“Knife skills course not as expected”

YORK Cookery School
Ranked #2 of 13 Classes & Workshops in York
More attraction details
Owner description: YORK Cookery School offers a range of food and drink experiences for all ages and abilities to the people of Yorkshire and beyond. We run cookery classes that will appeal to absolute beginners as well as lessons for enthusiastic amateurs looking to develop their skills in the kitchen. We also offer Team Building food sessions and cookery sessions for groups of friends or colleagues. Friends get-togethers, hen parties, birthday parties and celebrations are just some of the occasions you can choose to celebrate.
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I purchased this course for my fiancé as he is an accomplished cook but wanted to learn how to safely and skilfully wield a knife in the kitchen. He instead learnt to make soup and spring rolls.

This is a novice course do not attend if you are wanting anything more than a basic cooking class.

YORKCookerySchool, Owner at YORK Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2018

I'm very sorry that you think the class your fiance attended was not as expected.

However, I'd like to clarify that the class description does not promise to create lots of different dishes. The soup and spring rolls are incidental and simply made because we don't like to waste the produce we use to practice the knife skills.

Knife skills and knife safety are the main focus of this class and the techniques listed below were both taught and practised as a group.

I've copied the class description below:

"In this class, you'll learn the techniques which will help you to, not only, chop an onion but finely slice and dice vegetables and herbs. You'll be preparing a selection of seasonal vegetables and herbs to practice your skills which will then be transformed into some simple spring rolls and a tasty, vegetable soup.

Techniques you'll learn will include:
• the 'rock-chop'
• julienne (matchsticks)
• brunoise (fine dice)
• chiffonade (ribbon cut)"

Perhaps you simply booked the wrong class for your fiance.

All reviews
"introduction"
"taught"
"video"

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I received a voucher for Christmas from my wife as I had always wanted to go to a cooking class. She chose here because it looked informal and had a great choice of classes to choose from.

On the day we were greeted with the delicious smell of cooked chorizo, giving us a “taste” of what was to come. The demonstrations were clear and not too long as we all just wanted to get on with it!! The quality of the ingredients was great too and the equipment first class.

The fruits of our labours were devoured at lunchtime and we still had spare to take home with us, which my family loved, so I will definitely be repeating the recipes
at home. I would definitely recommend the York Cookery School to others.

YORKCookerySchool, Owner at YORK Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at YORK Cookery School.

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your day creating Tapas and Pintxos; it all looks and, more importantly, tastes so good, doesn't it?! We thoroughly enjoy sharing our recipes and providing you with the skills to recreate these delicious dishes. I hope you've had the chance to recreate some of the dishes again at home; it's always good to practice your skills soon after the class!

Thank you again for your review and we can't wait to see you again at the School.

Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed my day at The York Cookery School a birthday gift from my son's.
I chose the bread making course as it was something that I had never attempted probably frightened by the urban myths.
On arrival I received a warm welcome from Fraser the Director oand Dan our professional Chef for the day. The course began with instruction and demonstrations of two types of bread and pizza making then it was our turn to try our hand. Assistance was freely given throughout the process with the odd trick of the trade thrown in. I was pleasantly surprised with my first effort. The course members then dined together enjoying the fruits of their labour, fresh pizza.
A great day out, my thanks to Fraser and Dan for their guidance and patience.

Thank you very much for your review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your day making bread with Dan. He loves to share his cooking expertise and we're delighted to have him on board at YORK Cookery School. I do hope you're continuing to create more home-made bread; there really is nothing better!

Thanks again for your comments and we'd love to see you again at the School.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

We booked York Cookery School for a Team-Building Event in Feb 2018. Our group was a mixture of males and females, of various ages and cooking abilities.
From start to finish, the event was extremely enjoyable and extremely well organized. It worked tremendously well towards our goal of team-building, particularly as quite a few members were new to our Team (including myself!). Fraser and Fiona were very professional but also lots of fun, chipping in with the team and helping everyone. We broke off into smaller groups of 5 and did a Mezze theme, cooking a variety of Spanish, Italian, Indian, Mediterranean and Thai. When finished, the food looked and tasted absolutely... More than we could possibly eat!!!
Overall, the evening was a huge hit with the whole Team and I would absolutely recommend York Cookery School for other groups.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your team-building cookery event at YORK Cookery School.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed yourselves and that you feel you got lots of good team interaction on the day. We enjoyed having you at the Cookery School and you were a fantastic bunch!

Cooking as a team is a great leveller; it's often those who you least expect to perform well whose colours truly shine! It drives everyone to talk to each other in an environment which is usually very different to their day-to-day workplace, helping to bring everyone together.

Thanks again for your review and we'd love to see you again!

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

We took all the family for a Christmas present -they all like cooking from 11 to 68. It was all very well presented with 3 teams of 3 for Spanish Mexico and eastern euro food. The chief was very helpful and the food and equipment was first class. We all had a great time and enjoyed the food we had all cooked .

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your cooking day at YORK Cookery School.

We also had a fantastic time with you all and I'm pleased that you all enjoyed the experience as well as the food you prepared. You all really did take the tasks to hand and everyone got thoroughly involved in the cooking, presentation and finally, devouring the banquet you'd prepared! A great day all round.

Thanks again for your review. It's much appreciated.