2,465 results
All reviews countess suite vitality pool spa facilities golf break great spa beautiful hotel four poster stately home upgraded to a suite steam room spa weekend roaring fire the main hotel cream tea evening meal changing rooms standard room
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is supposed to be a 4 star Spa Hotel, and sadly, the only 4 star thing about it is how it looks from the outside and the beautiful grounds it sits in.
Internally, the hotel is tired and, quite frankly, felt like a retirement home for the elderly. Yes we had a ‘Standard Double’ room, but as this was supposed to be a 4 star hotel, we did expect even a ‘standard’ room to be of good quality. Our room and bathroom were clean, but the bedroom fixtures, fittings, decor etc. were basic and below standard. No gowns or slippers were provided (normally standard for a Spa Hotel) in the bedroom or at the Spa until I complained at reception, by which time I’d already had a massage and had to put my clothes back on, on top of the oils that were used for the massage.
Broken hooks in bathroom, so unable to hang anything, rusty shower rail and flimsy shower curtain that wraps itself around you as you’re trying to shower? Definitely not 4 star!
Poor sound-proofing in bedrooms meant we could hear every little noise either in the corridor or from rooms close by.
No safe, mini fridge, bottled water provided, and only one sachet of coffee each.
Most of the staff were pleasant and helpful with one or two exceptions - we arrived at the Spa for our treatments and we were greeted by a gum- chewing young girl who wasn’t rude exactly but was definitely ‘off hand’ in her customer service skills. (The massage I had was really nice, but I forgot to get the name of the girl who did it, otherwise I would recommend her here, but she did say she’d been in the profession/working at this Spa for 5 years)

The breakfasts were ok, but buffet style. Usually with 4 star accommodation, you would expect to be served at your table, and certainly not have to queue for 15 minutes to help yourself. The cooked breakfast items were below standard - the bacon rashers were impossible to separate, (cooked in the oven, straight from the packaging so stuck together and swimming in grease) unappetising dishes of dried scramble egg, and sloppy, broken, swimming in fat fried eggs - not great!
I know the breakfast area was extremely busy on the Sunday morning as the hotel had several large hen parties booked in who all arrived for breakfast at the same time, but from the size of the hotel the staff should be used to coping with large numbers and not let it affect their service - reaching straight across one guest who is eating their breakfast (close enough that your arm brushes their face) to remove a breakfast plate from another guest who still has their piece of toast in their hand is not acceptable at any hotel let alone a 4 star establishment!

This was supposed to be a very special weekend away for me and my husband, my 6 months pregnant daughter and her husband to celebrate my husband’s 60th Birthday. I paid £1200 for this 2 night break and I didn’t expect to have to keep apologising to my family for the poor value and extremely disappointing hotel experience.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I do sincerely regret that you dd not enjoy your experience with us. Whilst all of our rooms meet the required four star standard, I do regret the poor level of maintenance. Our standard rooms do not have robes or mini fridges etc, but other room types do, as advertised. I do wish though that we had been able to react to your dissatisfaction whilst you were still with us so we could have improved your lasting impression, this is of course much more difficult in hindsight.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I booked this hotel for my birthday and I must say it was a tremendous choice. The hotel is stunning and the staff were fantastic in every area of the hotel. The food in the restaurant was some of the best I have ever tried and the range of drinks available was very good. The spa is very good and offers a vast range of treatments and packages. As I golfer I played the on site golf course and found this to be a good course with plenty of challenges on most of the holes. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to have a high quality enjoyable break

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the great review. We hope to see you back with us very soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The room was comfortable and clean. We stayed on our way north and it is very convenient from the M40. Our doggie enjoyed the local environment with a huge park to run in. The staff were very friendly and patient with a little doggie in the bar. Food evening meal was good and the buffet breakfast sets you up for the day.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

For a rate of almost £300 a night we expect a much better service. This is a spa hotel and our room had only one bath towel and no robes, these were not provided despite asking at reception. We would expect a good quality breakfast served at the table NOT a buffet breakfast with poor quality ingredients. Not only did we have to queue for 15 minutes, the buffet ran out of food. The room itself was lovely and the staff very friendly but despite this we are bitterly disappointed with the service and value here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisacook123

Very sorry that even though you liked the room and the team impressed you left us so far from satisfied. Whilst we have no plans to provide a plated breakfast, of course your dining experience should have been vastly better than this and I sincerely apologise.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Having previously stayed here I’m surprised how much the standards in this hotel have slipped. Parking is a nightmare and the breakfast was not only massively inefficient (huge queue’s) but very poor quality with tepid greasy food. I won’t be rushing back here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to learn that you have not enjoyed your visit with us and very disappointed that you will not be returning, this is of course not as we would want your lasting impression to be. I do hope you will contact me directly so I can try to regain your confidence.