“A real disappointment”

Earnley Butterflies Birds and Beasts
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

I had been looking forward to bringing my daughter here because she absolutely loves butterflies and we had been talking about it for days beforehand. I had read a few mixed reviews but I wish I had paid more attention to the bad ones.

The butterfly garden itself was OK. We saw quite a few butterflies and my daughter kept wanting to go back there - which is obviously a positive. However, there wasn’t much else I could say that was favourable.

The reptile house looked almost abandoned. We saw one lizard and that was about it. The turtle pool (I don’t know it’s officially name) looked stagnant and murky and we didn’t see ANY turtles at all.

The animal avenue was much the same: just a lot of empty hutches and cages.

The nostalgia museum was a little odd and being the only people in there, it felt rather creepy. And the crazy gold, although we didn’t use it, looked like it had seen better days.

The whole place needed a blooming good clean and a bit of TLC.

5  Thank Flippidygibbit
in 10 reviews
"revamp"
"stroke"

Reviewed 24 July 2018

Probably one of the worst places that I have visited. The butterflies are housed in a very small badly maintained greenhouse and there was hardly any butterflies. There are a few other animals also housed in areas that need a lot of updating. For what you got it was very expensive to go in and then after you have paid your entrance, they want to charge you even more money to play a game of crazy golf on an old dilapidated course! I would not recommend anyone to visit this place. I would love to see a charity for rescued animals take it over and make it into a nice place to visit and support rescued animals.

1  Thank suzie392018
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Whilst they care for abandoned animal they site is not up to expectations for the entry fee. Good size car park, limited cafe, no butterflies play area poor.

2  Thank 688timothy
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

TLC needed but a enjoyable morning visit, the high light was a gentlemen tending to the turtles letting my children personally meet and stroke them along with baby ones. I think I’m right mentioning that most animals here are unwanted and left with these guys to care for so money well spent to keep this place going.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

As a small childminder group (10 children 3 adults) we took a trip here this morning as part of our mini beasts week.
The car park is huge, massive plus when getting out children and buggies.
But, the place itself is in dire need of some love and care!
Being up close to the butterflies was great, but their enclosure needs some care.
The other animals all look in need of a good wash and brush and repairs made to their enclosures and homes.
The reptile house is also in a state of repair, it looks as if the reptiles could escape and you can’t really see them anyway.
The play area (if you can call it that) is completely run down, the ground is covered in wood chips with weeds coming through. All the play equipment needs repairs and re painting. The place is very dull and uninviting.
If we didn’t have a picnic we would have spent at most half an hour there.
There is so much that could be done to make it better if only someone could or would do it, I’m sure that a complete revamp and repair would make it much more attractive and appealing to visit.

1  Thank Becky_steer