“authentic experience”

Wonderland Tea Room
Ranked #197 of 1,352 Restaurants in Nottingham
Price range: US$7 - US$9
Description: Wonderland Character themed cafe, with nonsensical theatre, singing and acting. Afternoon Tea Milkshakes Tea's Cream Tea's Toasties Please book via Facebook or email
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited the cafe recently and was greeted by welcoming staff on arrival. The food was great and so was the service provided , nothing was to much trouble for this wonderful wonderland cafe. The atmosphere was very authentic and so was the overly experience of my first visit. I will be sure to visit again in future and i would urge you to do also.

1  Thank nathwalk

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a great time at the wonderland cafe in Nottingham. The staff were really lovely, nothing was too much trouble. Would highly recommend

1  Thank huckerby64
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Walked in wanting a fry up and bucket of coffee to be met by snow White (yes in full Disney costume) with a really high pitched American accent (imagine bernadette of big bang theory). I initially thought my not until I looked at the menu. Most of the items were set menu afternoon tea type indulgences rather than a meal. The most substantial thing on there were toasties. When snow white starts d fussing round I fled. Its a gimmick.. I get it!

I've you want twee and fir the kids to be entertained then this place is ideal. If you want actual food, find somewhere else.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Delightful themed restaurant we had the un traditional afternoon tea. Sandwiches were a mixture of meat and fish on brown bread, scones with jam and cream and a mixture of cakes. Fresh and tasty especially the brownie and the victoria sandwich. Staff attentive and Alice sang which was beautiful. Thank you

Reviewed 20 April 2018

Interesting decor. Dark and slightly musty as in the basement with no windows.

Bizarrely only 1 choice of coffee, cafetiere which was only lukewarm. There were no alternatives of juice of any kind unless I paid extra.

The sandwiches were tiny and barely 2 inches square and we were struggling to determine what kind of filling was in them. Not sure if it was cream cheese or salmon? The cakes were nicely done in heart shapes but the carrot cake and chocolate brownie were only an inch square. The scones were a little hard, but I didn't get to finish mine as we were asked to leave when our allotted hour was up. I appreciate they were closing but we were the only customers at all times and I couldn't see a problem to give us an extra 10 minutes to finish up as there was no door to lock as the cafe was just in the corner of the basement shop. I asked for a doggy bag with the unused food as there was quite a bit as a friend had not turned up, but when we got the food it was just 3 scones and 2 small cakes out of everything we left!! We asked for the small jars of jam and clotted cream but were told the jars are washed and reused. Not sure what happened to everything else that we hadn't had chance to eat!

All-in-all, this was not a good experience with grumpy staff, poor service and overpriced food. If I had paid full price (£48) I would have asked for a refund, but as I used a half price Wowcher for the 4 of us I accepted this but we all agreed we would not be returning whatever the price.

2  Thank Lynda W
Ash H, Owner at Wonderland Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Hi,

Everyone knows we are in the basement of Hopkinsons, do your research before buying a voucher. That’s like complaining that you went to a garden party and it was in a garden. We close at 4 o’clock, you turned up at 3:20 when your booking was at 3pm. You came in with a grumpy attitude asking about a refund because a friend hadn’t shown up. Personally I think you are leaving a bad review because it didn’t go as you envisaged. However your friend not showing up as bad as that maybe is not a reason to leave a poor review and reflect your poor mood on our business. In regards to your food we put it in all cling film and bags as requested. We didn’t send the two squares of sandwiches as they were salmon and would have spoiled in heat, would you prefer to have food poisoning? You can’t expect to take our jars home because your friend again, didn’t show up. We are glad you won’t be revisiting as it’s supposed to be a fun venue.

Kind Regards