“Finally got to visit :)”

Brother Hubbard North
Ranked #179 of 2,773 Restaurants in Dublin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our aim is to serve simple, fresh food and drinks that are made with a lot of love and effort so that they can be something that we can be proud of, something you can enjoy.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A few weeks ago I finally got to try the much talked about Brother Hubbard.
Very nice staff that make you feel at ease when you walk in, a casual friendly approach to service that I wasn't used to but added a great touch to the place and makes it unique,very obvious that the staff liked to work there.

I loved the menu, everything seemed very creative colourful and healthy, also has lots of sides.

I went for a veggie sourdough and was delicious, very fresh and tasty. The crockery is very appealing also. Afterwards I got a cappuccino and a chocolate hazelnut pastry, (unfortunately the cinnamon scroll was sold out)

I also got a look at the cookbook which is available for the customers to read, that was really cool and you get to know the history and ethos around the place.

I would 100% return and this time with a friend, and I will have to try the halloumi. If you're the sort of person who is interested in rich nutritious food and culture then this is the place for you :)

brotherhubbardnorth, Manager at Brother Hubbard North, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Katie,

Thank you so much for your lovely review we are delighted you finally got to visit us and hope you will be back soon to try the halloumi!

I will make sure and pass this on to all our staff. They are all super passionate about what they do and its lovely for them to get the recognition.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The service was slow and the food was nice but the tangible lack of respect I was shown ruined my experience and I will not be back. I went with my parents and my sister for brunch and soon after our food came, both pieces of my sister’s avocado egg toast slipped off her plate and she was cutting it. One landed on the floor and the other flat on the table. Our server came back to the table and asked if my sister wanted “another plate”. Thinking she meant the meal would be replaced, she replied “yes please” and the server returned with an empty plate suggesting that we salvage the one piece of toast on the table by sweeping it from the table onto the plate she had produced! My sister was dumbfounded and when she didn’t respond the server said “Are you going to have enough to eat?”, pointing to the one piece of toast that was on the table. My sister then asked the server to replace the meal, which she did. In my experience, replacing the meal immediately free of charge after an accident is common practice. Upon leaving, after paying we noticed that we had been charged twice for my sisters meal and when we questioned it we were told it was “policy” and that even if one of the waiters had dropped it, they would’ve had to pay for it!
After a bit of discussion, the manager got involved and gave back half of the price of the meal that fell on the floor (around 5 euro) and was not at all understanding or sympathetic.
In my opinion, the financial loss and principle involved in paying twice for something that was consumed once is far greater for the customer than the loss the restaurant would have suffered if they had simply shown some goodwill and replaced it free of charge. I will not be back to this miserable place and I would advise anyone who values customer service to do the San me. Complete lack of respect for their customers, their own staff and simply the worst customer service in Dublin.

brotherhubbardnorth, Manager at Brother Hubbard North, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for visiting us. We are very sorry that you felt disappointed by your experience with us.

However, please note that we are not in a position to simply provide “free food” to people where they spoil their food (and which is in no way our fault, as was the case). When something like this happens, we are happy to replace the dish but we do charge 50% of the price.

Our food costs a lot to produce. That dish in particular involves a generous amount of high quality ingredients. We’ve to pay our suppliers to provide those ingredients. Furthermore, we pay our chefs to produce this food. And we’ve to pay our staff to serve the food.

Hence, we are not in a position to simply replace items free of charge when a customer spoils their dish. We charge 50%, which does not itself fully cover the cost of producing and providing that dish, as a very positive gesture.

We would prefer that something like this doesn’t happen of course as no doubt you would.

And we feel that we’ve a very positive policy in place to address this. Though this kind of matter arises very rarely, we’ve never had any issue from any customer as regards this. In fact, at times when this has happened in the past, customers have tried to insist on paying full price - which is what does happen in a lot of places.

We’ve a business to run, suppliers to pay, staff to pay and look after as well as multitude of other responsibilities and costs as a business. And, as a result, given the nature of a business being a business, we are unable to provide free food and are confident that this policy is appropriate and gives fair and due consideration to the customer and, furthermore, actually leans in their favour. You will find that this is common in so many restaurants, pubs, etc and would absolutely be the case in any shop or other business - it simply would not be reasonable to expect (or economic for a business to provide) a free replacement where a customer, for example, breaks a product they’ve just bought (be it a laptop, a vase or any product really) or drops a bottle of wine they’ve just bought - we are quite unsure why the situation should be different in this context.

We are sorry if you felt this was inadequate but we would hope that the above rationale makes sense and explains the reasonableness of our position and that of any business in this situation. Again, thank you for visiting us - we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry this happened - but we are confident that our position is fair, reasonable and we are also confident that we provide a very high standard of service for our customers.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Three of us enjoyed a wonderful healthy wholesome breakfast. Lots of yummy smashed avo and fresh tasty green.

Hi Marion,

Thanks so much for your lovely response we really appreciate it, the avo is always a favourite!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

So fresh. The Avocado and eggs and avo and pepper were so big. So much avo. Bircher muesli. All so fresh and good coffee. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place had good food but no free WiFi. Will not divide the bill between two couples so just pay with cash. I was happy about the gluten free bread so that was a good trader off. I would come back again although the staff seemed unfriendly and rushed.

brotherhubbardnorth, Owner at Brother Hubbard North, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi and thanks for visiting!

We don’t have Wifi currently we are afraid - this we feel is a good thing!! We are very much a cafe, a meeting place, a convivial environment. There are lots of other venues that have wifi and which people tend to treat as remote offices. This is not what we want for our atmosphere and we have gotten a lot of praise for this policy - because we do it for the right reasons which we hope you understand. We feel choose us for other reasons and a big part of that is the atmosphere - wifi and the sea of laptops it would attract would change this dramatically (and to the detriment of the atmosphere).
We are actually happy to split bills - we just request that people calculate the split themselves as otherwise we end up with a large queue at the till which causes problems for everyone. You will actually find that this policy is not uncommon in cafes and restaurants.
We are so well known for being a really friendly cafe - we are sorry if you felt that that was not the case but it is very much at odds with the typical experience of so, so many of our customers. We hope we might welcome you back again!