Open today: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
Round the World hen party cook off

What can I say! The family team running the school were super warm & friendly - The kitchen was... read more

Reviewed 1 October 2018
L6362CInataliec
via mobile
Cakes and Bakes course.

I attended the cakes and bakes course. I was unsure whether to book this course or not as I do bake... read more

Reviewed 27 July 2018
carlie s
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around York
from US$57.70
The York Dungeon
26 Reviews
from US$16.70
from US$14.70
from US$19.20
More Info
All reviews thai street food macaron making expert guidance learnt loads hen party lots of fun skills equipment workshop classes tutor taught introduction session video chocolate
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Attended after receiving this as a Christmas gift. Brilliant size class with only 8 to a session. Kate and Fraser are very welcoming! Kate made it look so easy! She taught us some handy hints and tips to help with the macaron making at home. Kate was very patient and attentive. The equipment in the school to use was brilliant! Fantastic recipes provided and plenty of samples to take home! I would highly recommend! Thank you!

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I attended the French macaron class run by Kate and Fraser. It was a brilliant day. I learnt so much and can't wait to recreate the wonderful macarons we made yesterday.
Kate is an excellent teacher, calm, knowledgeable, patient and very professional. The kitchen was spacious, well equipped and pleasant to work in. The day was extremely well run with a great lunch provided too.
I will definitely attend more days there and have already been checking out the patisserie courses

1  Thank Christine D
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I purchased this course for my fiancé as he is an accomplished cook but wanted to learn how to safely and skilfully wield a knife in the kitchen. He instead learnt to make soup and spring rolls.

This is a novice course do not attend if you are wanting anything more than a basic cooking class.

1  Thank rachthomson
YORKCookerySchool, Owner at YORK Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2018

I'm very sorry that you think the class your fiance attended was not as expected.

However, I'd like to clarify that the class description does not promise to create lots of different dishes. The soup and spring rolls are incidental and simply made because we don't like to waste the produce we use to practice the knife skills.

Knife skills and knife safety are the main focus of this class and the techniques listed below were both taught and practised as a group.

I've copied the class description below:

"In this class, you'll learn the techniques which will help you to, not only, chop an onion but finely slice and dice vegetables and herbs. You'll be preparing a selection of seasonal vegetables and herbs to practice your skills which will then be transformed into some simple spring rolls and a tasty, vegetable soup.

Techniques you'll learn will include:
• the 'rock-chop'
• julienne (matchsticks)
• brunoise (fine dice)
• chiffonade (ribbon cut)"

Perhaps you simply booked the wrong class for your fiance.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I received a voucher for Christmas from my wife as I had always wanted to go to a cooking class. She chose here because it looked informal and had a great choice of classes to choose from.

On the day we were greeted with the delicious smell of cooked chorizo, giving us a “taste” of what was to come. The demonstrations were clear and not too long as we all just wanted to get on with it!! The quality of the ingredients was great too and the equipment first class.

The fruits of our labours were devoured at lunchtime and we still had spare to take home with us, which my family loved, so I will definitely be repeating the recipes
at home. I would definitely recommend the York Cookery School to others.

Date of experience: April 2018
YORKCookerySchool, Owner at YORK Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at YORK Cookery School.

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your day creating Tapas and Pintxos; it all looks and, more importantly, tastes so good, doesn't it?! We thoroughly enjoy sharing our recipes and providing you with the skills to recreate these delicious dishes. I hope you've had the chance to recreate some of the dishes again at home; it's always good to practice your skills soon after the class!

Thank you again for your review and we can't wait to see you again at the School.

Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed my day at The York Cookery School a birthday gift from my son's.
I chose the bread making course as it was something that I had never attempted probably frightened by the urban myths.
On arrival I received a warm welcome from Fraser the Director oand Dan our professional Chef for the day. The course began with instruction and demonstrations of two types of bread and pizza making then it was our turn to try our hand. Assistance was freely given throughout the process with the odd trick of the trade thrown in. I was pleasantly surprised with my first effort. The course members then dined together enjoying the fruits of their labour, fresh pizza.
A great day out, my thanks to Fraser and Dan for their guidance and patience.

Date of experience: April 2018

Thank you very much for your review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your day making bread with Dan. He loves to share his cooking expertise and we're delighted to have him on board at YORK Cookery School. I do hope you're continuing to create more home-made bread; there really is nothing better!

Thanks again for your comments and we'd love to see you again at the School.