“ATMOSPHERIC”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Golden Mile
Description: You will find The Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast within a short stroll of Europa Hotel, Grosvenor Road and Glengall Street - however, you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its heartily classic pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous Irish hospitality.The Crown Liquor Saloon is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

A gang of us went in here for a drink. Inside was like going back in time, beautiful stained glass windows, highly polished bar and cute cubicles where you could sit as a group. We decided to stay for lunch it was fantastic. Staff were friendly, efficient and dressed in smart Victoria type clothing. A truly great afternoon was spent here! Definitely worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,653)

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Over the years I have heard so much about The Crown and its décor so on my first visit back to Belfast in many years, I was really looking forward to going there. I was very impressed by the building itself, the booths etc. We just stayed for 2 drinks before heading for dinner nearby.

Unfortunately I had to use their toilets and this is where The Crown let me down. As a recent reviewer commented - the toilets were disgraceful, absolutely filthy. My visit was around 6.30 on a busy Friday evening and I had to tell one of the bar staff that the toilet roll needed to be replenished!!. For a busy "tourist attraction" this really shouldn't happen.

Next time I'm in Belfast, I will make a return trip to the bar as I did enjoy the atmosphere and the beautiful surroundings - but will be avoiding their toilets!!...

1  Thank MOD_10
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

After Prince Harry and Megan had lunch there, my partner wanted to experience the pub!

Centrally located, it has a good ambience and rustic decor inside!

Food is nothing special. I had the Mac and Cheese but it was very cheesey and was average portion! The food prices were at the higher end for that type of quality food! However, the local pint is lager (Belfast Lager) was very nice and reasonably priced!!

I would recommend a visit but would keep your expectations average! The locals say it is a tourist trap!!

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Apparently this is the only pub owned by the National Trust and it is beautifully maintained inside. Well worth a visit and not over busy when we called in on a Saturday night. Only downside was the toilets. Very nicely done but absolutely filthy. This may have been a one off but not what you'd expect from such a nice venue. Went into a few pubs in the city and none of the others had this problem.

2  Thank Alice-Pie
Reviewed 30 April 2018

I took my parents for a meal at the restaurant as the bar downstairs was full. The Irish stew was to die for and it would have been a fab evening but for the guy in charge if the restaurant . He was an obnoxious man with no customer service skills.
I overheard him telling a customer it was his third 12hr shift. Well surely he is getting paid for doing his job and please doing take his dissatisfaction out on paying customers.
We were told we couldn't have a dessert cos the kitchen had closed and the table of foreign guests next to us were told they couldn't have more chips because the fryer was switched off, they had about six chips each with their burger.
The guy in charge wanted to go home and wasn't going to let anyolne get in his way. I wasn't happy.
Returned the following day with husband on crutches but had to leave as nowhere to sit and most booths had only 2-4 people in them. I do think their should be a rule about how many people should sit in a booth.
Beautiful building.