“Dependably Good”

Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2018

We called in for lunch on the off chance it having been a long time since I’d last called in there to discover the place was a pleasant as I remember.
I worked in Greece a gazillion years ago and I love Greek food. Dimitri’s offers a real flavour of the Aegean with a good menu offering a range of foods that include British regulars if you’re with mates who don’t know how to eat tzatziki.
It’s not overpriced and has a great feel all-round.

Date of visit: May 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,567)

Reviewed 30 May 2018

Unfortunately been here twice.
As an Italian with many Greek friends we all have agreed this place is just not good enough.

It's been advised by many of my local friends and the common trend is that the outside bit makes them feel like they are in Greece.

The food is really really poor. The service not great either.

But I suppose with not many Greek restaurants in town and many people not experiencing real Greek food they wouldn't know.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank CHAOSvsORDER
Reviewed 30 May 2018

Fantastic service, brilliant choice of food options. The special deals on multiple mezze plates was very good value for money. All the staff who served us were professional and helpful - we will be back!

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Haven’t been for a while so called for lunch on a sunny bank holiday.
Staff were so friendly on our arrival and showed us too our table in the arcade area. There is a good selection of draught and bottled beers. We picked a selection of tasters and meze dishes which were delicious.
We didn’t wait long for our food from ordering to service.
We had a lovely lunch with friendly staff. I don’t know why we hadn’t been for so long.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

The reason for this awful review was wholly caused by the complete and downright rude nature of the manager. I’m coeliac and I chose this restaurant because they were outlined as having ‘gf’ highlighted on their menu. This appealed to me as I like to not have to always announce my coeliac disease and just be an ordinary, informed diner, knowing I can trust the menu.
I made a silly mistake by trusting the menu and ordered rice to accompany my dish, (marked ‘gf’ next to the mains on the menu, but in fact, not gf with rice).
I wanted to ask if the manager would consider adding more clarity to the menu in future to make it much clearer to avoid the pilaf if you wanted to eat gf.
When the manager arrived, he addressed my husband, turning away from me. He didn’t listen and was instantly on the defensive. I eventually got to ask my reasonable request, at which point, he went off to find a copy of the menu and proceeded to go through it (with my husband) and point out that the pilaf rice shown separately on the menu does state it isn’t gf, and that if he were coeliac, he would definitely have checked this.
I was upset by how much of a scene he caused. Aggressively arguing with my husband, who - quite out of character, was so enraged he said a word he shouldn’t have. I told the manager I thought he was being rude to us and asked him to leave.
He could have turned this around and even got a great review. He really lost me when he addressed my husband instead of me, didn’t listen to either of us and became aggressive and defensive at a really reasonable suggestion that they put the fact that pilaf isn’t gf on the menu next to the so called ‘gf’ options, saving customers from having to search other parts orf the menu and making mistakes because we’re not as perfect as the manager (who, as you’ll remember, would have checked this.)
I think there’s a thing Dimitri’s manager could learn here. Don’t rudely argue with paying customers in front of your other customers. It’s a simple rule of hospitality. This guy suggested we were wrong not to search the menu for the details of all the other ingredients on the menu. I accepted I’d made a mistake - these guys should accept their mistakes too.
My advice to fellow coeliacs - avoid this place. It’s not worth it. No sign of an apology and no basic human decency at all shown by their arrogant manager. If only there was a ‘0’ rating option.