“Mr Wayne Griffiths”

Laguna Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #100 of 1,334 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$17 - US$126
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had the fortunate pleasure to book the function room for my retirement celebration ( WEGXIT!!)on the night of28/4.. ...outstanding service to 150 guests many of whom commented as to how impressed they were with the buffet provided and efficiency and courtesy of the staff .. a wonderful event for me was made even more enjoyable by all who attended on us at Park Plaza.. simply brilliant!!

Stayed overnight in exceptional accommodation and then my family and I enjoyed quite the best Sunday lunch that we have ever experienced.....wonderful choice ,excellent quality food and extremely attentive and courteous efficient staff managed by Jade Well done all 5 stars!

Daniel B, Manager at Laguna Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good Afternoon Mr Griffiths,

Thank you for choosing to dine with us.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us as it will truly help us to continue to drive good standards of service and hospitality in the restaurant.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food, I have shared your feedback with Jade and the rest of the team, it’s great to let them know that they are doing a great job especially when they hear it from our guests.

Kind regards,

Rajesh Ganesh
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We came here for my wife's birthday. With 3 young children opportunities to eat out are few and far between. We narrowed down our choice to Hare and Hounds (Aberthin), The Hardwick (Abergavenny) and here (Asador 44 was fully booked and we'd tried practically everywhere else in town over the years so fancied a change). As we had a 4 hour window we felt travelling an hour to eat wasn't sensible and so opted for Laguna.

Walking in past the hen parties and uncleared tables we went to the bar for a 'preprandial'. My wife ordered a gin and tonic which was acceptable enough were it not for the fact the gin had been omitted. No worry, this was corrected when spotted.

After some initial confusion upon entering the dining room, we were seated and set about ordering. My wife couldn't decide between the cod and the monkfish so asked the waiter which he'd recommend and was told "I don't eat fish in this country" in a rather aloof manner. Ignoring this, we ordered and the food was just ok. However the first course was served in dirty plates. Our waiter just didn't seem to care, taking far more interest in the table of 5 young ladies sat adjacent to us. This did not seem to go unnoticed by other staff members. We were given no time between courses to sit and chat (so much so that we had to actually ask for a wait for the pudding).

The sommelier was the saving grace - very courteous and accommodating.

Spending over £100 on a meal for two in Cardiff there are numerous better options. But most galling of all? 10% service charge automatically included (I routinely add 15% but had questioned giving anything prior to being handed the bill) - perhaps that is what gave our waiter carte blanche to act without a modicum of courtesy.

1  Thank Gormodoblant
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just a step from the New Theatre is the Park Plaza Hotel and inside it the Laguna Kitchen and Bar is ideally placed for a pre-theatre meal. It's also a jolly good choice if you are ladies who lunch, being the sort of place that where you can toy with a salad while having a large glass of sauvignon blanc.
Service was (with one hiccup) excellent and the food was very good. My cousin (a youthful 92 and still a first-class cook) enjoyed pan-friend salmon, having started with a goats cheese and beetroot salad, while I enjoyed an excellent tortellini with spinach and ricotta having kicked off with the house pate ( a bit bland, but quite acceptable). There is also a short Express Lunch menu, but we were in no hurry.
Good point: when I got the bill I was just about to add a bit for service when the young lady assured me this wasn't necessary as 10% gratuity was included. Not every restaurant I've been to would have done this!
Bad point: The dismal décor - lots of dark brown, while the restaurant looks out over trees - so light levels aren't good (this is even worse in the ladies' loo where dark brown woodwork, downlights and black tiling make repairing one's make-up impossible).

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We really enjoyed our pre-theatre meal earlier this week. The weather outside was appalling but the welcome inside was warm and efficient. The meal was prompt with some excellent choices and I really enjoyed my vegetarian dish. This is a real haven, very close to the more hectic commercial centre of Cardiff. We will be back.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I wanted to take my wife out for a special meal for her birthday. I seen on option on the tasting menu i thought my wife would love and the staff kindly allowed me to 'upgrade' our sunday meals to the option for a small top up fee. Food was fantastic and all staff were very accommodating and friendly. Made our night feel special and my wife and i enjoyed very much