“Underwhelming”

The Ivy Harrogate Brasserie
Ranked #90 of 335 Restaurants in Harrogate
Description: The Ivy Harrogate is open for breakfast, weekend brunch, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner and is the perfect setting to dine with friends and family, entertain clients or just simply relax. Guests are welcome to dine in our beautiful terrace garden, should the weather permit.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Spontaneously decided to stop for afternoon tea.
Restaurant was quiet at 3pm but, as we were not dining we were shown to a table in the bar area. It was given a cursory clean for us, albeit the chips on the floor around the table were ignored and we were left without menus to wait!
When service arrived, we explained we were looking for afternoon tea but were told as we hadn't pre-booked we could only order scones and tea. What arrived was very mediocre...small scones, tasteless, sugary jam, small amount of cream,
Whilst waiting I looked at my phone to view the restaurant's website- and really to see what we were missing!!.
I found we could book for afternoon tea with immediate availability???
On paying the billl, and perplexed by this, I discussed this with the waitress who insisted pre-booking was essential but couldnt really explain why . I asked to discuss this with the manager as wanted to understand the logic of turning away the business of a bigger spend when clearly the restaurant was quiet. The manager did arrive to take our payment but did not identify himself and showed no interest in talking to us about our query until challenged. He again insisted that pre-booking was essential so as to ensure enough availability of desserts.
Moral of the story, pre-book on your phone and then if like us there is plenty of on-line availability, then walk in!!!
However in our opinion, food, customer service and overall experience very underwhelming and unlikley to return.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were given a small table shoved in the corner. As soon the staff realised we were not going to pay a king's ransom they were considerably less attentive. We felt that the more expensive meals were thrust upon us. The portion size was tiny. I thought the meal was tasty but my mum had a grisly bit of fat in hers. The drinks were nice but they served a tiny amount of wine in a massive glass. We had hot chocolate that was delicious. There was also a 12.5% service charge that we weren't expecting to pay.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband, son and I visited Yorkshire for my birthday this year. My husband booked us in at the Ivy Harrogate for my special day and we had the best meal we have ever eaten! The service from the start was amazing, with our waiter being particularly good with our 3 year old son, keeping him entertained and taking an interest on what he was eating and playing which was lovely. My husband and I shared a bottle of house red which was superb and complimented the AMAZING food wonderfully. We ordered scallops which I was nervous about, having never eaten them before. I needn't have worried as they were melt in the mouth and were served with a delicious pea puree and fondant potatoes. The buffalo mozzarella was so creamy and went beautifully with the salsa verde - I wanted to lick the plate!!! We both had steaks which were cooked to perfection and desserts of creme brulee and chocolate bombe were unreal. We tasted the sauce which came with our boys pasta and even that was delicious!! I ended the meal with the best espresso martini I've ever had and was brought a lovely little complimentary profiterole with a candle and happy birthday chocolate. We spoke for the rest of the trip about our amazing meal! Could not recommend this wonderful restaurant more! A wonderful experience, thank you for making my birthday meal the most special!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As visitors meandering through Harrogate, one of our friends dashed into The Ivy and booked dinner to celebrate a wedding anniversary the next day.
The whole experience was quite special. The staff were very attentive and we were given a lovely table where we had a cosy corner but we’re still able to take in the ‘buzzing’ atmosphere. A special mention to the lovely lady on the door, Mark, the under manager and, of course, our polite and capable waitress.
Between us we really explored the menu - we all had 4 courses - and no one had anything but praise for the choices they made. Everything was beautifully prepared and presented.
We left replete and very merry - an anniversary celebration to remember!
Thank you for a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Despite the poor reviews we gave The Ivy a try for dinner. Things started well with the friendly and helpful waiter taking our orders. I chose a special from a menu in our table, game shepherds pie. The waiter returned a few minutes later to tell me that it was not available and I should not have been given that menu, his tone implied it was my fault for ordering a non existent item. He thoroughly recommended the Turbot, lovingly describing its preparation. I changed my order only for him to return later to say that this was now off the menu! He fetched his supervisor who apologised, took my third choice order and promised us complimentary desserts as a gesture.
The food arrived, soufflé followed by cod and our desserts. All delicious.
However our waiter, now less than friendly denied that both of our desserts were complimentary and I had to argue the toss before the bill arrived. He then made a sarcastic comment about how happy I must be!
When we booked I was asked if it was a celebration. I mentioned that it was my wife’s birthday. This was ignored.
Food was lovely but the farcical service made it a night to remember for all the wrong reasons.