1,833 results
All reviews peel street car park lovely hotel complimentary chocolate mini fridge rainfall shower sky tv fresh milk chocolate bar nespresso machine robes and slippers superior room city centre double shower huge bed minute walk bars and restaurants
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Spurning the Hilton / Amex special offer (which brought me to York), I decided, instead, to book this place on the strength of the TripAdvisor reviews. After all, I had stayed twice at an Indigo in Newcastle a few years ago and it was fine.

My big mistake, this time, was to simply book a standard room. It was not good.

First of all, let’s go through the plus points. The check in was very efficient and the staff were friendly and helpful. The little bar was very nice and a pleasant place to have a drink. The breakfast was excellent. It was cooked to order and, as I’ve always said, this is much, much better than having to select food from a buffet where it has probably been sitting for a while. The fresh orange juice and yoghurt were both of particular note. A thoroughly good breakfast overall on each of our mornings here.

The room, however, was very small and oddly shaped and decorated. It bore no resemblance whatsoever to any of the photos of other rooms that one can see on TripAdvisor. Notwithstanding this, the heating was faulty (an all too common problem in hotels these days).

On our first night, it was bit chilly, so I turned the heating up to 24 degrees. It simply blew out freezing cold air. Eventually, I realised it was warmer when turned off. The receptionist came and had a look. She patiently explained that to get the maximum heat, you had to set it for 22.5 degrees. Really? 20 minutes later, it was still blowing cold air, so I went back and complained again. I was promised that “maintenance” would have a look at it tomorrow. I’ve no idea whether they did as the following night, it was just as bad, refusing to give off any warm air at all. I had to switch it off completely

On checking out, I explained this to reception. “Never mind, we’ll get maintenance to have a look at it” I was told. Well, that’s not a lot of use to me on my way out.

I would probably stay here again as the hotel is well located but I would not make the mistake of assuming the “standard” room would be OK. It was not.

Room Tip: Do not accept a standard room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kenc
HotelIndigoYork, Redceptionist at Hotel Indigo York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Thank you for noticing how helpful and friendly our staff were upon check-in, we do try to be as welcoming and informative as possible. It is also lovely to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast both mornings.

We apologise that your room did not meet your expectations in terms of size and shape, we do have a variety of different sized rooms. If you did decide to stay with us again in the future, I would recommend booking one of our superior or premium rooms which are much larger than our standard rooms. We hope you will return to stay with us again as we would love to welcome you back and to show you our other room categories and what they have to offer.

With regards to the heating, we apologise that the AC was not working properly. I can inform you, that during the week of your stay we experienced a fault with the AC in many rooms which was later fixed by maintenance. We apologise that we were not able to fix this sooner and that this affected your stay. However, I can assure you our maintenance team did correct the issue. Regardless, we understand your disappointment that this was not corrected during your stay and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We still hope you welcome you back in the future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here with my daughter as we were visiting the university.

Right from the start everything was perfect. The receptionist was very welcoming & the decor lovely. Our room was beautiful. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was yummy.

The location is great.

Our experience was so good that I have booked to come back for a weekend with my husband.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
HotelIndigoYork, Receptionist at Hotel Indigo York, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your daughter and that you are returning to stay with us again! We are pleased that you enjoyed your 'perfect' stay, including the room and your breakfast.

See you very soon!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed one night midweek. Great location in the city centre but the parking is on some run down yard 5 minutes away. Better to park in Fleet St which is cheaper and has more spaces. The hotel is lovely and very quirky but the beds are high up and very uncomfortable with very hard mattresses! We had three rooms and all of us thought that the beds were awful, lumpy and we all had very little sleep. My daughter got so fed up that she walked back to her student house nearby in the middle of the night! It didn’t quite end up the treat that we were looking forward to. We are IHG platinum members and have stayed in more comfortable Holiday Inn Express hotel beds to be honest

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi westie17,

It's a lovely day, thanks for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad you found our hotel aesthetically pleasing and that our location is to your liking! On the downside, I'm sorry to learn that our beds weren't comfortable enough. The inconvenience this caused isn't what we expected and I've relayed your feedback with the team. Comments like yours help us spot areas that need additional TLC.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope we soon get the chance to make your next stay better than the last.

Kind regards,

Jillian I
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 14 September 2018

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo in York for 2 nights on our way south from Edinburgh! I had booked the room directly through the hotel as I am an IHG member. The exterior of the hotel is pretty unassuming. Check in was friendly and efficient. Our room was not over generous, but it was perfect for our needs and well appointed. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the room was very quiet. We enjoyed the decor and the vibe. We had the included breakfast both mornings and thought that the continental fare was fresh and varied and the hot offerings were well prepared and ample. The parking is a bit hinkey, but we bypassed the Hotel Indigo's dedicated lot in favor of the pay lot right next door off of George St. it was also £3 cheaper per night. You can book the car park on your smart phone so it was very convenient and just a short a walk to the hotel. The hotel is on Walmgate which is kind of a restaurant row and within easy walking distance to most of the primary sites. Check out was also straightforward and we appreciated being able to leave our luggage at the front desk until we were ready to hit the road again. We would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to write this fab review! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, particularly your room and the breakfast selection provided. It is nice to hear that the location was handy for you, and that you were able to enjoy the attractions and restaurants that York has to offer.

Thank you for saying that you would return - we would love to welcome you back!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 14 September 2018

This is a nice hotel in a quiet area of York but still within easy walking distance of the city centre / shambles walls etc, lovely continental breakfast, and quiet bar area.Ideal if you want a bit of peace in a busy city.

Stayed: August 2018

Hello,

Thank you for this review! It is great to hear that the location was perfect for you and that you enjoyed your breakfast. We hope you will choose to stay with us again some time in the future!

Kind Regards,