“Highland hospitality”

The Clachnaharry Inn
Ranked #81 of 275 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: THE CLACHNAHARRY INN a great 'craic' pub with emphasis on being friendly. The 'Clach' is an institution in the local area & serves 4 cask ales alongside other draught beers, lagers and ciders. It’s an old informal pub that delivers highland hospitality & great food. What's better is that we love what we do! We are also a dog friendly pub & dogs are welcome in our bar & beer garden while our restaurant is dog free. The dugs even have their own biscuit barrel and water bowls. A Take-Away Menu is available 7 days a week, Simply pop in & have a drink while you wait for your freshly cooked meal, or phone in advance & pick it up on your way past. Awarded Inverness area Pub of the Year in 2017 & now Runner up Pub of the Year Highlands and Islands 2018 by CAMRA accolades we are proud of. The owners took over in Dec 2017 & are striving to provide what customers want. Subtle decor in the restaurant adds to the dining experience & the bar has added many fine Malts. BT & Sky to enjoy, Come on in.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The ‘Clach’ is an unpretentious traditional Highland inn which we had not visited before. Although it was the chef’s day off (Monday) Jimmy the proprietor asked him to come in and cater for us.Our group of eleven enjoyed a prebooked meal after a Loch Ness cruise and with healthy appetites. We received a warm welcome and were ushered in to the fairly small restaurant at the rear where we we were served by the most delightful and friendly staff. The meal was excellent with generous portions at very reasonable prices. The whole experience was splendid and rounded off a perfect day.
Thank you Jimmy and staff.
George Macleod

Date of visit: August 2021
Jim G, Owner at The Clachnaharry Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hello George, Glad you enjoyed your visit. I'm sorry I missed you leaving personally as the dug wanted out for a bit. But one or two if your family thanked us as they left. Cheers and all the best.

Write a reviewReviews (111)

Reviewed 7 August 2021

Booked a table for 4 plus dog and everything went well with the meal, the Haddock & Chips were superb, the dog we had with us that was made very welcome and when we went out to the seated area there was a drink station in place for the dog, great. The only down side was one of the staff was a bit nippy with us all, but we all have bad days, we will be back as the food was great and hope she has her happy face on when we return.

Cheers Grumf, Thanks for the review. I'll pass comments to staff. Cheers

Reviewed 5 August 2021

Just returned from trying to have lunch in the Clachnaharry Inn - a place I have frequented regularly over many years and through a succession of owners. We were greeted at the bar to be told that the lunch menu was not available, only the main menu, but that was quickly overruled by another member of staff (maybe the manager/owner?) and asked where we would like to sit. Out of the three options we went for the lounge, which was in darkness apart from light coming in the window, and were presented with crumpled paper menus.

The waitress was friendly, asked what we would like to drink, and left us to look at the menus. She came back soon after to say that there was no ginger beer and after some deliberation another choice was made. On her return we ordered baked potatoes with different fillings from a limited menu mainly featuring sandwiches/toasties/rolls. Shortly after she returned again with the news that there were no baked potatoes, she apologised once more, and at that point we decided that we would not eat after all. Food service is only Wednesday to Sunday so it seems strange that they would be short of stock at 1pm on the first day when the place was not busy.

We went to the bar to pay for the drinks left sitting on the table (which we would not have ordered if not eating lunch) and I suggested to the waitress “it might be a good idea for you to find out what’s going on when you come on shift”. But before I had the chance to complete the sentence the manager/owner said that I was being very rude and attacking a young girl. My wife interjected to say that was not the case, I was trying to make a constructive comment, and rather than escalate the situation any further I pointed out to the manager/owner that maybe staff should get an update when coming on duty of any relevant issues.

Having just gone through a pandemic I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect shared menus to be laminated, or placed in a poly-pocket, so they can be easily cleaned. Both the lunch and main menus are quite limited so if there are items unavailable then customers need to be told at the outset (and if you have any food allergies or preferences then I wouldn’t bother). I have enjoyed some good times here with friends and family in the past, even over festive periods, but this will be my last visit under the current ownership.

Date of visit: August 2021
Jim G, Owner at The Clachnaharry Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2021

Well Sir, you and your wife really do have a bee in your bonnets about Wednesday. Are you feeling a tad guilty after you were aggresive to the young waitress and so blame the pub. This was reported to me by other staff and the waitress on my return as I was not present and therefore could not have interjected and so it was another female member of staff who asked you not to be so rude to the young waitress. Peoples frustrations with covid restrictions must causing some to be more aggresive to staff. As for shortages, they are happening especially because of covid and brexit and we cant get deliveries some days due to lack of drivers in companies. Menus are short and not laminated as this is an instruction from Government at start of re opening from lockdown last July, no one else has complained. I do thank you for the 3 stars as your wife only gave one on another forum as she had her rant at 7am yesterday. The pandemuc is still ongoing and we still have to operate under restrictions and being told no deliveries again today.. Enjoy the rest of your week sir.

Reviewed 5 June 2021

If you’re exempt from wearing a mask, you will be completely discriminated against, by the owner, (who was squeezed in with lots of his customers, none of whom were wearing masks, everyone huddled together in a tiny bar). He will ASK you “what disability do you have?” in front of a packed bar. If you want to make an Indirect Discrimination claim, this is the bar to to to! I don’t think they understand the Equality Act at all. Lucky I have thick skin - many of you won’t. Good luck.

Date of visit: June 2021
13  Thank G7145BSdieselcar
Jim G, Owner at The Clachnaharry Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2021

Hello There Madam, I remember you well or at least my EARS do. I see by your Tripadvisor handle that you are one of the worlds diesel polluters!!! As far as the mask issue is concerned can I ask what you do in a Supermarket. In Scotland it is Mandatory to wear a mask in a supermarket and in a hospitality premises until you are seated, Hence the reason myself and my customers were not wearing our masks, I trust you noticed we were all seated as you ranted on and on about non compliance with the LAW and spraying your aerosol effect everywhere.
I do not discriminate against anyone. Many people come into my premises who are exempt and who show myself and staff exemption cards or their inhaler. After you ranted about non compliance of the rules for at least 6 minutes then you decided to play the 'exemption card' That is why I asked what your exemption was as you certainly did not have one going by your demeaner and behaviour. I have waited on your negative review arriving on this forum as soon as you left our premises as you certainly were not going to let me off with complying with the LAW in this country. Just note you only had to wear the mask (which we would have supplied free) for two minutes until you were seated. But you carry on spreading COVID everywhere you go my dear that seems to be the mission you are on. And Good luck to you to.

Reviewed 31 May 2021

Came in last night at 4:45pm and managed to get a table for food which was super...the staff you have behind the bar and serving are so friendly couldn’t have been more helpful we had a lovely meal we will deffo be returning! 5 stars

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank Nicola M
Jim G, Owner at The Clachnaharry Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2021

Thanks Nicola, I make sure I tell the staff of your kind comments. Haste ye back.