“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED”

YORK Cookery School
Ranked #2 of 14 Classes & Workshops in York
More attraction details
Owner description: YORK Cookery School offers a range of food and drink experiences for all ages and abilities to the people of Yorkshire and beyond. We run cookery classes that will appeal to absolute beginners as well as lessons for enthusiastic amateurs looking to develop their skills in the kitchen. We also offer Team Building food sessions and cookery sessions for groups of friends or colleagues. Friends get-togethers, hen parties, birthday parties and celebrations are just some of the occasions you can choose to celebrate.
Reviewed 24 April 2018

I recently attended the knife skills course and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kate is an excellent instructor and Fraser kept everything running smoothly - a great team who make you feel comfortable and relaxed. If I was to make a couple of observations it would be that although I learned a lot I was expecting something a little more complex such as how to bone a chicken or fillet a fish but then I guess the onus is on me to find out a little more about the content of the course. Second observation is that I think pairing up, whilst practical from a time perspective, means that you can miss some of the processes you are being taught depending upon the generosity of your neighbour!

I must stress these are small points though and that in general I would highly recommend the YCS and I hope to return.

1  Thank richardsonsally64
"introduction"
"taught"
"video"

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Attended after receiving this as a Christmas gift. Brilliant size class with only 8 to a session. Kate and Fraser are very welcoming! Kate made it look so easy! She taught us some handy hints and tips to help with the macaron making at home. Kate was very patient and attentive. The equipment in the school to use was brilliant! Fantastic recipes provided and plenty of samples to take home! I would highly recommend! Thank you!

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I attended the French macaron class run by Kate and Fraser. It was a brilliant day. I learnt so much and can't wait to recreate the wonderful macarons we made yesterday.
Kate is an excellent teacher, calm, knowledgeable, patient and very professional. The kitchen was spacious, well equipped and pleasant to work in. The day was extremely well run with a great lunch provided too.
I will definitely attend more days there and have already been checking out the patisserie courses

1  Thank Christine D
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I purchased this course for my fiancé as he is an accomplished cook but wanted to learn how to safely and skilfully wield a knife in the kitchen. He instead learnt to make soup and spring rolls.

This is a novice course do not attend if you are wanting anything more than a basic cooking class.

YORKCookerySchool, Owner at YORK Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2018

I'm very sorry that you think the class your fiance attended was not as expected.

However, I'd like to clarify that the class description does not promise to create lots of different dishes. The soup and spring rolls are incidental and simply made because we don't like to waste the produce we use to practice the knife skills.

Knife skills and knife safety are the main focus of this class and the techniques listed below were both taught and practised as a group.

I've copied the class description below:

"In this class, you'll learn the techniques which will help you to, not only, chop an onion but finely slice and dice vegetables and herbs. You'll be preparing a selection of seasonal vegetables and herbs to practice your skills which will then be transformed into some simple spring rolls and a tasty, vegetable soup.

Techniques you'll learn will include:
• the 'rock-chop'
• julienne (matchsticks)
• brunoise (fine dice)
• chiffonade (ribbon cut)"

Perhaps you simply booked the wrong class for your fiance.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I received a voucher for Christmas from my wife as I had always wanted to go to a cooking class. She chose here because it looked informal and had a great choice of classes to choose from.

On the day we were greeted with the delicious smell of cooked chorizo, giving us a “taste” of what was to come. The demonstrations were clear and not too long as we all just wanted to get on with it!! The quality of the ingredients was great too and the equipment first class.

The fruits of our labours were devoured at lunchtime and we still had spare to take home with us, which my family loved, so I will definitely be repeating the recipes
at home. I would definitely recommend the York Cookery School to others.

YORKCookerySchool, Owner at YORK Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at YORK Cookery School.

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your day creating Tapas and Pintxos; it all looks and, more importantly, tastes so good, doesn't it?! We thoroughly enjoy sharing our recipes and providing you with the skills to recreate these delicious dishes. I hope you've had the chance to recreate some of the dishes again at home; it's always good to practice your skills soon after the class!

Thank you again for your review and we can't wait to see you again at the School.