See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 September 2016

For the third time in a dozen years, we recently returned to Ardmor House where the big smiles and hugs from owner and host Robin told us that we had really come home. We have traveled the world staying at gay-friendly B&Bs, but no where have we felt more welcomed than at Ardmor House.

Everything about our experience there has always been first-class, homey, and comfortable. The location is on a quiet residential street but extremely convenient to the Fringe Festival by either a bus stop right out the door or by an enjoyable half-hour walk up Leith Walk. Restaurants and gay bars are within a ten-minute walk. The rooms themselves are large, beautifully decorated in furniture that so fits into the charm and beauty of the overall house.

And then there is the breakfast! We stayed this time ten nights at Ardmor, and we never tired of the delicious options Robin cooked up for us each morning. The menu includes a full Scottish breakfast, smoked salmon & scrambled eggs, a potato pancake, and other wonderful items. And/Or, breakfast can begin with choices of cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruits (whole or cut-up), breads of all types, and a freshly-baked goody like homemade muffins. And my favorite: The homemade jams!

What is fun during the Fringe is the morning conversations among the 4 sets of guests and with Robin himself. Each morning, all of us shared highlights of the past day's theatre visits and got hints of where to go next. Robin himself usually joins in, offering further ideas and jotting down shows he wants to catch in his few hours off each day.

74 Pilig Street holds a special place in my and my husband's hearts; co-owner (with his partner Barry) and host Robin is the main reason why.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

A wonderfully warm welcome from Robin set the tone for 4 comfortable nights, and good sleep, in this perfectly located B&B. Lots of personal touches - delicious breakfasts, freshly prepared, good choices of healthy options, many home-made and tasty; and perfect coffee.
Tea and coffee in the bedrooms, fresh milk available, Scottish fudge on the pillow, and all kept clean. Our rear room was wonderfully quiet and we slept well.
Robin was very knowledgeable about restaurants, bus routes, etc, Although we were able to walk to Princes Street in 15-20 minutes one way, and to Leith Waterfront the other, we also found the buses worked well.
We would recommend.

Room Tip: Rear room was very quiet; pleasant views over gardens at back
Reviewed 25 August 2016

Had a great 4 day stay at Ardmor House. Robin was a fantastic host for my first B&B experience, and a great entree into the lifestyle. I was afraid it'd be an intrusive experience, but he was available, helpful, kind, funny, knowledgeable all without being all up in my business. Small house (only 5 rooms), clean and comfy beds. I was a last minute addition to the trip and my husband had been booked into Room 5 during the sold out August month, so it was a bit cramped, but completely my fault! Robin made sure we were comfortable and certainly told us up front (before arrival) that it was really a room made for one. Location was fantastic, with easily available free on-street parking, and a bus to downtown right outside. Easy walk to the Leith waterfront and restaurants on Leith Walk. Breakfast was simple and delicious, with a variety of options including vegetarian offerings, which is always good in my book!

Reviewed 11 August 2016

I stayed here for three nights at the beginning of the festival. The welcome was warm; my room was cosy, clean and well set out, with a good selection of complimentary nibbles and toiletries. Breakfast was excellent - really well cooked and a very good choice, with many home made items. The home made preserves and home baked croissants were particularly impressive. Overall, the room and breakfast provided very good value for money. The gorgeous Vera made a couple of guest appearances during my stay!

The house is a ten to fifteen minute walk from the end of Princes Street and is situated a few metres from a bus stop. I was really happy that I stayed there and hope to do so again for my next visit to this beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

Awfull...prebooked a room at a set price. With a week to go he (robin jack) changed the price to accomadate a 'festival price'. Became well out of my price range after that. He WAS informed of this. And it was explained to him. After contacting the company i used to book the room and explaining what he had done...they cancelled my card and gave me a balance of £0.00 to pay. He then sent me a vile email full of a torade or abuse. I ended up threatening him with police action if he contacted me again. Plese take the time to fully read his email to me. I have attached it to this review. Please be carefu with this man!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melphillips83
VLBJ, Owner at Ardmor House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2016

We constantly strive to make sure that our guests have a wonderful experience with us from booking and help with organising their trip, right through to having a great stay. The many kind and honest reviews on this site are, we hope, testament to this and we strive to achieve this constantly.
In this case however, in all our 17 years of welcoming guests we have never been faced with an individual such as this and as such we feel this review worthy of response.
Customer booked a room with us 6 months before arrival through a third party booking agent- Expedia- was clearly notified at time of booking of pricing and cancellation policy. 5 days before arrival and now within stated cancellation period, customer queried the price- we resent original confirmation details- price was never changed or altered in any way- as many will be aware this would be impossible as the booking was made through Expedia so was fixed at time of booking- it's also something we would never dream of doing. Customer did not cancel their booking but on day of arrival did not show- as such we tried to charge the appropriate cancellation fee and found that they had cancelled their card. Expedia have also directly asked for payment to be made but this has been ignored also. When challenged by us, instead of admitting culpability and fraudulent behaviour, they have since tried to besmirch our name on review sites such as this. Moreover we have subsequently discovered that we are not the only bed and breakfast that these individuals had booked for the same dates in Edinburgh and then cancelled at short notice.
Sadly behaviour such as this only goes to drive the whole accommodation industry towards a 'pay on booking/non-cancellable' system and for small business owners such as us these experiences can be extremely damaging.
We do however look forward to welcoming many honest guests in the future and would ask you to read some of the valid reviews of those who have actually stayed with us!