“Ideal for pub grub”

Robert Raikes House
Ranked #11 of 65 Quick Bites in Gloucester
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A public house with 7 separate rooms and a wonderful courtyard beer garden, serving food throughout the day. Both the building and drinks are full of character and history, a must see!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had a spot of lunch before leaving Gloucester. Very quaint and historic building! Lots of unique internal rooms with comfortable chairs. Ideal if you want a bit of peace! We chose outside as weather was good. Lots of space. Meal was well priced and tasty. It was by chance we popped in, glad we did. Food came quickly too.

Date of visit: August 2021
Emiit and Melis... G, General Manager at Robert Raikes House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you so much for your review! Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit!

Write a reviewReviews (294)

Reviewed 10 August 2021

On Sunday 1st August I arrived with a friend, having enjoyed an evening meal here 2 years ago. We were disappointed to find food had stopped being served 15 minutes before. I clarified with a staff member that people "need to arrive before 4pm" to order food. Accordingly, I turned up well before 4pm with a friend on Tuesday 3rd August. We were looking at the outside menu at 2.50pm and went to the bar to order, only to be told that we had missed last food orders at 2.45pm. I explained this was a second try; what I was told before (apparently that time was only for Sundays) and asked why the sign outside had 15.00 as the time when food stopped. The staff member, who had empty rooms except for one customer by the bar that he was chatting with, was formally polite but indifferent. How wonderful if he had said, 'It isn't 15.00 yet; let me see whether there's anything you can still order'. Nearby is The New Inn. We arrived 20 mins before they stop serving food, but got a warm welcome and an excellent meal.

Date of visit: August 2021
Emiit and Melis... G, General Manager at Robert Raikes House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2021

Hi, thank you for your review. I’m so sorry for the miscommunication! Our kitchen times are different on the weekend compared to week days and it’s as standard that we don’t take orders after quarter to the kitchen closing to allow our staff to tidy and prep for the evening time or the next day. We will make this message clearer in the future!

Reviewed 29 July 2021

Excellent meals - steak and ale pie, mash and veg, and gammon steak, fried egg, chips and peas. Good value, piping hot and tasty.

Ambience was lovely - very friendly and helpful staff- very clean.

Would definitely visit again and recommend to others.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 18 June 2021 via mobile

We decided to eat here, we both had the liver & bacon with cauliflower & Julian carrots, wow, the lambs liver was cooked to perfection, the veg was nice as was the chips, the liver & bacon was served in a dish , the best thing was you were given a spoon for the gravy, the staff are friendly & helpful, I would highly recommend this place to eat. Thank you again, well done.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 18 October 2020

I would love to give this place 5 stars. The building is lovely, the fireplaces create a wonderful atmosphere, the service from the majority of the staff has been incredible. But I believe Sandra has cost you 2 stars. The hostile atmosphere from her bleeds through the walls, creeps through the floorboards and haunts each pint. She has attempted to double charge my friend and refused to compromise, arguing that she was "never wrong" and it wasn't until my friend vouched for him that the truth finally came to light. We haven't felt very welcome at the Robert Raike's. I don't know much about the past, but you need to think about your future

Date of visit: October 2020