the service was very efficient with a smile.
We had the Lobster Menu, with 3 dishes: Foie Gras, then Lobster, then Vacherin for dessert. The sauces are not overdone, just good simple, skilful cooking and amazing quality, and this Menu at 39.50 Euros was a real bargain. To have the same in London will cost you twice the price, and may be not as good !
The second meal, I had a wild Turbot with petits légumes, well cooked, thick, with crunchy veg, like they should be...just great !

Do reserve your table, if you don't, they'll say: C'est Complet, Kenavo !
(which means Fully booked...Bye bye)