“Not for me sorry ”
Review of Dishoom Edinburgh

Dishoom Edinburgh
Ranked #136 of 2,654 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: The original Bombay cafes have almost all disappeared. Their faded elegance welcomed all: rich businessmen, sweaty taxi-wallas and courting couples. Fans turned slowly. Bentwood chairs were reflected in stained mirrors, next to sepia family portraits. Students had breakfast. Families dined. Lawyers read briefs. Writers found their characters. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost four hundred cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Now, fewer than thirty remain. Their loss is much mourned by Bombayites.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Husband wanted to try this restaurant so visited at lunch time
Very busy and very loud with over enthusiastic irritating waiters
Menu a bit confusing
Food ok but the lamb kebabs a bit chewy
We both didn't think this place was relaxing and I don't know if we would give it another chance as there's other restaurants far better and not as expensive

2  Thank xtina2015
Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Massively overpriced. A lamb biryani with almost no lamb, a black dal and a pint cost £27. Ridiculous. Go for a proper curry.

1  Thank MJP1971
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I visited the restaurant during our weekend in Edinburgh. Our first visit was Friday evening. The food, drinks, service and everything about the experience was absolutely amazing. We loved it.

Towards the end of our meal, my pregnant wife ordered a non alcoholic cocktail. When it arrived she took a tip and thought it tasted funny. I tried it and confirmed it had alcohol in, despite it having two straws in to signify it was non alcoholic.

The drink was returned and replaced and the service we received was amazing. We had no problem whatsoever and understood that a bar is a busy place mistakes happen.

When we reviewed our bill, our waitress, who was lovely all night, told us that she had given us our drinks and desserts for free by way of an apology for the drink. We didn't expect this at all and it was a lovely gesture.

Our second visit was on Sunday for lunch. We ended up with the same waitress and she recognised us. Again, our meal, drinks and service was out of this world. We haven't stopped talking about the food since!

Again, when we received our bill, the waitess (and I believe the Manager) told us they had given us a discount for our previous drinks issue. We definitely didn't expect this to happen again. What a genuinely nice gesture.

This place is incredible. The food is out of this world and the service you receive goes above and beyond. I would highly recommend this place to all visiting Edinburgh - easily the best Indian food in the city.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had a meal at Dishoom and ordered small dishes ,medium dishes and sauces ,rice and naans. The food arrives when it is ready and in no particular order which is slightly different from the normal Indian Restaurant. The Chile cheese toast tasted fine perhaps a lack of heat, the prawns were equally nice with the sauce being hot. The mains were chicken biryani and vegetable call,.. the roti machine was not working so had a garlic nan instead. Overall a cafe style real Indian ! Worth a visit

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I really wanted to love my visit to Dishoom but unfortunately I found the food very average.
I think it's a case of style over substance here and when you strip back the clever marketing and decor the food is decidedly average. Although I'm not a regular visitor to Edinburgh, there are certainly many, many better small independent Indian restaurants in Glasgow. I imagine the same us true for Edinburgh.

We found the service friendly and efficient. The portions small and expensive. The additional service charge disappointing.

My husband says I'm easily disappointed by restaurants and he is correct. I'm a food lover and have high standards when it comes to the food. All in all I wouldn't recommend it. My husband would agree.