“Good for foor, not for drinks”
Review of The White Swan

The White Swan
Ranked #382 of 2,498 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$20 - US$52
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Edgbaston
Description: Situated in Edgbaston, this stylish pub, bar and restaurant is perfectly equipped to accommodate all of your dining requirements, no matter what the occasion. Offering the ultimate setting to indulge, drink and socialise in truly premium surroundings, The White Swan will allow you to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life, in optimum comfort and style. With its beautiful interiors, charismatic charm, and lovely outdoor space, this traditional yet stylish family friendly establishment is a unique space where you can dine, drink, and celebrate all year round. Above all, it’s The White Swan’s stunning outdoor garden that really sets it apart. Perfect for al fresco dining in the sunshine, this unique space will allow you to relax, unwind, and absorb a healthy dose of vitamin D during the warmer months, whilst socialising with your nearest and dearest. All of our seasonal menus have been carefully designed to provide something for every taste and occasion.
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Went for lunch once with my significant other. Nice lunch, good food reasonable price. Decided to go again a couple of weeks later for drinks after work. £14 for a glass of wine (normal, not large) and a G&T. £14 for 2 drinks !! Won't be returning

General Manager A, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

Hello CuisseDeGrenouilles,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us this review. We are sorry you find our prices on wine and gin disagreeable, thank you for letting us know how reasonavle you find our menu though! If you would like to discuss anything further please email us at enquiry@thewhiteswanpub.com.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Stopped here for a lunch. The pub looks good from the outside, but inside could be anywhere with a lack of character. Staff were non interactive, and food was OK. Serves a purpose, but not worth making a detour for.

General Manager A, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Hi Crawfie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We’re truly sorry you feel our interior lacks character and that you had a negative experience with the staff that served you. If you would like to contact us further with any other feedback that could improve any future visits please email us at enquiry@thewhiteswanpub.com, we hope to see you back soon so we can change your mind!

Reviewed 29 April 2018

The Swan is a usual haunt for me and my friends when I visit Birmingham. I always know what to expect, I know it's going to be good and I know the service is going to be good. This time was no exception: food great (crab fishcakes are great!), service great (an apology from the barman for not having the right garnish for my G&T). However, the evening was slightly ruined by party of about 30 / 40 who were there for a birthday. When I arrived they were blocking the entrance so had to fight my way through to the main bar (which was much emptier). When they were shown to their table, they were understandably noisy-ish, but at times as we were eating they were so loud we could barely hear each other talk. The worst bit was when one of the party insisted on letting out a high pitched scream to get the attention of everyone else so a speech could be made. I know you're having fun, but please be considerate to other diners! When one of my friends suggested to the waiter that a private dining room might be a good idea he agreed - they have one, but apparently the £95 upfront charge puts people off, even when it does come off the bill. Time for a rethink on how this is handled, maybe? I don't begrudge anyone a good night out, but when they are that loud, it's a bit annoying.

General Manager A, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Hi SooDenim,

Thank you so much for such a positive and detailed review, your feedback is greatly appreciated by all of us here and it’s great to see how you feel about our fishcakes and service! That being said it’s a real shame to hear that the large party had such a negative influence on your experience with us this time! Rest assured, I spoke to the party organiser and the gent that let out the shrill whistle letting them know that we needed them to be more considerate of our other guests just after that incident, and whilst it is true that we do have a private dining room, unfortunately their numbers exceeded the capacity of the room for a sit down meal, where typically we would be happy to seat our guests provided the room isn’t already in use. I will however explore a more efficient use of our space around the entrance in future, as to avoid the experience you had struggling to maneuver through the group of people that were there. We hope to see you back again soon, and that we can continue to impress you. Thank you again for your great suggestions and such a fantastic review!

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately it has gone down the hill since the refurb. Visited tonight for a family meal and Sunday roasts were sold out so I had the pork belly which I have had lots of times before but this time pork was quite tough and the veges and crackling that you used to get with meal were not there. When we went to order the dessert they had run out of the vanilla ice cream. Overall very disappointed. We used to go there often but don’t think we will be returning as this was the second disappointing visit since the refurb...

General Manager A, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Hi Santija,

We are very sorry to see this is how you felt after your visits with us post refurb! Unfortunately we are only able to serve a limited amount of roasts on a Sunday, and once they are sold we then switch to our regular dinner menu. Our dishes do tend to change occasionally, and pork belly is no longer served the same way it recently has been, however crackling should still be served with the meal. I will speak with the kitchen regarding your experience. Once more, we are very sorry to hear about your disappointing visit, if you wish to discuss this further with us please feel free to email us at enquiry@thewhiteswanpub.co.uk.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

A work colleague and I ate her early evening on Wednesday of last week. The White Swan has a varied menu.

We started with the Mediterranean mezze followed by the lamb and balsamic nicely-spiced kofta for me which was tasty and she had the sea bass.

The decor was quite smart, the atmosphere relaxed and the Cabernet Sauvignon was very smooth.

General Manager A, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Hello Paul,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a great review! We are so glad you had a great time and enjoyed our varied menu and found the atmosphere to your liking. Any tips or feedback you may have that we could use to improve would be greatly appreciated, feel free to let us know at enquiry@thewhiteswanpub.com, and we hope to see you again soon!