“We had the time of our lives!”
Review of The Green Hen

The Green Hen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Green Hen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #300 of 2,772 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$24 - US$54
Cuisines: French, Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
Description: Busy City Centre Bistro offering all day dining from 12 noon Fully Licensed, great cocktails and extensive wine list Private dining for groups of up to 30 available
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

On a stroll back from Temple bar area to the hotel we were looking for somewhere to eat and spotted this place as we passed. We went in and greeted with a very happy and warm welcome inside. Bearing in mind it was Baltic outside with snow on the ground and a strong wind.
We were showed to a table and had some delicious food. I might have had one or so too many but the atmosphere in the place was great.
I couldn’t possible pick out one member of staff as they were all superb including the chef.
We had such a good time we went back the next night (Sunday) for some drinks and tapas. All the staff were there including the ones that were not working. We were made to feel very welcome with all the staff including the ones on our side of the bar.
If you are in Dublin then you have to go to this absolute gem of a place. I will be going back the next time I am there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have been to The Green Hen many times over the years and it never fails to impress. Great location, perfect food and friendly staff. Nice atmosphere and very relaxing. Have had both date nights and business experiences and on all occasions everything was great. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The 4 stars really don’t reflect the food—as I’ve never had the pleasure—so I gave what seems to be the consensus. I attempted to have lunch there once but as I was about to take a stool by the bar, I was told by the bartender (in a not-too-friendly tone) not to sit there because I would have been sitting beside 2 guys who were ‘having a meal’(!!!). So, naturally, I high-tailed it.... I am a 70 yr old expat who has been to some very fine restaurants on the Continent and in the USA and have never come across such a bizarre and inane reception. Such a pity because the owner has obviously done a great job (otherwise).

1  Thank Frank S
PAUL R, The Green Hen Team at The Green Hen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Frank

I'm sorry to see that you viewed it that way, that was not my intention. All the other seats at the bar were available and I did not want you to intrude on the guests already dining, so I was just trying to guide you to another seat. We take dining reservations at the bar and also accommodate guests just looking for a drink, so we do our best to manage the seating plan as effectively as possible. I hope this goes some way to explain what happened.
Regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Excellent food and all at a very reasonable price. Nice relaxed and friendly atmosphere and a great place to meet up with friends

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Have walked past this place a thousand times. Having failed to get a table at another place, decided to take a chance on this place without checking any reviews.
Worked out well for us. Food was great, atmosphere was good - quiet cosy French restaurant.