“So run down with birds that need more space..”

Earnley Butterflies Birds and Beasts
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Save your money, this place is over priced with poor animals that need bigger enclosures.. please don’t waste your money or time. Only good thing was it was raining and mainly undercover

1  Thank Rachy0684
in 10 reviews
"revamp"
"stroke"

Reviewed 7 August 2018

The butterflies here are really big and beautiful which is lovely but that really is the only highlight. The aviary was really very small and what I was hoping would look like a lush, rainforest-esque greenhouse, actually turned out to be a really sparse, dry, drab looking room in desperate need of some TLC.

Reptile house was pretty much empty, 'Animal Avenue' seemed to have a couple of guinea pigs and a couple of rabbits, "play" area was completely non-existent (have they removed all of the children's activity equipment but not yet removed the sign??), Nostalgia Museum was about one of the creepiest things I've ever encountered. The gardens were really well thought-out and pretty, however the whole place just didn't flow very well. You'd often wander down paths and things and then get to a dead end and have to turn back the way you came to get out. It's also as far away from buggy friendly as you can get. I had my all terrain buggy with me, I dread to think what it would have been like with a stroller. Paths are really narrow so it's an incredibly tight squeeze for a single buggy, if you have a double don't bother!

Just generally this is a fantastic premise that has been executed terribly. The whole place is so neglected and run down, signs fading and rusting, cages seen better days, crazy golf looked like it had been built 50 years ago and not touched since. Did the entire thing in 40 minutes and also not somewhere you want to go on a hot summers day as most of it is in a greenhouse.

Give it a miss.

3  Thank Alessandra K
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

My daughters are absolutely obsessed with butterflies so I've been thinking of taking them here for a while. After reading some of the reviews on here I wasn't expecting much but it was actually very pleasant. Perhaps a bit on the expensive side but the butterfly room was absolutely teeming with big beautiful butterflies and some that landed on us and flew around our heads it was a pretty special experience. My daughter's were so excited they had good fun. Then exploring the gardens, museum, reptile house and feeding the small animals was good too. We didn't spend very long here so I wouldn't say it's a whole day out, hence why it seems expensive, but it was an experience that I'm glad we visited.

Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

I had been looking forward to bringing my daughter here because she absolutely loves butterflies and we had been talking about it for days beforehand. I had read a few mixed reviews but I wish I had paid more attention to the bad ones.

The butterfly garden itself was OK. We saw quite a few butterflies and my daughter kept wanting to go back there - which is obviously a positive. However, there wasn’t much else I could say that was favourable.

The reptile house looked almost abandoned. We saw one lizard and that was about it. The turtle pool (I don’t know it’s officially name) looked stagnant and murky and we didn’t see ANY turtles at all.

The animal avenue was much the same: just a lot of empty hutches and cages.

The nostalgia museum was a little odd and being the only people in there, it felt rather creepy. And the crazy gold, although we didn’t use it, looked like it had seen better days.

The whole place needed a blooming good clean and a bit of TLC.

5  Thank Flippidygibbit
See more reviews
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Probably one of the worst places that I have visited. The butterflies are housed in a very small badly maintained greenhouse and there was hardly any butterflies. There are a few other animals also housed in areas that need a lot of updating. For what you got it was very expensive to go in and then after you have paid your entrance, they want to charge you even more money to play a game of crazy golf on an old dilapidated course! I would not recommend anyone to visit this place. I would love to see a charity for rescued animals take it over and make it into a nice place to visit and support rescued animals.

1  Thank suzie392018