1,877 results
All reviews tuck box beautiful hotel garden room train station chapter house elemis toiletries junior suite leisure facilities birthday treat public areas lounge area main building no air con car park lovely touch standard room my mum
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night while we dropped our daughter off for her first year of uni. I must say we were disappointed. First of all the carpark was extremely busy and we had to drive around dodging the numerous delivery vans off loading( I assume wedding gear) finally we just had to leave our car parked at the side on the gravel (you do have to pay £15 for this).Not the best start. On a more positive note, on arrival the young lady on the reception was very friendly and pleasant and even made the effort to talk to my daughter about Uni. We had booked an executive room which consisted of a living area as well as a bedroom. I must say the room was really lovely, very nicely decorated with nice bathroom with roll top bath and separate shower and all was spotless. Extremely comfortable bed and crisp linen.The little tuck box with crisps and biscuits in it was a lovely gesture too. We decide to venture down for some lunch and went into the bar which was busy as you would expect on a Saturday in York. Some tables were free although the previous food orders hadn't been cleared away, however on sitting down this was done and the table wiped. We all ordered sandwiches and a couple of portions of chips. These were in my opinion not what I ordered, as all the breads were toasted, if I had wanted a toastie I would of ordered one and feel that the menu should make it clear that the bread is toasted. the chips also tasted as if they were cooked in old oil. After finishing our lunch we sat there for another 45mins where nobody came to clear the table so I ended up doing it myself as didn't want to sit looking at our half eaten lunch to be honest. As we knew it would be a busy day moving our daughter into her accommodation my husband and I decided to book the hotel restaurant for our evening meal and a well deserved glass of wine. Big mistake. The restaurant in my opinion is more like a casual eating place for burgers etc, fine for breakfast or lunch but not a nice evening meal. Again, unfortunately the food was poor. We both ordered T bone steaks which certainly are not worth the £35 price tag. Mine was okish as I had requested it well done, however my husbands was extremely fatty and pretty tasteless. Same chips as lunch time but at least the oil tasted fresher. I am also surprised there was no bread offered when we ordered drinks and the food was very slow in coming to our table. When the wine came it was opened and promptly poured without asking if we wanted to taste it, again surprising. I wasn't expecting silver service however I do expect the basic service in a four star hotel. We took our remainder wine through to the lounge however as we were the only ones in there we decided to retire to bed. In the morning we had arranged to meet our daughter in the hotel for breakfast ( as a mum I wanted to make sure she had a substantial breakfast as being a new student I wasn't sure when her next decent meal would be) to be honest we would of been better going to a well known fast food outlet as this was the worst breakfast I have ever had in a hotel. Long queue to actually get seated , the table we were seated at was half set. After brushing off the crumbs on the chairs from the previous occupants I ventured up to the cold buffet , which consisted of juices , yogurts, cereals etc which you would expect to find, however no selection of cold meats, cheeses etc which is pretty standard in 4 star hotels. The hot buffet which was situated behind a large table of 8 made it very difficult to manoeuvre round . The food itself was horrible, luke warm, cheap sausages, fatty bacon etc, as you probably guess I gave that a miss. The icing on the cake was that I asked for a cup for my coffee twice and finally when I did receive one it was dirty . So to summarise, the hotel rooms are really nice , the reception staff are lovely, the location is great, the food is shocking!!! I am sure anyone reading this review might be asking themselves why I didn't complain during my stay and anyone who knows me would be a little baffled however the reason I didn't complain is because I didn't want to cause added stress and upset to my daughter or ourselves as anyone who has left their child at Uni for the first time understands how emotional and unsettling this is . This could be an amazing hotel but sadly its not. Wouldn't go again.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank cheryl b
THarrisonGM, General Manager at The Principal York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Cheryl b

We value all feedback and are truly sorry that your experience was not to our expected standards.

Our aim is to provide outstanding service and accommodation for all our guests and your comments will be reviewed with the relevant teams. I am saddened to read that you did not speak with our Management team during your stay providing us with the opportunity to resolve any disappointment to your satisfaction.

I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Principal is a wonderful hotel and York is a really charming city.

My now-fiance and I stayed just the one night but didn't want our trip to end.

The hotel building is very grand, the garden is beautiful and peaceful, and the interior design makes the whole place feel very palatial. It was absolutely perfect for a romantic getaway... I actually proposed in the hotel gardens by the fountain at night!

We stayed in a suite and I would recommend everyone ask for room 101 if you are considering a suite. It was at the front and centre of the hotel on the first floor. The view from the room looked straight down the walkway to the fountain. The room itself was very spacious, stylishly furnished and exuded luxury.

The staff were all very friendly and made the effort to check us in early at our request. A few different members of staff kindly took time out to take photos of us after we got engaged which was a nice touch too.

The swimming pool could do with being renovated and I think most would agree with this. It felt like we were in an entirely different calibre of hotel when we went for a dip, but other than that I cannot fault this superb hotel.

After such a impressive and memorable trip, we have vowed to return every few years to revisit the place we got engaged.

Room Tip: Pick suite 101! You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M90UK

Dear M90UK

Sounds like you had an amazing time and congratulations to you both on your engagement.

Thank you for choosing The Principal York and we hope we can welcome many times in the future.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Travelling by train the hotel is ideal as it is accessed from the platform. All areas were clean and well presented. Comfy room with all the expected facilities. Without exception all the staff were friendly and professional. A nice range of drinks in the bar. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent -tasty and in sensible amounts. I was particularly impressed with the staff's interaction with a couple of small boys rather than just ignoring them. However, the let down in the stay was the breakfast - a pity as it has the tastiest black pudding that I've ever had. The hot buffet selection was very good BUT all the food was barely warm in my opinion, even allowing for it being a buffet rather than cooked to order. Staff when informed were apologetic but that didn't make up for the meal. I'd try the hotel again in the hope that there would be an improvement in the warmth.

Room Tip: Light sleepers might prefer a room away from the railway station
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo

Dear Hatt

I am pleased that our location was ideal for your visit to York and our team looked after you during your stay.

We value all feedback and your comments regarding breakfast will be reviewed accordingly. I can advise that we have not recently receieved any other comments regarding this but will investigate that all the breakfast heating elements are working correctly. Had our Duty Manager or Guest Services team been aware of your disappointment at the time we would have made every effort to resolve your resulting dissatisfaction.

Please accept our apologies and we sincerely hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had hoped to stay in a smaller hotel closer to York Minster, but this elegant vestige of the Victorian era was a better option because of its proximity to the train station, its excellent included breakfast buffet and how easy it was to walk across the river and into the old city. Victorian, yes, but totally up-to-date and very comfortable. It has a huge and gorgeous reading room space but we had no time to linger there over tea and scones, unfortunately. Lack of laundry services on the weekend was a problem.

Room Tip: We were on the floor below the lobby, so no view. Upper-level rooms include a view of York Minster and the old city.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
THarrisonGM, General Manager at The Principal York, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear KBKansas

We value your feedback as we strive to improve with each and every stay and it is great to read your appreciation of the Victorian listed building and our location.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A beautiful building and a comfortable room. However there was not air conditioning even though this is a supposed quality hotel. It was extremely hot in our room. The breakfast was reasonable but lacked finesse. A poor selection of fruit and bread. The service was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Dear dennis_anthony

Great to read you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Principal York.

We appreciate your feedback and will review your comments accordingly with the team.

Please come and visit us again soon.