Lowest prices for your stay
US$59
View deal
Trip.com
US$47
View deal
Hotels.comUS$59
Official HotelUS$61
eDreamsUS$59
All reviews free tea and coffee reception area car park town centre iron and ironing board central location comfy bed hot and cold food breakfast included wyvern theatre an overnight stay bathroom door good size railway station stayed for two nights double room reception staff
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 January 2021

Even though my stay wasn't the best, I will choose to be diplomatic in my review;

Arrival

All of the exterior doors, in to the reception, are secured. This is reassuring, in one sense, but I do question the need for this during the day? Reception staff were pleasant enough and they explained a few things, whilst handing me a fact sheet, for everything else. There are 2, well maintained, lifts to take you up to your floor.

Room

On entering the corridor, on which my room was located, I noted it was very cold. It appears that the corridors are not heated. On entering my room, I found it was extremely cold. I checked the windows, and these were closed, although an outer window was open and didn't seem to be able to be closed. Underneath the window was a large radiator. Although it was on, it was (at best) lukewarm. So much so, that I could place my hand on it, and keep it there, quite easily.
I then went to inspect the bathroom, and this was absolutely freezing. The extractor fan was blowing ice cold air IN to the bathroom and there was no way of stopping it. Combining this with the lukewarm radiator, and the cold air blowing under the door, from the corridor, I had a bad feeling things weren't going to improve.

Room facilities

The most surprising thing, about the room, was the fact there was NO in-room tea & coffee making facilities. These were located in reception, which consisted of a communal tea & coffee machine for public use. In these times, I believe all establishments should be encouraging distancing and not encouraging people to be mingling. I did witness a severe lack of distancing, when I left for work on the first morning.

Room move

After 2 hours in the room, I decided I could not stand the temperature any longer and went to reception. I was moved from my existing room, to another, which was much better (thankfully) but, as I pointed out in an email (to the hotel manager) the rooms were very much style over substance. Yes, they were tastefully decorated but, the simple things were missing (a working shower, heat and tea/coffee making facilities).

As previously mentioned, I did send an email (to the hotel manager) explaining my frustrations about a lot of things (some I haven't mentioned here) and, to his credit, he did respond and grant me an ex-gratia gesture by a way of apology.

I would be weary of returning, for reasons stated above. As my title states, it could be a LOT better, if the simple things were remedied and possibly review what the customer expects rather than what the company expects?

Date of stay: December 2020
1  Thank intercityboi
Thistle Express Swindon, General Manager at Thistle Express - Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2021

Hi,

We do have preventive maintenance programme in place to ensure guest do not have to face any maintenance issue, clearly during your stay it was not delivered.

I only hope you will provide us with another chance to show our hospitality again.

Reviewed 8 December 2020

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
I booked 4 nights at this dump, after checking online, reading the reviews and checking the location, I was sure I was to a good thing.....could not have been more wrong!!

1. Loud...I mean loud fans in the rooms, apparently all connected to a main extractor fan which is on constantly, so very hard to sleep! When I changed rooms the fan was quiet, only due to the fact it was broken.

2. Old broken showers, then to make matters worse when I requested to be fixed, a rude maintenance man let him self into our room, no mask, no social distancing at all, when I pointed this out to him, I was met with rudeness and told 'I should have known not to be in room'...which of course I did not. Plus shower still took around 10 mins to even warm up.

3.2nd night, extremely inconsiderate next room neighbours, started at 11pm, no problem,1am still louder and making very loud 'snorting' sounds...take that as you will. Loud music and shouting continued until around 7am.

After informing the hotel night staff 4 times, with no action taken, I resorted to sleeping with my headphones in.. not great! Roughly 3 hours broken sleep....just what the doctor ordered.

4. Not a major, but considering the above...ordered, 1, yes,1 pizza which took almost 90 mins to arrive.

Overall magnificently awful place...

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Thistle Express Swindon, General Manager at Thistle Express - Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2020

Hi,

All the points will be investigated and our team will be provided with the feedback. Where necessary we will re-train our team members.

Reviewed 29 October 2020

We stayed here many times but this was a horrible experience it’s close to the shops an handy for the outlet there car parking is expensive but the car is safe overnight. Any way 1” arrive booked in given key get luggage out car go up to the 7 th floor key doesn’t work son goes back down to reception given new key comes back up still doesn’t work goes down again I’m tired from journey just need to sit down as on crutches cleaner says is there’s problem yes key not working son arrives back no key still not working so off he goes again to reception I’m now getting fed up so cleaner says I will ring reception to ask permission to let me in with pass key permission given she then opens door an puts all my luggage in room an gave me extra pillows I asked for son comes back try’s keys again no still not working but we in room so I rested for about half hour freshen up we decided to go out for food told by reception it will be sorted when we return guess what two more attempts when got back for key to work ok 2.we then go in bathroom as could smell cigarette smoke in room this happened all night at various times we get up in morning go out for day on returning we go up to room again strong smell of smoke so I go to reception an report it they say had several complaints will try an find out as somewhere on the 4 th floor we were on 7 th still not happy but the smell seems to be going 3 on Sunday morning we are all woken at six o’clock by fire alarms going off we all out of our rooms thinking what do we do now I then phone reception an to be told ‘oh sorry someone burnt things in kitchen “ it’s ok now we all very angry as nobody came to tell people an children were on our floor so we packed early an left the hotel after getting our bag of breakfast I have reported it to head office 3times still no response so all I an say we will not buyer be aware !!!

Room tip: Not sure it’s close to shopping centre car parking is expensive
Date of stay: October 2020

Hi,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback and please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Please be rest assured this is not the norm.

We hope you will give us another chance to prove our hospitality.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2020

It is okay. Not great , not bad. The room I was given was not best, but other facilities were all okay. They offer free tea and coffee which is nice. There are not great views from the windows. But it is super close to city center.

Date of stay: January 2020
Thistleexpress, General Manager at Thistle Express - Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2020

Hi,
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback and hoping to see you soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2020

This hotel isn't going to set the World on fire. It feels a little worn and unloved but the rooms are ok, the wi-fi is free and works and there is a free hot and cold buffet breakfast included. In the way of evening food there is a menu with a choice of 2 pizzas at the extortionate price of £10 for a beer and tiny budget style frozen pizza -one to avoid. Location is good -very central in Swindon. The room was large enough with huge bed and clean however bathroom is incredibly small. There is desk space to work and TV in rooms. Annoyingly key cards kept stopping working leading to trips up and down stairs to reactive but otherwise no problems.

Date of stay: March 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Thistle E, Manager at Thistle Express - Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2020

Hello Paul.

Thank you for you review and feedback. We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Kind Regards,