“A disappointing Afternoon Tea”

The D'Arcy Thompson
Ranked #35 of 418 Restaurants in Dundee
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2018

D'Arcy Thompson sounds rather fancy. However the Afternoon Tea was a huge let down. Nothing was home made. All the cakes were store bought. Far too perfect looking to be home made. The coffee was actually very good! The servers were very friendly and polite. I could not fault the service. The male server had informed us that a milkshake came with our Afternoon Tea voucher, however we did not require it and my friend wanted to take it for her daughter. We were then told it would be left in the refrigerator, ready for when we were to leave. We later found out it was a Yazoo (supermarket brand) milkshake due to the machine being broken. That was quite funny actually. So naturally, we declined.

So, thank you to our servers. Great coffee. Friendly service. Crappy cakes.

Stewart F, Manager at The D'Arcy Thompson, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Hi there,

First of all let me apologise for the experience you had in our establishment, the food you received was not up to our standard at all!

After speaking to staff and chefs on shift that day I have realised you caught us on a very bad day for our deliveries, of course this is no excuse and I hope we can make it up to you in future!

If you could be so kind to give me an email with your number at info@thedarcythompson.co.uk I will give you a call to discuss this issue further!

Thank you for your review and we hope to speak to you soon.

Team Darcy's

Reviewed 28 April 2018

We had not been for a while and were looking forward to a nice meal.
We were greeted by the staff and shown to our table. We ordered a bottle of Merlot and a bottle of water was delivered to our table.
From a simple menu we both chose Arbroath Smokie Pate to start, I then had special burger and my wife had scampi and chips. The food was well presented on hot plates and was very tasty, it was nice to be served real chips as well :)
We decided to go for a dessert I had mascarpone cheesecake and my wife chose coffee and cake of the day both which were excellent value and yummy.
Very reasonable prices as well.
The meal, service and friendliness of the staff made this a very enjoyable experience, we look forward to returning in the near future.

1  Thank JoLow
Stewart F, Manager at The D'Arcy Thompson, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2018

We're glad you enjoyed your meal, all of the staff front and back are thankful for such a great comments!

We can't wait to have you back, cheers!

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

Lovely staff, really nice decor. Went for a pub quiz, great atmosphere and the food was lovely. Really nice proper chips.

Reviewed 26 April 2018

Me and my friend were here last night and from the minute we arrived we were greeted with a friendly helpful staff in particular paddy who served us was very helpful giving us advice about the menu we really enjoyed our visit and will certainly be back

Stewart F, Manager at The D'Arcy Thompson, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and the food!

Paddy's effort have not gone unnoticed and we'll make sure he is rewarded for his efforts :)

Thanks again.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Fresh and tasty food in lovely surroundings. The menu is small and all the better for that, with a good choice and varied vegetarian options. Our waiter and waitress were friendly, efficient and very helpful. It was clear they were proud of the restaurant and the city. We'll be back, for sure.

1  Thank AlisonMackScotland
Stewart F, Manager at The D'Arcy Thompson, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Your comments have been passed on to the staff members, thank you for taking time to write this awesome review!

Can't wait to have you back!