Open today: 10:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Review Highlights
Friendly and Helpul

The staff was very friendly and quite helpful in our whisky tasting experience. I especially... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
STJHOC
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Great Helpful Staff

Wonderful staff that will help you choose a nice drink to bring home to even though you maybe a... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

from US$16.90
from US$764.70
from US$59.60
More Info
All reviews whisky shop cask strength single malt scotch royal mile excellent whiskey cl bottle love whisky whisky lovers whisky experience casks bottling distilleries campbeltown springbank islay knowledge retailers
Reviewed 31 July 2018

My wife, my cousin and I scheduled one of their tasting seminars for the first night we were in Scotland. There were five other people, ranging from virtually no experience tasting Scotch whiskey to my cousin and I, who I would consider to be "intermediate" tasters. Our presenter, Louis, gave an excellent introduction to each whiskey, and was absolutely unpretentious throughout the whole process. We were given six samples: a blended scotch, a single grain (used as the basis for most blended scotches), and examples from the Speyside, Highland, Islay and Campbeltown regions. All were unfiltered and cask strength, and were bottled by Cadenhead's themselves (they are considered an independent bottler, purchasing casks directly from distilleries). The Campbeltown sample was excellent, and was especially interesting, as I don't think I've ever tasted anything from there. Our subsequent visits to three distilleries (The Macallan, Glenfiddich, and Talisker) and tastings of numerous drams in pubs were greatly enhanced by what we learned during this session. I can not recommend it more highly for those who want to get the most out of their distillery tours and tastings.

5  Thank Zaphod
Reviewed 14 July 2018

I went in here with a list of 3 likes and dislikes from other scotches looking to buy two bottles for my fiance. The man working helped me and told me the story of each bottle and made his recommendations, which he allowed me to taste as well. I followed his suggestions and my fiance loved both bottles I purchased. Success!

Reviewed 6 July 2018

Fantastic experience with knowledgable and help associates. A whisky tasting was had and enjoyed by my husband. He would definitely go back and do it again!

1  Thank Elksmommy
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We will definitely visit Cadenheads when we return to Edinburgh, as they have a fair number of Cadenhead cask strength whiskies as well as quite a number of distillery bottlings , including some rare ones.

When we entered the shop, we were made welcome by a pleasant young man (Josh), who proved to be quite knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Whisky, which really made our visit worthwhile. We received good advice and were able to try a few drams as a result of our discussions.

The Islay vatted malt comes from a cask in the shop, whose contents are refilled each week, not always with the same proportions of the malts in the blend, which makes each weeks bottling quite unique. We must say that this weeks Islay blended malt is one of the best we have yet tasted.

When you visit this shop, do take enough time to talk with the staff and take their recommendations on whiskies to try.

2  Thank Frank T
Reviewed 21 June 2018

First, the staff is as knowledgeable as any whisky shop in Scotland or the distilleries. And definitely more knowledgeable than most.
Second, the staff is approachable, warm, and helpful. I simply relayed my normal whisky selections and palate preferences and we were off to the races! They ENCOURAGE tasting, unlike others who reluctantly dole it out (and usually at a fee). There is no pressure or guilt to buy (unlike the other shops).
Third, they bottle their own from brand name distilleries, so you can afford 20, 25, 30 and beyond year old bottles at a fraction of the price!
All in all, I will always shop here from now on when I'm in Edinburgh and I encourage you to do the same.
(Plus they've been in business 175 years, there must be a reason!)

4  Thank Erik C