Open today: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
Round the World hen party cook off

What can I say! The family team running the school were super warm & friendly - The kitchen was... read more

Reviewed 1 October 2018
L6362CInataliec
via mobile
Cakes and Bakes course.

I attended the cakes and bakes course. I was unsure whether to book this course or not as I do bake... read more

Reviewed 27 July 2018

from US$51.30
from US$19.20
from US$64.10
More Info
All reviews thai street food macaron making expert guidance learnt loads hen party lots of fun skills equipment workshop classes tutor taught introduction session video chocolate
Reviewed 17 May 2018

A fun and informative days cookery course.

I came away with the skills and confidence to cook some great recipes for my family. It was a great Xmas present from my wife. The people running the course were helpful, entertaining and very professional.

I'm sure I will be back to maybe do their Tapas course.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 24 April 2018

I recently attended the knife skills course and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kate is an excellent instructor and Fraser kept everything running smoothly - a great team who make you feel comfortable and relaxed. If I was to make a couple of observations it would be that although I learned a lot I was expecting something a little more complex such as how to bone a chicken or fillet a fish but then I guess the onus is on me to find out a little more about the content of the course. Second observation is that I think pairing up, whilst practical from a time perspective, means that you can miss some of the processes you are being taught depending upon the generosity of your neighbour!

I must stress these are small points though and that in general I would highly recommend the YCS and I hope to return.

1  Thank richardsonsally64
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Attended after receiving this as a Christmas gift. Brilliant size class with only 8 to a session. Kate and Fraser are very welcoming! Kate made it look so easy! She taught us some handy hints and tips to help with the macaron making at home. Kate was very patient and attentive. The equipment in the school to use was brilliant! Fantastic recipes provided and plenty of samples to take home! I would highly recommend! Thank you!

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I attended the French macaron class run by Kate and Fraser. It was a brilliant day. I learnt so much and can't wait to recreate the wonderful macarons we made yesterday.
Kate is an excellent teacher, calm, knowledgeable, patient and very professional. The kitchen was spacious, well equipped and pleasant to work in. The day was extremely well run with a great lunch provided too.
I will definitely attend more days there and have already been checking out the patisserie courses

1  Thank Christine D
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I purchased this course for my fiancé as he is an accomplished cook but wanted to learn how to safely and skilfully wield a knife in the kitchen. He instead learnt to make soup and spring rolls.

This is a novice course do not attend if you are wanting anything more than a basic cooking class.

1  Thank rachthomson
YORKCookerySchool, Owner at YORK Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2018

I'm very sorry that you think the class your fiance attended was not as expected.

However, I'd like to clarify that the class description does not promise to create lots of different dishes. The soup and spring rolls are incidental and simply made because we don't like to waste the produce we use to practice the knife skills.

Knife skills and knife safety are the main focus of this class and the techniques listed below were both taught and practised as a group.

I've copied the class description below:

"In this class, you'll learn the techniques which will help you to, not only, chop an onion but finely slice and dice vegetables and herbs. You'll be preparing a selection of seasonal vegetables and herbs to practice your skills which will then be transformed into some simple spring rolls and a tasty, vegetable soup.

Techniques you'll learn will include:
• the 'rock-chop'
• julienne (matchsticks)
• brunoise (fine dice)
• chiffonade (ribbon cut)"

Perhaps you simply booked the wrong class for your fiance.