“Exceptional in every way”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Molassy Cottage

Rear Garden
Garden
Kilkenny Castle
St. Canices Church & Round Tower
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
ElissaA93...
Medford, New Jersey
“Exceptional in every way”
Reviewed 10 April 2013 for a stay in April 2013
person found this review helpful

My parents, son and I recently had the privilege of staying at Molassy Cottage for a couple of days. The cottage has been outiftted by the owners with extreme care and thoughtfulness. No detail was overlooked- wood for the fire, games to play, books to read, extra bedding if needed, DVD's, a hairdryer, local information, and even the fixings for tea- bread, butter, jam, coffee, tea and milk- were ready for our arrival. We could not have felt more welcome. The location is great- near Kilkenny, Clonmel, Waterford and many other areas of interest. The exterior is very traditional, down to the thatched roof, but the interior has been updated and was immaculately kept. We really enjoyed cozying up with the two wood burning stoves in the evening and waking up to the sound of birds in the morning. Peaceful, serene, comfortable and super-clean!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The wood burning stoves
Travelling group: Extended Family
Stephen B
Dublin, Ireland
“Like a second home”
Reviewed 25 February 2013 for a stay in February 2013
person found this review helpful

I had a couple of days off work. Writing is a hobby of mine and I wanted to get some peace and quiet so that I could do a bit of writing and also relax completely away from all the stress of living in Dublin. I found Molassy Cottage on the internet. I looked at a few places but decided on this one because of the friendly and helpful email from the owner, Breda.

I arrived on the Sunday with the help of excellent directions from Breda and found bread, milk, tea and biscuits waiting for me. Breda was there to go through everything with me and the house was already nice and warm when I arrived. I spent the next few days in glorious peace and quiet, writing, relaxing and exploring Kilkenny town and some of the local area. My brother and a friend also joined me for the second part of the week and they also loved it. It is impossible to peace the joy of sitting by a wood stove, watching the fire and drinking a cup of tea. The cottage is very quiet and away from main roads but at the same time, you can easily drive to local shops and Kilkenny town is about a 15 - 20 minute drive away.

If you are looking for a peaceful break without being a million miles away from civilisation then I would really recommend this place. The cottage is gorgeous and cosy and Breda is wonderful and has put her heart into the place.

Ryan S
Rome, Italy
“Quiet and Cozy”
Reviewed 29 January 2013 for a stay in January 2013
people found this review helpful

I recently stayed at Molassy Cottage for a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. When my friend and I arrived at the cottage, Breda, the owner, came to welcome us and show us how everything in the house worked. She had already stocked the kitchen with bread, butter, eggs, tea, and cookies. She also brought us fire starters, firewood, and coals. The cottage has central heating, but we enjoyed using the stoves to heat the house instead.

The cottage dates back to the 19th century, yet is clean and comfortable. Inside, you'll find the modern amenities that we've come to expect. If you're traveling with children, the living room is stocked with videos to watch on the DVD player and the upstairs bedroom has several board games for a rainy day.

The location is perfect. It's very quiet; you don't have to worry about street noise or loud neighbors. But, the town of Callan is probably a 5 minute drive from the house and the cities of Kilkenny and Clonmel are both around 15-20 minutes away, so you have plenty of stores and restaurants within easy driving distance. The Rock of Cashel and the surrounding town are a little bit farther away, but definitely worth making the short drive to visit.

I enjoyed my stay at Molassy Cottage and would happily stay there again.

Liked best: Comfortable and quiet
px1000
Rome, Italy
“A hidden treasure”
Reviewed 28 January 2013 for a stay in January 2013
people found this review helpful

We stayed at Molassy Cottage for only a weekend, but when we left we wished it had been a week. I think that best sums up how we found the cottage - from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, it was a wonderful place to stay. The entire house was immaculate (at one point, I dropped a contact lens case and it rolled under the shelving in the bathroom - I pulled it out, and the case was still absolutely clean. Impressive!). The bathroom itself was quite large and well-appointed. The living room had a nice couch and some chairs which were very comfortable, and the TV and DVD player were great. The kitchen is well-equipped for cooking and eating at the cottage, or if you'd rather eat out it's possible to reach Callan in just a few minutes for something quick and easy, or Kilkenny in 20 minutes for a wide variety of restaurants. The "loft" bedroom is a bit small (the chimney goes up through the middle of it, which keeps the room quite warm, but it is a bit inconvenient to walk around), but at the end of the day that's a pretty insignificant issue. The main bedroom was quite spacious. Breda was most welcoming and very kind when we arrived, giving us the full tour and explaining the appliances and how to control the heating - finally, her directions to the cottage were perfect: make sure you follow them, as our GPS hadn't a clue where we were. We wouldn't hesitate to return to Molassy Cottage and enthusiastically recommend it - just stay longer than a weekend, because you won't want to leave!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The wood stoves!
Liked least: nothing
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Sin123_12
Dublin, Ireland
“A little hide away”
Reviewed 11 December 2012 for a stay in December 2012
person found this review helpful

What can I say our stay in Molassy Cottage was absolutly fantastic. It was like being in our own little world it was so peacefull and quiet there wasnt a sound around only the birds singing in the trees. The cottage was gourgous so charming and it had everything you needed. Yet its only a drive away from the hussle and bussle of the city if you want a night out and shopping. Breda was lovely very helpful and anything you needed she was only a phone call away. So if your looking for some peace and quiet i would defo recommend Molassy Cottage.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The whole style of the cottage was gourgous
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing