“Lovely Suite with Awesome views!”
other travellers have booked this property
Sitting Room Superb Sea and River Views Superb Sea and River Views
Bathroom
Triple Room
Triple Room
View from the sitting room window
View from the kitchen window
View of the Granary Suites, Holiday Apartments from Galway Bay
View of the Granary Suites Holiday Apartments from Galway Bay
View of the Granary Suites, Holiday Apartments from Galway Bay
Granary Suites Location
Walking Directions from the Train Station to the the Granary Suites
Driving Directions to the the Granary Suites
Granary Suites
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Robin B
West Des Moines
“Lovely Suite with Awesome views!”
Reviewed 21 June 2018 for a stay in May 2018

Granary Suites was perfectly located. Awesome views of Galway Bay and close distance to Shop Street and restaurants. The Suite was clean and quaint, and had everything we needed. Host was very helpful and easy to contact if we needed anything . Host surprised us with a nice bottle of wine, local cheese and fresh bread. Very thoughtful, after a long day of travel it made our day.

Lois2272
Issaquah, Washington
“Great location and views”
Reviewed 25 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018

Beautiful apartment with views of the river and bay. A wonderful alcove to sit in and watch people on the river walk. This apartment is just a few steps from fun and bustling central Galway, but is very quiet at night. (Perhaps because of the stone walls?)

Really nice cafes downstairs and across the street. Very little guesswork on where to eat. Irene put together a lovely binder of her favorite restaurants. All were great, but Il Vocolo (Italian for dinner, great food and atmosphere) and Ard Bia at Nimmos (brunch) stand out as exceptional.

Irene met us and showed us the apartment. She was especially helpful in explaining the Irish washer/dryer to us.

The apartment is very clean. There are quite a few stairs, so this is not for anyone with mobility problems.

The two bedrooms are downstairs, but light because of the windows. The kitchen and dining area upstairs has an open plan and is the center of the apartment. The kitchen is well-equipped. The bedrooms comfortable and quiet.

JNC_York
York, SC USA
“Beautiful view of the river looking onto Galway Bay”
Reviewed 9 May 2018 for a stay in April 2018

Just across the River Corrib from Jury's Inn, the location was perfect. I don't believe a location could be any more convenient to all of the activities in Galway.
The suite was located in a renovated grain mill with the entry to the apartment up two easy flights of stairs. The bottom floor of the apartment had two bedrooms while the upstairs had the living area, kitchen and bath. It appeared to be a recently refurbished apartment, well-lit with views overlooking the river and out onto Galway Bay.

The owner Irene met me at the apartment and was a friendly, genuine person. Living close by, she was very knowledgeable about the local area and activities going on for the week. She had bought local cheese and crackers for me as well as a bottle of wine and left them at the apartment as a welcome gesture.

On my last day I planned on moving to a hotel but since the apartment wasn't rented, she offered to let me stay on. It was such a thoughtful gesture that made my trip so much easier. It's these sorts of kind acts from strangers that keep me coming back to Galway, year after year. Thanks again Irene.

Johnny C
Toronto, Canada
“Great views”
Reviewed 25 February 2018 for a stay in January 2018

I contacted Irene by email. A price was agreed for the 16th of January to the 11th February. We were led to The Galway Suit by Irene who carried one of our overweight suitcases {Shock 1, no elevator}. Nearly four flights of stairs, about 30 stairs and this only to the bedroom area. Another 14 creaky steps to the living/dining/bathroom area. {Shock 2} Anytime we needed the bathroom during the night we had to climb a very narrow staircase with 14 creaky steps. It never occurred to us when booking nor is it on their site,
{Shock 3} Utensils were a very old mishmash collection and most unwashed,we used and kept aside only what we needed and could use. Never could figure out the microwave, first toaster did not work.Doors on drawers were ready to fall off. The “oven” never got hot enough nor did the grill and any marking to indicate how to use it was erased {over time} as was the “hob” ancient, with 4 rings and 4 knobs/controls on which the heat level numbering had long vanished. Week one we reported the bathroom sink faucet trickled water. A plumber was called and as of leaving almost a month later, it still was NOT fixed. My wife and I ferried hot water from the kitchen to the bathroom sink with a small bowl. So much for eating in and we so looked forward to this aspect.
Although the views were spectacular this is not in itself good enough.With no elevator and having to climb about 41 stair steps to get to sit down is daunting. Anyone regardless of age with any kind of disability however minor should give this place a miss. THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
3 Mar 2018
I must say, I feel slightly confused by your review. I felt that we had a very friendly month together. A month of many, many lengthy conversations about all manner and aspects. Except, it seems, the things that troubled you during your stay. I am particularly perplexed as your wife mentioned, on countless occasions, that you would both be back to stay in the future and that you were having a wonderful time. I am terribly sorry to discover now that this was not the case.

Firstly, I must address what I feel is your main issue, the stairs. It should be said at the outset, that it does clearly state on our website, as well as all our other booking platforms, that our apartments are duplexes (thereby having an internal staircase, which is photographed) and that the apartments are located on the second floor, as a result the climbing of two flights of stairs is necessary. It also specifies that, it being an old grain mill, it has no elevator. We do also declare the apartments unsuitable for anyone with a physical disability.

Your wife only spoke with me of your disability on your third day, I told her that I understood if you wanted to cancel your stay and that I could accommodate that, but she assured me that you could manage.

When you did, towards the end of your stay, ask to leave a few days early so as to stay with friends in Dublin, I refunded your money without question. I offered to drive you both to the train station with your bags at which point I learned you had actually booked into a hotel in galway. Why the deception I do not know. I drove you both to your new hotel and then did the trip a second time as you had forgotten one of your bags. Your wife then said again to me that you would both be back to stay at the Granary Suites in the future, and followed this with a text saying the same along with a pink heart and a smiley face. On reflection of your above complaints this is incomprehensible to me.

I do apologise for the plumbing issue, the bathrooms had recently been completely renovated and redecorated and the plumbers had put in a tap which was unsuitable to the water pressure of the apartment. When you spoke to me of it, I organised a plumber immediately. When the plumber arrived I brought him to your apartment. I paid the plumber later and therefore presumed he had fixed the problem. In all of our conversations, of which, again, I say there were many, you never mentioned to me that the issue was still ongoing, had I known this I would have had it fixed immediately.

Regarding the kitchen, it is fully stocked with all that is required by our guests that stay from three nights to as long as four months, as was the case last year. Just this Christmas we had a young family who cooked a full Christmas dinner without difficulty.

If a guest, on the rare occasion, leaves their dirty dishes or utensils, we wash them. However, if the guest doesn’t adequately clean them after use and places them away, it is hard for us to know this. There is a note asking guests to be considerate of the next guest arriving regarding both the dishes and the baby chair. I do apologise that this was the case.

I am sorry about the indicators on the oven and hob, these were wiped off when I used a cleaning agent. There is both a picture of them and a manual in the bottom drawer along with the microwave manual which you seemed to have overlooked.

I do apologise again for the broken toaster, however we did supply you with a new one within a half hour.

As property owners, it is always important that we are aware of any issues our guests encounter so that we can address them. This ensures that, not only the current guest will be more comfortable, but also that the next guests’ experience will be better.

Finally, it should be said, that as a guest it is incumbent on you to find accommodation suitable to your own specific needs, as only you are aware of them. Perhaps to save you any future difficulties, read the details provided for the apartment and look at the photographs and do let your host know what troubles you about the apartment so that they can make your stay a pleasant one.
mmmccoy
Auckland Central, New Zealand
“A lovely place to stay to enjoy the delights of Galway”
Reviewed 27 January 2018 for a stay in December 2017

Irene and Ger were wonderful, helpful hosts. I stayed at the Granary Suites last year and was so impressed by the location and friendly welcome that I booked again for this year. The sound of the river coursing by and the views from the apartment are beautiful and memorable. The apartment is very comfortable and spacious, a home away from home. Lower Dominick Street is a colourful and friendly environment. Steeped in history, the Granary Suites are an outstanding example of accommodation in Galway that captures the unique character and spirit of a lively, open and friendly community.

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing