All reviews the grill stables bar stables lodge sister hotel sunday lunch main restaurant lovely hotel superior room lamb fish and chips welsh rarebit hotel restaurant ate here north wales an evening meal the pub both nights
Reviewed 16 October 2015

Easy to find, ample onsite parking.
Very nice hotel and friendly knowledgeable staff. On arrival we were glad to have caught the £40 discount for a last minute booking at what looked in the pictures, like a fantastic hotel. Shame that after checking in and paying for the week in full we were quickly shown to the annex building "the stables lodge" which is more like a youth hostel.

The room was clean and pleasant, if a little cramped; with an excellent view of the rear car park.
The bed was awful and walls were paper thin, (we heard every detail from next door).
Tea and coffee facilities in the room. Cups and spoons looked although they were rinsed and wiped on a teeshirt.
Shower was very powerful and refreshing.

The wifi is free and usable however anything more than the hotels intranet is tediously slow, bordering unusable. Luckily EE have excellent 4g connection here.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dale-gudmunsen
Reviewed 12 October 2015

We booked a dinner, bed & breakfast deal (dining in the award wining Llugwy Restaurant - fine dining). We were in room 202, a deluxe four poster room at the front of the hotel overlooking the Llugwy River. The choice of facilities - The Grill Bar, Stables Bar, hotel lounge where afternoon tea etc. was served were brilliant. The staff were all lovely especially the young ladies in the restaurant. The Food, both breakfast and dinner were extra special! Except for being a tad on the 'warm' side I couldn't fault this hotel. Betws Y Coed has a very special ambience and our stay in the Royal Oak made it exceptional. Thank you to all the staff I would recommend this hotel very highly.

Room Tip: Room 202 overlooking the river and main street (a little noisy from traffic but well worth it for the view)
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judith R
Reviewed 3 October 2015

Stayed here for 4 nights recently to do some walking locally. The hotel is very easy to find, being on the A5 as you drive through the village, and has ample car parking space at the front and rear. Even if you arrive too early to check in, the friendly staff at Reception, who are a real asset to this hotel, will give you a car parking permit allowing you to park straightaway.
The hotel doesn't have a lift so don't bring heavy suitcases! My room was a double on the 2nd floor and it was lovely, with a really comfortable bed, flat screen TV, armchair, desk and chair and large wardrobe with ample hanging space. The bedside tables include a clock/alarm/radio with ipod docking station which is useful. The bathroom was luxurious with a good power shower over the bath and bodywash and shampoo provided. Towels were thick, fluffy and replaced daily. The only thing I didn't like about the bathroom was the automatic light which came on as you approached the door. This made it impossible to get up for the loo in the night without being thoroughly woken up by the bright light! Otherwise the room was superb in every way.
The breakfasts were generous and generally very good, served in the grill bar. There was an adequate choice of fruit,, juices cereals and yoghurts to start, white and wholemeal toast which you made yourself on one of those hotel toasting machines, and fresh croissants and pastries. Tea and coffee were served freshly made to youyr table as were cooked items. The scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, and the welsh ham and eggs, were lovely, but I wasn't keen on the local sausages which were undercooked. I was disappointed that there were no kippers for the duration of my stay as I love them for breakfast.
There are 3 options for dinner: restaurant, grill room or Y Stablau bar. I had a ploughmans lunch in the bar the day I arrived and honestly wouldn't eat anywhere else after probably the best ploughmans I've ever had! The service was so friendly and effificent, and the food was delicious, all freshly cooked. No microwave dinners here! I tried a steak, the lasagne and salad, and the special cod chips and mushy peas, but the stand out meal was the Welsh burger, an 8 ounce proper home made burger with chips, salad, special dressing and proper Welsh rarebit on the top, delicious! The portions were huge, definitely suitable for walkers, and I never managed a dessert though they were available and looked lovely. I have read a couple of poor reviews of this bar and wonder if they could have been to the same place! The staff are an asset to the bar. It opens from coffee time in the morning until after 11 at night, with jazz on a Thursday night which was very enjoyable too.
The menus for the grill and restaurant looked really good, but with such great bar food on offer I didn't try either. maybe next time.
The weather was wet a lot of the time, but I still enjoyed several good walks without having to use my car, which i always enjoy.
This is a very comfortable and friendly hotel to which I would certainly return. If anything the rooms were a little on the warm side, so I imagine it would be perfect for a cold winter's stay too.

Stayed: September 2015
2  Thank Clodia94
Reviewed 29 September 2015

We stayed at this the Royal Oak for four days as part of a tour group. The Hotel staff did a good job of accommodating the 33 of us. The rooms are a little out of date and one of our twin beds was extremely uncomfortable and the other hard a as a rock.
An additional fold out bed was broken and took up space in what would have been a sitting area. Loved the town of Betws-y-Coed and the beautiful walks along the river.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2015

The Royal Oak Hotel is situated in a beautiful part of Wales and after a good stroll around the area, it is great to find a restaurant which is welcoming and has a great ambience. The staff are all very helpful and pleasant. We went for Saturday lunch and were presented with a standard menu for £11.50 for 2 courses or £13.50 for 3 courses. The menu had a number of options to suit all tastes. The food was well presented and was very substantial...none of this nouvelle cuisine which you get at some hotels! We were also given the a la carte menu. The restaurant uses local fresh food and their dressings are delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple