Open today: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Hidden treasure

Have visited Lichfield often over the last twenty years- why have we not been here before? Suggest... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
1949etwall
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
via mobile
Brilliant & Free

What a great little museum & garden ( although garden would be better visited in spring or summer... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
zarky
Plymouth, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews herb garden his inventions lunar society interactive exhibits lovely house well worth a visit amazing man hands on activities josiah wedgwood renaissance man cellar tour medical doctor industrial revolution little gem small museum free entry his life
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Tucked away opposite the Cathedral in Lichfield is Erasmus Darwin House. It is where Erasmus, grandfather of Charles Darwin lived for much of his adult life. It is not large with three rooms upstairs and downstairs to visit. It documents his work as a doctor of medicine and an inventor and his regular meetings with scientists of his era who formed what was known as the Lunar Club as they met at each others houses each full moon. There is a short commentary to watch narrated by Adam Hart-Davis which gives the background to his life and there is audio to listen to as you go round. The downstairs is well laid out with informative descriptions to read but there seems very little upstairs to visit. It is free to visit but donations are requested.
The visit was somewhat spoilt by one of the two staff present spending much of the time we were there speaking loudly (including using bad language) and seeming to find everything to moan and complain about. The lady on duty when we visited was very pleasant but the gentleman spoilt the visit.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Hezekiah312
Erasmus D, Manager at Erasmus Darwin House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and whilst I was pleased to find that you enjoyed the exhibits downstairs, I was very disappointed to learn that one of our volunteers had created such a bad impression and I can assure you that I will address the issue. Please accept my apologies.
Would it be possible for you to email me separately to give me an idea of the time and day you visited the house so that I may check which volunteers were working - I will treat the information confidentially. enquiries@erasmusdarwin.org

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

I had never heard of Erasmus Darwin until this day but I'm glad I found here.

The small museum was certainly worth a visit and the garden too.

It is very close to the Cathedral.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 24 April 2018

This place is well worth a visit. Friendly and knowledgable staff who make you feel very welcome. The house itself has a lovely atmosphere and plenty of interactive exhibits. I learned a lot about an incredibly interesting figure rather overshadowed by the fame of his grandson. We especially enjoyed trying on the range of hats and Georgian costumes upstairs!

Date of experience: April 2018
Erasmus D, Manager at Erasmus Darwin House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you for your review. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the house - it certainly does have a lovely atmosphere, and the Georgian costumes are always popular.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

Great museum to visit just a short walk from the centre of Lichfield. Friendly welcome from the staff who were very informative.
Rooms downstairs and on the first floor to visit with displays and interactive exhibits to keep your interest.
Great dress up clothes for the kids.
Lovely well kept period house. It is free but donations are appreciated. There is a small gift section at front of the house.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

We stumbled upon this museum which is the home of Charles' grandfather. It is brilliant. No charge to go in but donations are very welcome. The staff are very informative and welcoming and we discovered all about this amazing man.